Colombo What to Pack

Most Recent What to Pack in Colombo

• brdwtchr's Profile Photo

Packing List

by brdwtchr Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: My back pack was all I had most of the trip and turned out to be all I needed.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Nearly every one in Sri Lanka carried an umbrella. On sunny days it would be used for shade. I wanted to keep both hands free to use my cameras so I did not take one. I would suggest some sort of a light weight rain coat that could also serve as a wind breaker if you go into the hill country.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I got heart burn from all the curry I ate on my trip. Next trip I am going to take some antacid tablets like tums or rolaids.

Photo Equipment: I took lots of film with me. I was afraid I could not find places to buy film once I got there. I need not have worried about it. Most of the time I was in Sri Lanka there were places nearby to get film and it was not terribly expensive.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Consider taking a bug repellant if you are going to be doing certain out door activities. Sun screen would also be an obvious choice.

Miscellaneous: Keep what is essential to you with you because the air lines lost my luggage for a week. I got it back two days before I was to return home.

• Tenzin's Profile Photo

Packing List

by Tenzin Written Aug 24, 2002

Luggage and bags: The safari trips offer decent value for money. Remember to bring along a good pair of binoculars, suntan lotion, water and mosquito repellent. I like the variety of bird life in particular. Don't get too near the wild elephants though. I saw a porcupine for the first time in my life and was absolutely delighted. It was in captivity though. Can anybody tell me how they reproduce? The locals don't seem to know either. Ouch Ouch Ouch.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring a light rain coat instead of an umbrella. That frees up both hands. It's easier to wear slippers when you visit the temples. Less chance of loss and easier to take off.

Miscellaneous: Most hotels serve mediocre tea and bland coffee. I had expected tea to be of a far higher standard considering Sri Lanka's reputation as the world's key tea exporter. Maybe that's the problem, the good tea all get exported! That's also true for Sri Lankan crabs. It's the national dish in Singapore but it doesn't come cheap over there not is it commonly found.

Instant Answers: Colombo

Comments

Colombo What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Colombo what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Colombo sightseeing.