Eating, Bangkok

Know about this? Rate It!

spicy crablets
    spicy dried pork floss
  • Eating
  • Sosdaa's Profile Photo

How to sample Local food

by Sosdaa Written Dec 5, 2004

Favorite thing: Local markets are all over Bangkok and the food and fruits are amazing and very cheap.

Fondest memory: It was a great experience as we found the local people very friendly and helpful. Although it seemed like a market for locals we never felt out of place. The fruits were amazing and tasty. Some of the fruits which we have never heaard or seen before were tasty and great.

Fruit vendor

• Rodan44's Profile Photo

Keep an eye out for the insect vendor

by Rodan44 Written Jun 2, 2004

Favorite thing: The Thai are famous for eating many things that would make other people run in terror. The most poignant example of this is the many insect snack vendors that you will find throughout Bangkok. They offer up such delicacies as fried crickets, roaches, cicadas, grubs, and even whole scorpions!

I always get macho and say that I will try some insects next time I see a vendor, but every time I see one I invariably chicken out. Maybe I'm just not drunk enough at the time. Oh well, some day...

Insect vendor at Patpong

• latte18's Profile Photo

the king of fruit

by latte18 Written Jun 1, 2004

Favorite thing: To most Thais and Asians alike, the potent smell of Durians is heavenly. We regard durians as the king of fruit, a delicacy that is well worth the high price it commands. Most Westerners however, are deterred by the potent smell and never actually sample the creamy golden flesh hidden within the spiky exterior.

Durians make its presence in Thai Markets from beginning in May through August. Thai Durians are well regarded as the best in Asia. Three of the most popular varieties are the cha ni, kan yao, and the most prized of it all, the mon thong.

Make sure you sample the Durians when you're in Bangkok, otherwise you'll miss one of the truly great pleasures of fruit eating.

durians ~ sold anywhere in markets around Bangkok

• LysDor's Profile Photo

DINNER

by LysDor Updated May 26, 2004

Favorite thing: Have dinner or afternoon coffee at the famous Shangri-La Terrace Restaurant and try some real spicy thai food!

Fondest memory: After an aperitif in the Lobby Bar I'm on the way to have an authentic THAI Buffet Dinner at the Hotel's Terrace.
    Crazy to eat hot-spicy food when the temperature is still near 32C!!? Maybe...

• tashka's Profile Photo

Coconut milk

by tashka Written Dec 8, 2003

Favorite thing: It's hot in Bangkok, you walk the sunny streets dying for a drop of cool water, and then you see a woman selling coconuts! What a treat! Cool green coconuts full of fresh coconut milk. The seller opens them with a sharp knife, puts straws in them - they are ready for drinking.

I'll tell you honestly, I didn't like the taste. But tastes differ, and it's worth trying.

One small coconut costs 10 baht.

Bangkok, Coconuts for sale

• syllybabe's Profile Photo

Paying with coupons

by syllybabe Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: MBK is a shopping mall where you can find just about a little bit of everything. In their food court, the most amusing thing to me was buying food with coupons. First you choose what you want to eat from any of the stalls and determine how much coupons you need to pay for your food. Any coupons you have left after you're done, you can go to another booth to exchange it for cash. I think unused coupons that don't get changed for cash is a great revenue generator for the mall. Cool concept though.

Coupons for food at MBK
    • Adventure Travel

• monica78's Profile Photo

Food?

by monica78 Written Sep 7, 2002

Fondest memory: Are you hungry??????
    Maybe you want to try some insect snack???!!
    I have to admit that I did not try it....

But at a restaurant we found some bugs at our pizza because they lived in the oregano box.. I told the staff that the oregano box was 'alive' and the bugs crawled around inside it.
    They only laughet at me...... It made me really angry, because we had been eating a lot of our pizza with these bugs!!!
    I told them that I would NOT pay for a pizza with bugs! They took away my pizza and the oregano box... then they was discussing, took the bug away and came back with my pizza like nothing have happend!

• glydel75's Profile Photo

Try all the food! never mind...

by glydel75 Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Try all the food! never mind if it's spicy, it's the greatest thing i've ever tasted. :)

Fondest memory: food, food and those small kiosks where i can buy anything little thing... just beside the office... small pica-pica....

• zazatann's Profile Photo

Clear bottle water is better !!!

by zazatann Written Apr 30, 2006

Favorite thing: When you're here, you should know that we drink in a bottle of water. NOT FROM TAB WATER !!!

You can get bottle of water everywhere BUT clear bottle is more pure and cleaner.

bottle of water