Unawatuna Tourist Traps

by planxty
    by planxty

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Unawatuna

• planxty's Profile Photo

Very, very poor and not typical.

by planxty Updated Mar 7, 2014

Thilak bar, Unawatuna, Sri Lanka.

I should preface this tip by saying that my experiences in Sri Lanka have been overwhelmingly positive and I intend to return here as soon as circumstances allow. However, as I stated in my intro page for Unawatuna, I really do hope that this is not the future for this lovely country, I would hate to see it go like some other places in Asia have gone.

The tourist trap I am writing about here is the Thilak (alleged) restaurant and bar on the seafront towards the end where the Buddhist temple sits on the hill ( see separate tip). It really is the worst place I have been in the country and I am writing this after over two months travelling there. There are dozens of these places all along the front and I merely picked this one at random. A mistake but one that was rectified at the (inflated) cost of one bottle of beer.

I walked in past what were obviously the staff, so the excuse they did not see me does not hold water. They proceeded to totally ignore me for about ten minutes (normally my threshold) when one of them deigned to amble over and ask what I wanted. I ordered my beer and waited at least another five minutes for it to be served. They were not busy, everyone was on the beach, they just could not be bothered. I know standards of service are different in different places but this was just blatant idleness and ignorance by any cultural standards.

One of the images I have included should tell you all you know about this place. They don't even serve food at sunset, which is when a lot of travellers like to come out and eat. Obviously, they are too busy selling overpriced alcohol and cannot be bothered to employ sufficient kitchen staff. I think this tells you all you need to know about this appalling place.

I re-iterate that it gives me no pleasure to write negative reviews but I will do when required and this place certainly requires it. Avoid at all costs.

Incidentally, as a matter of principle, I refuse to post any contact details for this awful establishment. This is not laziness, merely a desire not to promote them.

Unique Suggestions: You do not need to go here, there are a thousand eating houses in Unawatuna.

Fun Alternatives: The alternative is just about any other restaurant / bar in town.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• jo104's Profile Photo

tuk tuk overcharging

by jo104 Written Feb 10, 2014

I was not very impressed with the overcharging system here in unawatuna even the kocals say the tuk tuk drivers charge lkr150 for 1km I am afraid I just won't pay this on principal maybe 100 is ok but if you can walk it then better. Lkr150 should cover at least 2km think of giving each km as lkr50 then consider how inflated the costs are.

Be prepared to walk away or catch a bus one stop which will only be lkr10 what a big difference.

Unique Suggestions: Ask your hotel to organise someone for you they should have people that won't rip you off or hire a scooter

Instant Answers: Unawatuna

Comments

Unawatuna Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Unawatuna tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Unawatuna sightseeing.