Weligama Travel Guide

Main Street, Weligama, Sri Lanka.
    by planxty
    Bus station, Weligama, Sri Lanka.
    by planxty
    Jonees restaurant, Weligama, Sri Lanka.

Weligama Hotels

Weligama Restaurants

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Food, Jonees restaurant, Weligama, Sri Lanka. 4 more images

by planxty Updated Mar 25, 2014

If you have read my introduction to Weligama which, at time of writing has a mere single tip supplied by the very well-respected VT member sachara you will have got an idea that it is not a very much travelled place and you will also know that I didn't even intend to be there, I merely needed to use the facilities!

Fortunately, within 100 yards of the central bus station I spied Jonee's which looked like a modern "fast food" sort of operation as opposed to some of the little shacks (normally calling themselves hotels) that constitute such a percentage of eateries off the main tourist beat. I have no problem with them, indeed I love them but this was close.

I wandered in, availed myself of the spotless bathroom (not always the case in Asia), took a seat and had a look round. The entire place was as I described it, it was a "fast food" joint of a type that I would never patronise at home. It was MacDonalds', KFC, Burger King all rolled into one but please read on.

I have made a very interesting discoveries in Sri Lanka. Firstly, the food may be sold in large quantity with a huge turnover of tables but it is not necessarily "fast in that, depending what you order, it may well be made from scratch and can be absolutely delightful totally unlike the often sorry offerings we get in UK.

I was served by a young man with reasonable English who provided me with a very extensive menu. I had a little bit of a delicate stomach that day so didn't want my usual rice and curry which can be a little fiery and so opted for something Western, namely fish fingers and chips (fries). OK, I know it is fried but it seemed wiser than devilled chicken. The young man told me it might be a few mnutes and I told him that was quite OK as I was in no hurry and ordered myself an Bitter Lemon (the premises are not licensed).

The wait gave me a time for a closer look at the premises and, more importantly for me, the clentele. There was a large buffet area where people came to have their lunch packets made up and packed in boxes. This is a common practice in Sri Lanka, you basically choose what you like from a large selection of dishes and they put it in a box whereupon you take it back to your office and eat it. It is the ultimate in takeaway food. I have regularly eaten lunchpackets in this country and they are gorgeous. My word, the place even had it's own fresh fruit chiller full of excellent looking produce.

I digress, as always. The young man told me that someone was making my fish fingers. What? Making fish fingers? Where I come from they are something you dig out of the freezer when you feel lazy. When they arrived, as shown in the image, they were in fact what I would describe as fish goujons containing the most beautiful firm white fish imaginable which were literally out of the frier along with the chips (fries) which obviously had not been sitting under a lamp for an hour. Everything was crips and dry with not a trace of grease. Offered with the usual slightly spicy tomato sauce and well-presented, it was a meal that would not have disgraced a much more expensive place.

Yes, I know I am going on a bit about a simple meal in a fast food place but eating in Sri Lanka really is that good.

Favorite Dish: Well, the "fish fingers" and chips (fries) as described were excellently executed.

Instant Answers: Weligama

Comments

Weligama Travel Guide
Map of Weligama