Eating, Bangkok

Know about this? Rate It!

spicy dried mango
  • Eating
  • Eating
  • tashka's Profile Photo

Coconut milk

by tashka Written Dec 8, 2003

Favorite thing: It's hot in Bangkok, you walk the sunny streets dying for a drop of cool water, and then you see a woman selling coconuts! What a treat! Cool green coconuts full of fresh coconut milk. The seller opens them with a sharp knife, puts straws in them - they are ready for drinking.

I'll tell you honestly, I didn't like the taste. But tastes differ, and it's worth trying.

One small coconut costs 10 baht.

Bangkok, Coconuts for sale

• i-s-a's Profile Photo

Taste the Local Flavor - "Banana Pancake"

by i-s-a Updated May 18, 2006

Fondest memory: Outside the National Museum there's this small push cart selling banana pancakes. Sliced banana is dipped in a batter and deep fried while you wait. So yummy and filling...my Mom can't wait to taste it ;0) It cost 5baht a piece.

The vendor is very nice...he gamely posed and smiled for our souvenir photo.

I would love to taste one again!

This is from my first Bangkok trip in March 2004.
    Part of the independent walk-tour I did with my mother.

pancake anyone? cooking pancake

• i-s-a's Profile Photo

Taste the Local Flavor - "Grilled Sour Sausages"

by i-s-a Updated May 18, 2006

Fondest memory: Also outside the National Museum, there's another one of those street foods that we love....the Sour Sausages. The taste is similar to "longanisa" that we have here at home but with a tangy twist.

When in Bangkok...taste one and enjoy!

This is from my first Bangkok trip in March 2004.
    Part of the independent walk-tour I did with my mother.

May I have one please?

• i-s-a's Profile Photo

Taste the Local Flavor - "Noodles"

by i-s-a Updated May 18, 2006

Fondest memory: We arrived late and there's not much time to grab anything to eat before going out to see the cabaret show. Our guide brought us to a street nearby and encouraged us to try what the locals were having....noodles!

There's a portable cart full of veggies, squid balls, noodles, etc. One just have to point whatever ingredient she likes and the noodles will be cooked. You may wait at the tables and chairs provided at the sidewalk. Not the typical way to have your first dinner abroad but surely a good place to experience the local vibe. There are plenty of youngsters having their late meal.

The food is simple but very tasty. I love the chili powder (but not too much of course) and the fish sauce they provide as condiment....surely an acquired taste!

This is from my first Bangkok trip in March 2004.

ingredients ingenius boy simply delicious

• i-s-a's Profile Photo

Taste the Local Flavor - "Snacks of All Types"

by i-s-a Written Apr 5, 2006

Fondest memory: Wherever I am, I can't resist sampling the local snacks and tidbits. At the photo you can see rice crispies, spicy anchovies and my favorite Thai sweets...tamarind!

You can buy these almost everywhere around Bangkok...especially in markets, groceries and even in night bazaars. A good "pasalubong" to your friends too.

Excercise your tastebuds and try these local specialties!

hay sarap!

• syllybabe's Profile Photo

Paying with coupons

by syllybabe Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: MBK is a shopping mall where you can find just about a little bit of everything. In their food court, the most amusing thing to me was buying food with coupons. First you choose what you want to eat from any of the stalls and determine how much coupons you need to pay for your food. Any coupons you have left after you're done, you can go to another booth to exchange it for cash. I think unused coupons that don't get changed for cash is a great revenue generator for the mall. Cool concept though.

Coupons for food at MBK
    • Adventure Travel

• Rodan44's Profile Photo

Keep an eye out for the insect vendor

by Rodan44 Written Jun 2, 2004

Favorite thing: The Thai are famous for eating many things that would make other people run in terror. The most poignant example of this is the many insect snack vendors that you will find throughout Bangkok. They offer up such delicacies as fried crickets, roaches, cicadas, grubs, and even whole scorpions!

I always get macho and say that I will try some insects next time I see a vendor, but every time I see one I invariably chicken out. Maybe I'm just not drunk enough at the time. Oh well, some day...

Insect vendor at Patpong

• latte18's Profile Photo

the king of fruit

by latte18 Written Jun 1, 2004

Favorite thing: To most Thais and Asians alike, the potent smell of Durians is heavenly. We regard durians as the king of fruit, a delicacy that is well worth the high price it commands. Most Westerners however, are deterred by the potent smell and never actually sample the creamy golden flesh hidden within the spiky exterior.

Durians make its presence in Thai Markets from beginning in May through August. Thai Durians are well regarded as the best in Asia. Three of the most popular varieties are the cha ni, kan yao, and the most prized of it all, the mon thong.

Make sure you sample the Durians when you're in Bangkok, otherwise you'll miss one of the truly great pleasures of fruit eating.

durians ~ sold anywhere in markets around Bangkok

• selagor11's Profile Photo

BANGKOK CRISPY DRIED LOTUS SEEDS SNACK

by selagor11 Updated Jul 1, 2014

Favorite thing: If you plan to visit Thailand and intend to bring home some souvenirs but are clueless what to buy, i'm understand, since you have yet to set foot in Thailand. But as you touch down and visit the places of interests in Thailand you may want to know what products / items are a true representation of Thailand, so you can look out for them during your visit.

There are obviously many items that can help you take back a little piece of Thailand, but, here I proposing a authentic souvenir ideas that are pretty to look at and can be bought without burning a hole in the pocket.
    YEAH,I thinking of Thai CRISPY DRIED LOTUS SEEDS SNACK!

Crispy Dried Lotus Seeds is one of the popular local snack in the state of Bangkok,Thailand.
    Lotus seeds are obtained from the lotus flower. The lotus seeds popped like popcorn and eaten.

These seeds are highly useful in terms of nutritional benefits. They are the edible seeds of lotus flower which can be roasted or fried. These are used in many dishes of Thailand. They are also considered as very pious food and used in many rituals. Along with this they are also highly beneficial in terms of nutritional values.
    Just 140THB for a nice box packaging as picture.

You can buy these almost everywhere around Bangkok...especially in supermarket (The Mall, Tops, Rimping...), groceries and even in night bazaars.

Fondest memory: smiles, local snack, local food,Crispy Dried Lotus Seeds

Thailand Crispy Dried Lotus Seeds Dried Lotus Seeds Dried Lotus Seeds Dried Lotus Seeds Dried Lotus Seeds
    • Eco-Tourism

• LysDor's Profile Photo

DINNER

by LysDor Updated May 26, 2004

Favorite thing: Have dinner or afternoon coffee at the famous Shangri-La Terrace Restaurant and try some real spicy thai food!

Fondest memory: After an aperitif in the Lobby Bar I'm on the way to have an authentic THAI Buffet Dinner at the Hotel's Terrace.
    Crazy to eat hot-spicy food when the temperature is still near 32C!!? Maybe...

• Sosdaa's Profile Photo

How to sample Local food

by Sosdaa Written Dec 5, 2004

Favorite thing: Local markets are all over Bangkok and the food and fruits are amazing and very cheap.

Fondest memory: It was a great experience as we found the local people very friendly and helpful. Although it seemed like a market for locals we never felt out of place. The fruits were amazing and tasty. Some of the fruits which we have never heaard or seen before were tasty and great.

Fruit vendor

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Thai Style Satay

by machomikemd Written Oct 19, 2012

Favorite thing: Satay Style of Barbecuing Meats originated in Indonesia and spread to Malaysia and Indochina and eventually to thailand via the former malayan sultanates that became part of thailand. Satay may consist of diced or sliced chicken, goat, mutton, beef, pork, fish, other meats, or tofu; the more authentic version uses skewers from the midrib of the coconut palm frond, although bamboo skewers are often used. These are grilled or barbecued over a wood or charcoal fire, then served with various spicy seasonings.The thai version of the Satay Barbecue is also served with the peanut sauce but the difference is that the peanut sauce in Thai Style Satay is spicier than the malaysian and indonesian counterparts and there are many other sauces in the Indonesian Satay. Satays are available all over Bangkok and cost 20 baht a stick for the chicken and 22 baht for pork and 25 baht a stick for th chicken.

Fondest memory: the thai style chicken satay barbecue with spicy peanut sauce!

• monica78's Profile Photo

Food?

by monica78 Written Sep 7, 2002

Fondest memory: Are you hungry??????
    Maybe you want to try some insect snack???!!
    I have to admit that I did not try it....

But at a restaurant we found some bugs at our pizza because they lived in the oregano box.. I told the staff that the oregano box was 'alive' and the bugs crawled around inside it.
    They only laughet at me...... It made me really angry, because we had been eating a lot of our pizza with these bugs!!!
    I told them that I would NOT pay for a pizza with bugs! They took away my pizza and the oregano box... then they was discussing, took the bug away and came back with my pizza like nothing have happend!

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Ready Made Thai Curry Sauces

by machomikemd Updated Nov 1, 2013

Favorite thing: althoug you can buy the packed thai curries (green curry, red curry, yellow curry, massaman curry) at supermarkets and convenience stores arond bangkok, you still need the additional aromatic flavors of thai spices like galanggal, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass and right concentrations of fish sauce, lime juice and chilli peppers to make your favorite thai dishes such as tom yum or tom kha gai. it's a good thing that the supermarkets and the duty free stores offer the all in one thai curries in plastic packs and inside include the pre packed concentratied curry, the dried aromatic herbs and spices, the lime juice and fish sauce at separate containers, which you can now mix in your kitchen and then add the ingredients like fish, shrimp, meats, mushrooms and more. it also has an english step by step instructions on how to mix the ingredients.

prices are 70 baht at supermarkets and 98 baht at the duty free stores (as compared to 25 baht for the powdered thai curry in supermarkets).

Fondest memory: these pre-packaged thai curries are more expensive than the regular powdered thai curries sold at supermarkets, but at least you don't need to find the necessary additional flavors to cook authentic thai curry dishes,

• Business Travel

• RoyJava's Profile Photo

Consuming a grasshopper?

by RoyJava Updated Jan 12, 2007

Favorite thing: Did you know most of the Western people has a weak immune system after eating out of cages. And because we stopped eating natural food like vegetables and meat grown in the wild, including insects! Our Western civilization is horrifying for eating grasshoppers, cockroaches, scorpions ... oh nooh, bug dishes are not at all that favourites with tourists visiting Bangkok. We get sick when just watching Thai people eating roasted, sugared mealworms, scorpion-soup and deep fried cockroaches. Seen on TV I always have to visit these street-stalls when going for a walk on a market, along the busy boulevard downtown ... where grasshoppers are tiptop today!

Fondest memory: *LOL*, mjammie ... eating a bug isn't that bad, is it? Just the mass of these creepy creatures on a plate worries us, does it? I had some cicades, I had some worms once, and my grandmother used to be so good in preparing some other dishes I forgot the exact name. Walking in Pattaya and Bangkok I always am looking for the insects vendor carts on the market, even it still gives me the creeps! Nope,... I never had a grasshopper. Still ... it always will stay in my memory, heeheehhh

grasshopper-bangkok-asia grasshopper-bangkok-asia