Ayuthaya Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Ayuthaya

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Watch Local Thais Worshiping

by machomikemd Written Nov 2, 2013

One good example of watching how local thais worship and buy associated buddhist related items is along Wat Naphrame. if you book an ayuthaya tour that goes to this wat and the 2,000 year old mon buddha sitting next to the main temple, you will see lots of stalls in the temple that sells buddhist religious stuffs rather than regular tourists souvenir items and you would see the local thais worshipping even outside the main wat.

it is truly a magnificent experience to see this.

• Architecture
    • Religious Travel

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Buy Coconut Ice Drops

by machomikemd Written Nov 2, 2013

one of the specialty products in Ayuthaya besides the coconut ice cream, are the coconut ice drops, the ice drops are molded into rectangular shapes, much like the popsicle ice cream and the flavors available are plain coconut, young coconut and coconut with jack fruit, coconut with mango flavors. the price of a coconut ice drop, whatever the flavor is, is about 25 baht per ice drop and it sure beats the humidity around the area. after this, you can now drink coconut juice.

try them and then try the coconut ice cream too, they are different from one another.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Elephants

by Willettsworld Written Oct 25, 2009

Lythonglian Meepan and his wife established the Ayutthaya Elephant Palace and Royal Kraal in 1996. Since then it has launched progressive programs to rehabilitate sick elephants, retrain killer bulls and increase the elephant population with more breeding. There have been 32 successful births since 2000.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Give Flowers

by easterntrekker Written Sep 27, 2006

Flowers

As in all of Thailand flowers are everywhere. I love how people buy them to give to each other so easily. Even in the simplest of accomadations or restaurants its common to see flwers . Oh ! I know that they are raelly easy to give here , since they are plentiful and cheap . But i think its more than that , its the gentle caring ways of the Thai that come through when I see a beautiful flower on a little wooden restaurant table.

In Auytthaya too , there were little stands along the streets with flowers for sale.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• neurochic's Profile Photo

Be Respectful

by neurochic Written Dec 21, 2005

At Ayutthaya you will come across many Buddhist statues. In Thai culture you should not enter a temple or Buddha shrine as a female with your arms being bare or your legs. So basically no tank tops and shorts or short miniskirts when visiting these areas. Now believe me I was hot as heck visiting the many sites in the Thai sun and when I wasn't visiting a temple I had on a tank top but just make sure you have a long sleeved shirt to cover up when viewing areas that the Thai consider holy.

• Religious Travel

• idy's Profile Photo

To Market, To Market!

by idy Updated Mar 23, 2005

The whiff of barbeque at Chao Phrom Market

Locals mainly buy and sell produce (vegetables, fruits, raw meat), cooked food (Thai salads, takeaway pad thai, cut fruit, chilled drinks) and various other products (even plastic flowers!) at the market.

Game for some inexpensive local food? Have some noodles at the streetside noodle stall, buy some takeaway pad thai or barbequed meat, snack on crispy insects, have a mango salad whipped up on the spot, or enjoy some freshly cut fruit!

• Rivers

Khlongs

Believed it or not, there are too many khlongs(rivers) here in Thailand. The photo in the side was in Ayuthaya right infront of the Wat Chaiwatthanaram, this one is a continuation of the river in Chao Phraya River which means it's Chao Phraya River, where it will take you 3 to 4 hours cruise from Ayuthaya to Bangkok! A long way around...

• Wat

Viewing the Famous Landmark

I saw this one when we we're cruising. And I always saw this whenever I cruise the Chao Phraya. When we're approaching to Bangkok from Ayuthaya by cruise, I saw this Wat Arun that were really stunning and even very beautiful. I just took this at the ground of the cruise so, you'll notice that the photo isn't that nice as what I said!

• A kid Selling..

A kid seeling..

I saw this kid seeling those toys stuff and don't know if he already had sell any..You can see many children selling any kinds of stuffs. It's not new to me because in my home country, there are even too many of them..I just won't go to details..

• Along the river

Along the river

There are different kinds of things that you will see along the River in or around Thailand. Like this one here, you can see temples in different style. And of course they are precious to their religion. You can witness..anything if you will have the time to cruise!

• dabuwan's Profile Photo

Local guys

by dabuwan Updated Apr 10, 2003

Some local guys and me

There a few local guys hanging around the ruins looking for tourists.
    Some of them would like to play as guides, others try to sell you something, etc. They do not insist that much and sometimes they just want to have a talk with you.

• dabuwan's Profile Photo

The dark crypts

by dabuwan Updated Apr 10, 2003

Flashlight in a dark crypt

Inside some of the temples there are some small crypts that are accessible through some narrow tunnels carved in the stone.
    As there are no windows, it's completely dark in there; I had no torch with me so I could only take a couple of shots with my camera without knowing what I was photographing.
    I discovered a few days later (when I had my pics printed) that there were some statues of standing buddhas with offerings from the devotees.

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

Flower Offerings

by Audrey118 Written Mar 17, 2003

It is common to see people bringing or buying flowers to offer at the Buddhist temples - along with money offerings etc.

Also they adorn the temples with garlands of fresh flwoers, and also pots of them. Some are magnificently created.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Cobra Story Part 2

by herzog63 Written Feb 19, 2003

My Friends

I didn't turn the light on as I was going to the refrigerator. As I could see where it was. But as I stepped barefoot down one step into the kitchen I stepped on something squishy and it was moving! Oh my god I've stepped on a Cobra!! With my heart pounding I jumped back into the living room trying to get away from it! I didn't get bit but I was breathing pretty heavy so I turned the light on to investigate the situation. As I peeked around the corner and looked down where I had stepped....Whew... it was a toad! Gosh my son and I still laugh about this story! I'm just glad it wasn't a Cobra.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Cobra story

by herzog63 Written Feb 19, 2003

My friends

One evening I was sitting around in my friends house which is located out of the city so his house is near a small forest. He was telling me a story that had happened to him a month before I arrived. He and his family had gone for a family outing and left for the whole day. They thought that they had closed all of the doors to the house before leaving but accidentally left one small door in the kitchen open. (The kitchen is on the backside of the house near the forest) When they returned in the evening his wife went to the kitchen to prepare some food and as she turned the light on there was a Cobra right in the middle of the kitchen floor!! She screamed and ran for Wakin (my friend) and told him that there was a cobra in the kitchen! So he peeked around the corner and sure enough there was a mad Cobra sitting up in the kitchen. He didn't want anyone in his family getting bit so he had them all hide on one of the bedrooms as he was trying to figure out how to get rid of the serpent! He decided to call the police! The dispatcher just laughed at him because he is also a police officer! And he told him he should take care of it himself! He had his gun but didn't want to shot holes in his kitchen! So he gathered up some of his tools (hammers and wrenches) and went to the entrance of the kitchen holding a broom in one hand and a hammer in the other. He threw the hammer at the snake and missed it! So he grabbed another hammer and threw and that one was a direct hit! He killed it! Whew! As he told me the story I was thinking of all of the times that I have walked into his kitchen without turning on the light! My eyes were big and my sons eyes were even bigger as he told the story! About 10 minutes later I was thirsty and had recovered from listening to the story so I went to the kitchen to get some water. Continued .....

Instant Answers: Ayuthaya

Comments

Ayuthaya Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Ayuthaya local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ayuthaya sightseeing.