Ban Khao Yai Warnings and Dangers

Bee hive

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Ban Khao Yai

Leech City!!

by herzog63 Updated Oct 1, 2003

If you go on hikes after a rain which can be quite common on Khao Yai. You will encounter leeches!! I wish I would've taken photos of them. These things can sense body heat or smell you or something. When we stopped walking we could just see the things climbing end over end coming out wet leaves. My friend Pla had brought some Anti-leach repellent ( Kor Yor15) (¡Â15) that worked very well but I didn't fully understand how it worked. I didn't apply it thick enough...so I ended up with leeches on me that had to be burned off. Then my friend did a demonstration of letting the leeches come right up to his feet then they would stop and not touch is anti-leech covered feet. After that I put alot of the lotion on and even put it all over my sandals! No more leeches for me! To avoid all of this just hike in long pants and good shoes!!! LOL

Leech City

Scorpion on the trail

by herzog63 Written Aug 18, 2003

Keep an eye on the trail if you hiking like we were in rubber sandals (flip-flops). On the Gong Gheo Hike which we did in the afternoon after a rain shower came through the area we were walking along watch the trail and the leaves for leeches as the area was infested with them. I had gotten a little ahead of my companions so I stopped in the trail to look around for them but they came right around the corner. Then Pla (My Friend) calls out "Hey! There's a scorpion"! I said "Where" as I looked down to my right scanning the foliage for it! I didn't see it and then Pla said "On the other side" Sure enough there it was about two feet from my unprotected left foot! LOL It was so cool to see a scorpion like this. I had never seen a scorpion before. It was green and big! Since it was the first Scorpion I'd ever seen I had to take about 20 photos with the digital camera. Then we let him on his way but we made him promise not to sting us! My friend that lives in Thailand said he had never seen a Green one or one that was that big before! He was big enough to eat! After that my eyes where big looking for any kind of creepy crawlers that were going to come out of the undergrowth!!
    It was very interesting to watch this guy as he didn't really like us. He would look up and swing his claws around and then walk more and do the same thing all over again. He would also raise up his stinger in a menacing way too!

Scorpion Ready for attack
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Do not pick the fruit and leave the area them same

by herzog63 Written Aug 17, 2003

We were told by a warden that it's illegal to pick any fruit in the park as it's a National Park and every thing should be left as you have found it! Somewhere in the region of 1000 baht per lime!! It's much cheaper to go to the market in Pak Chong!! LOL So I just took a picture of them.
    If you pack in garbage on a hike you must pack it back out!! There are trash bins placed around the park for this.

Wild Limes ..don't eat them!

Cobra Crossing!

by herzog63 Written Aug 17, 2003

This is the first time I've ever seen a sign along the road that said "Cobra Crossing"! It sure sounded interesting when we first encountered it. I thought maybe we would see some attempting to cross the road. But we didn't. But the next day we had a spooky encounter with the same sign. Our morning hike ended up coming out of the forest right in this area. Just being in the area and seeing that sign while hiking in flip-flops made my ankles hurt! LOL I kept thinking one of those things was going to come out of the grass and bite me!

Cobra Crossing sign

Elephant warning area!

by herzog63 Written Aug 17, 2003

At about KM 32 you will encounter this sign. Well after cruising around so much looking for elephants I figured this area would be a good one to hang out in to increase my odds of seeing an elephant. My odds may have increased but I still didn't see one!!

Elephant warning sign

Beware of the Gaur

by herzog63 Written Aug 16, 2003

There are areas that you will be hiking through that have the possibilities of encountering wild and dangerous animals. The Gaur is one of them. This is what our domestic cows of today were originally bred from. These Gaur can be 2 meters at the shouolder and can weigh 900 kg!! You don't want to meet one on the trail!! We never spotted one.

warning sign

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Watch your stinger it might get stung!

by herzog63 Written Aug 16, 2003

This is a funny story as we needed to use the urinal so we walked across the parking lot to the place where it was but as we entered we discovered that the place was infested with some sort of wasp or hornet..I'm not really sure. Every urinal had 15-50 of the buggers just sitting inside them. I don't know what attracted them! I had to go so bad that I just stood back a couple of feet and took aim!! They did'nt care for the shower that I gave them and they started buzzing and flying around! I looked out behind the building and there were even more of the insects back there!

Buzzing urinals

Climbing the rocks

by herzog63 Written Aug 16, 2003

If you're not sure footed and want to get into some of the pools for swimming you better take your time! Some to the rocks that are under the water during the times that the water is higher can be quite slippery!! But if you're part goat by all means just have a blast!!

Cimbing from rock to rock

Rocks in the pools

by herzog63 Updated Aug 16, 2003

There are warnings at many of the waterfalls to beware of the rocks and not to dive headfirst into the pools under the falls. So unless you scout the area first you will be better safe than sorry. I think all of the signs were written Thai. I asked my friends what the signs said. Also during the rainy season the currents can be very strong! And swimming is not allowed at all at the water falls that are really high! I guess the wardens don't want people going over the edge!! LOL Probably it's bad for business!!

Nam Tok Hew Suwat

Bee hives

by herzog63 Written Aug 15, 2003

Don't disturb the bee hives. I guess this is just common sense but there is alway some goofball that just wonders if the bees are home and has got to tap the side of the hive!! Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz You don't want to get the bee's angry at you! LOL

Bee hive

Animal trails

by herzog63 Written Aug 14, 2003

If you look closely at the photo or enlarge it you can see the lines passing through the fields. These are where animals have passed from the forest through the field to get to the watering hole. You will want to scan the fields ahead of time and pay attention as you hike through these areas as there are Gaur and Wild Boar, Tigers and leopards that all frequent the area. They will probably be as afraid of you as you are of them but you don't want to surprise any of them as they will attack if they feel scared!

Game trails

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Some People (wimps) think the water is cold!

by herzog63 Written Aug 16, 2003

LOL Well, I thought the water was great and my son did too after he got inside the water. But it took him a while to get in. My advice just jump in then you will acclimate much faster!!

Instant Answers: Ban Khao Yai

Comments

Ban Khao Yai Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Ban Khao Yai warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ban Khao Yai sightseeing.