Tam Shiu, Taipei

by jil_coleslaw
  • matt_of_asia's Profile Photo

Tam Shui riverside madness

by matt_of_asia Written Aug 22, 2006

Dogs with sunglasses? Street erhu?

Ride the MRT down to Tam Shui and you have a world of opportunity awaiting you. Just get through the crowds! There are so many food vendors and interesting stores in the area, and its a great place to sit in a nice restaurant with a view of the water at sunset and in the evening.

Watch as the ferries take the crowds across the river. Marvel as the vendors shout. Look for strange dogs with fantastic dyed hair which cost more than your suit mixing with street dogs starving for garbage! marvel at the rickety houses and house-boats that survive typhoons somehow, next to centuries old temples and Starbucks.

Go visit the street market and get yourself some clothes. Or some carvings. Or anything except something normal.

• Thamsui- beautiful scenery with great foods.

by mufen Written Jun 11, 2004

Thamsui

Although it's abit far away from the city.. but it is definitely a MUST visit place! Hope I didn't remember it wrongly :p, using the MRT to the Tamshui, it should be about an hour, plus another hour from the Tamshui station to the "Yu Ren Ma Tou" by bus.. But, believe me, all your tiredness will be washed away when you seen the beautiful scenery, especially during sun set!

Once you came out from the MRT station, there is a place where you can find plenty of hawkers selling all sort of delicious food, souveniers, games, etc. Part of the restaurants/ stalls do actually situation alongside the river/ sea?? Hahaa.. sorry that I can’t remember it well too.. :p For me, I’ve tried a claypot crab noodles in one of these restaurant while enjoying the view..ahaha.. so wish I’m there now!

After enjoying and shopping around nearby the station, you can then start journey to the “Yu Ren Ma Tou”. The bus station is just opposite the station, or alternatively you can take a cab there too. The picture in the intro page shows somewhere near the entrance of the “Yu Ren Ma Tou”.. and of course.. there are a lot more great sceneries to discover!

Some tiny advices.. maybe you would consider to visit her only during weekdays or non-holidays, as going there during weekends can be really packed! Especially when you are trying to get a public transport, either by bus or cab.

• jil_coleslaw's Profile Photo

Tam Shiu, Taipei

by jil_coleslaw Updated Mar 28, 2004

little-pip at Tam Shiu

it was quite cold when I was in Tam Shiu (well, it was quite cold in November and Tam Shiu is just near the sea). took the MTR underground and spent 45 mintues to reach there. i was smart to bring along my MD player and my travel dairy.

my parents told me that there are some interesting shops selling the old-styled toys (not antiquities) which made by wood, bomboo, paper...they also asked me to buy them some and traditional medicine (they had been there 3 months before my trip!!!).

i ate a lot of street snack and walked a lot. walk...walk...walk...to the University (I didn't realize there is a University) and toured around (it was the school day on Monday, so I "hided" under the window outside of classroom, some students just waved their hands to me while the class was going on!!).

after the school tour, i had my afternoon tea in a decent cafe -- Bay Watch and spent almost 3 hours on wrting letters and postcard and enjoying the sunset.

attractions:
    Old street (local food, handcraft)
    Bay Watch (tel: 02-2620-0448)

• mim95's Profile Photo

Tamshui - waterfront fun

by mim95 Updated Dec 11, 2003

Tamshui River

Enjoy the waterfront walk along Tamshui River after getting off the MRT. There are lots of restaurants and snack stalls on the main street.

Tamshui is also famous for its sunset, which we missed unfortunately as we needed to catch our flight home.

Instant Answers: Taipei