Ban Khao Yai Off The Beaten Path

by love2wander

Best Rated Off The Beaten Path in Ban Khao Yai

Elephant Loaf

Elephant Poop

At the opposite end of the lake (at KM35) you will see the area where the elephants leave their huge elephant size droppings!! So watch your step! I don't know if it's gathered up or not but there was only fresh stuff in the area which led me to believe that something is done with it each day. Decorations maybe??

Narrow paths...

Lam I taw trail

Here you can see the path is a beaten but narrow path. This is part or big hike that started in the fields and went through the forest and back out to the main road and ended very near the Cobra area!! Although we didn't see any Cobras or Tigers but apparantly both can be found in the area. These grasses also carry leeches if it has been raining which we discovered!! Make noise so any of the big game will know that you're coming down the trail! You don't want to surprise a Tiger! You won't win!!

Lantern bug

Lantern Bug

This cool looking bug came flying through the thickets and just barely missed my head then he land on a tree right near my head. Then the scramble was on to get my camera out and ready before he took off! Well he just sat there allowing me to take several photos with and without flash! Thank goodness for Macro. With the help of VT member Epicult he told me that they were common in Secondary -growth Forests and thats where I was!! Check out his pages for some awesome Central America adventures!!

• Jungle and Rain Forest

Monitor Lizard

Monitor Lizard

We spotted this Monitor Lizard in the river. But they can also be spotted on land. I don't know if they are dangerous..They sure look like they could be. I do know that they are afraid of humans because I have spooked them a couple times and they have scurried into the underbrush. To see the lizard good you will have to enlarge the photo as his body is mostly under the water.

Horned Bills

Hornbills of Khao Yai

One of the main attractions of Khao Yai is the populations of the hornbills! There are several species that can be found here. Including Great Hornbill, Wreathed Hornbill, Indian Pied Hornbill, Rhinoceros Hornbill. I spotted 3 of them. I'm not sure which species that I saw. They sure are beautiful. But I couldn't get a photo as 2 of them were flying. The 3rd one was sitting down over an embankment on the top of a tree and wasn't much higher than eye level. By the time I got my telephoto lense onto my camera and was just getting the bird focused he flew away!!! To see these birds are amazing as they look like something from the past! Sorry that I don't have a cool photo of one of the birds...You'll have to settle for a picture of one of the informational boards that I saw.

Gibbons

by herzog63 Updated Aug 18, 2003

Gibbon Area...

Well...I was hoping to see a Gibbon or two here at Khao Yai..But the closest was hearing a male in the morning! We could see the trees moving and his call that he was making...You'll have to contact VT member Zrim about the sound that he was making. Zrim is the VT expert on animal sounds!! We missed seeing a few of them in the trees as we met a group of people that were hiking on another trail in the opposite direction as us and they told us that they had passed some but by the time we arrived they were gone.

King Fishers

by herzog63 Updated Aug 15, 2003

Birds of Khao Yai

I enjoyed watching the King Fishers that hung out in the nearby trees around some of the watering holes. They must have some awesome eyesight because you could see them just scanning the water surface then they would take off at lightning speed and hit the surface of the water at full force and come up with a small snack each time!! I wasn't able to capture any of these beauties with my camera either so I took a photo of the sign that had them.

2 Deer in the forest

Sambar Deer

The Sambar Deer are quite easy to spot at many places in the park. If you have your own transportation just drive slow and scan the forests and fields and you'll be sure to see some of them. Many times they were in groups of 4-8.

• herzog63's Profile Photo

How many legs does this guy have?

Centepede

Centipedes are quite common throughout south-east asia. Some of them are Poisonous but I don't which ones. I just don't want to get bit by any of them. LOL It's cool to watch all of those legs move at the same time.

• love2wander's Profile Photo

A scenic drive from Pak Chong

by love2wander Written Jun 5, 2006

Panoramic view of countryside along Hwy 2247

Pak Chong is a town about 20KM north ot Khao Yai National Park. There are several resorts, vineyards and golf courses in this area too.

I took a leisure 3 hrs drive along Hwy 2247 north from Pak Chong, westward along Hwy 205 and then southward back to Pak Chong along Hwy 2243.

• HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Caving!

by HasTowelWillTravel Written Sep 3, 2011

There are some destinations around the Ban Khao Yai area that are interesting to visit. There are a set of caves that run along side the park. The caves are situated near a Buddhist temple, and back in the day, the monks would go into the caves and meditate, to isolate themselves from the world. These caves run for quite a length, and after crawling around you come to a grotto with a Buddhist statue. There is an opening above, which you can see the sky above as the light comes down on the statue. It is an incredible place to visit, and gives another dimension to your trip to the park.

• Hiking and Walking

Way cool plant life!

Cool plant

I wish I would have taken more photos of the cool plant life that I got to see there were others that were as cool as this and probably even cooler. These tropical plants are just way cool to me!

• Jungle and Rain Forest

Heading into the jungle

bungle in the jungle

Here is the start of the jungle..We were'nt sure what we would find inside but we ventured in and came out alive!! LOL There was quite a discussion or whether or not even go in but we did!!

Instant Answers: Ban Khao Yai

Comments

Ban Khao Yai Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Ban Khao Yai off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ban Khao Yai sightseeing.