Democracy Monument, Bangkok

Thanon Ratchadamnoen Klang

Know about this? Rate It!

• Democracy Monument
    by imran8852
  • Democracy Monument
    by imran8852
    A LITTLE PIECE OF THE CITY-Bangkok.
    by mamasan69
  • imran8852's Profile Photo

Our Landmark...

by imran8852 Updated Mar 3, 2008

Favorite thing: The beautiful flowers around the monument are what attract us to snap some photos in the first place.
    Every time we pass by around this monument, we know that we're nearly reaching the guest house that we stayed so this is some sort of landmark for us too.
    The monument was designed by Mew Aphaiwong & The Italian sculptor Corrado Feroci who was a Thai citizen and used the Thai name Silpa Bhirasi, executed the relief sculptures around the base of the monument.
    To find out more about the history of this monument pls. check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Monument

Fondest memory: So Many Things!

• Adventure Travel

• mamasan69's Profile Photo

MY FIRST TASTE OF THAILAND

by mamasan69 Updated May 14, 2005

Favorite thing: My stay in Bangkok was limited; and because of this I would have to say that the Golden Mountain and Democracy Monument, were my favorite places to visit so far. I didn't make it to the Grand Palace or Reclining Buddha on this trip so I can't compare the two. My brother and I were late getting back into Bangkok and both sites were closing, so I will have to see them next time.
    The view from the top of the Golden Mountain is spectacular, and the Democracy Monument is something everyone visiting Bangkok should see, representing a very important part of Thai history.

Fondest memory: Besides the airport, Khao San Road was the first "taste" of Thailand I ever had. My brother told me many stories about his previous trip here, but until I arrived on Khao San, this is a place I will never forget.
    The sounds, sites, people (local and tourist), lights, and bars are all something that you have to see to believe. It left an impression on me, and is just one of the many places in
    Thailand that will keep me coming back in the future.

A LITTLE PIECE OF THE CITY-Bangkok.
    • School Holidays

• awayhome's Profile Photo

Democracy Monument

by awayhome Updated Mar 26, 2004

Favorite thing: A-Nu-Sa-Va-Ree-Pra-Cha-Thip-Pa-Tai or The Democracy Monument, located in a traffic roundabout on Ratchadamnoen Avenue, symbolizes the most important change in the Thai political system, from absolute monarchy to constitutional monarchy that took place on 24 June 1932. The foundation stone of the monument was laid on June 24, 1939 and the monument was completed the next year. So far, it is the most outstanding and biggest monument in Bangkok.

• jrs1234's Profile Photo

A Bangkok landmark - Democracy Monument.

by jrs1234 Updated Jul 16, 2003

Favorite thing: Conveniently close to the eastern end of Khao San Road, this Bangkok landmark was built in 1939 to commemorate the change from absolute monarchy to a constitutional monarchy in 1932. Not so much a must-see as something you can't miss if you're passing down Thanon Ratchadamnoen Klang (Ratchadamnoen Avenue).

Democracy Monument, Bangkok