Weather, Bangkok

Know about this? Rate It!

sunny
    humid
    rainy season in october
  • SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Bangkok in the rainy season.

by SWFC_Fan Written Oct 5, 2007

Dark clouds over Bangkok..but the rain never came!

Favorite thing: I visited Bangkok in September 2007. My guidebook suggested that my visit would coincide with one of the wettest months of the year. The highest peak on my guidebook's rainfall chart was in September and below the chart was a warning that parts of the city can be flooded after torrential rain in September and October.

The online weather forecasts painted a similarly wet picture. For a few weeks prior to my departure I checked the 10 day forecasts on a number of weather websites. Without exception, they contained little cloud and lightning icons and predicted "scattered thunderstorms". Every day, every week.

So, it's fair to say that I expected to get a bit wet during my week long stay in Bangkok, and I even wondered if I should pack a light coat.

The reality however was very different. During my week in the city, I saw it rain for a grand total of 10 minutes! My first 5 days were a mixture of bright sunshine, light cloud cover and, at times, dark overcast skies. But no rain. Then, on Friday night, I felt a raindrop, then another and a few more. It rained lightly for 10 minutes or so and then stopped.

On a few occasions, I awoke in the night and thought I could see flashes of lightning outside. But each morning the roads were dry and there was no sign of any overnight rainfall.

So, when visiting Bangkok in the rainy season....don't assume that rain is guaranteed (even if all the weather forecasts tell you that it is!)

• Arjaree's Profile Photo

Good Time to Visit Bangkok

by Arjaree Updated Nov 18, 2004

Favorite thing: The good time to visit Bangkok or Thailand is during November-April because its a dry season. But then again there are people visiting Thailand all year round. Even though its not an ideal period to come here during the rainy season, I personally think it is still all right. You should consider May and October since the former month is just the beginning of the rainy season and the latter is the ending month of it. Plus, the hotels are not yet double priced.

Anyway, for the dry season, specially April, its the HOTTEST month and Im telling you its burning! Probably, a very ideal time to come visit Bangkok is from November till February. December and January are supposed to be the coolest months here. I mean the coolest for Thailand, which can be considered ' warm' for Europeans.

For the rainy season, when it rains, it RAINS. However, it usually lasts for an hour or two. And there is always a sunshine after that. Never takes a whole day.

• Business Travel

• mamasan69's Profile Photo

BANGKOK AFTER FOUR TRIPS

by mamasan69 Updated Mar 30, 2009

CHANG THAT I MISS-Bangkok

Favorite thing: Now that I have experienced Bangkok on my past trips, I have a different opinion then after my first time.
    After my first trip I think I had somewhat of a bad feeling toward Bangkok. However, now that I have spent some time here and experienced many things; my opinion has changed and I don't mind Bangkok. I still have many things to experience and try, but I still don't like to spend too long here. I like the beaches in the south too much to give them up totally.

Fondest memory: Well now that I'm away from Bangkok, the things I miss the most would be the weather, the sites, nightlife, Chang and most of all my girlfriend Off.

• Adventure Travel
    • School Holidays

• Pomska's Profile Photo

Weather

by Pomska Updated Apr 12, 2004

Fondest memory: Bangkok swelters in tropical heat all year round, altough the months from November to February are less humid and cooler at nights. Temperatures are at their highest from March to May. By June the monsoon sets in and heavy rainfall will bring some relief. Flooding occurs in August and September and it can cause traffic problems.

• LysDor's Profile Photo

DRINK

by LysDor Updated May 26, 2004

Favorite thing: Be sure to drink a lot. Bangkok is one of the hottest city in the world. Day and night temperature are comparable. While on foot, I used to pop in to hotels' lobbys or stores as they have air-conditionning.

• heryanta's Profile Photo

Best time to visit

by heryanta Written Jun 24, 2007

Favorite thing: In my humble opinion the best time to visit Bangkok is January - February. In these two months the temperature is around 24C (75F) and mostly dry.

April - May are the hottest months where temperature gets to be 38C (100F).

September-November you get a lot of rain; which in itself is not a problem but the road gets flooded and it compounds to the horrendous traffic jams that is an inseparable part of Bangkok.

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Year Round Bangkok Weather!

by machomikemd Updated Oct 10, 2012

humid

Favorite thing: Bangkok can be hot and humid throughout the year, with temperatures often reaching 35°C (95°F). The best time to visit is between November and February as April is generally the hottest month and October the wettest.

The Thais often say: We have only two seasons, hot and hotter. This is true as far as it's never cold in Thailand. Officially however there are three seasons:
    Cool (from November to February) with temperatures in the mid twenties to thirties (Celsius).
    Hot (from March to May) with temperatures always above 30 and often around 40.
    Rainy (from June to October) with temperatures in the mid twenties and regular tropical rain and thunder showers.
    In Bangkok and the South of Thailand it is never cold but in the North temperatures can come close to 0 during the night in the cool season.

Fondest memory: bring a small umbrella always when travelling in october like we did

• Trains
    • Luxury Travel

• Santini738's Profile Photo

Climate

by Santini738 Written Dec 11, 2007
    Table of climate and Precipitation

Favorite thing: Bangkok has a tropical monsoon climate under the Köppen climate classification system.
    Bangkok is said to have the highest average temperature of any city in the world.
    Average temperatures in the city are about 2°C higher than the ones shown for the Don Muang Airport at 1960-1990 period. Absolute maxima is 40.8°C and absolute minima is 9.9°C. The coldest temperatures were recorded in January 1924, January 1955, January 1974 and December 1999. The coldest daytime maximun temperature was 22.3C, recorded in December 1999. Hailstorms are virtually unheard of in the city, with only one having been recorded in the past fifty years.

weather in Thailand for APRIL

by bulldogtwo Written Apr 15, 2008

Favorite thing: You are going to have a lot more heat, more heat and a lot of humidity this time of year. Actually it's the dry season just before the rains. If it does rain you are probably going to like it! If not to cool off for the change in weather. But heat and humidity is somewhat relative depending on where you are coming from, the climate you are used to and like and how fast you can acclimate if you have to. Leaving this week, lucky YOU!
    Have FUN!

Weather in Thailand

by bulldogtwo Written Sep 12, 2008

Favorite thing: As in many of the questions asked on VT, it is really a matter of one's opinion.
    For us it is Novemeber. The rainy is behind you, you could still get a nice shower periodically lasting maybe 15-30 minutes but nothing like peak season! The tourists have not gotten there in high numbers yet like in Dec and Jan and it's not dry like it starts to get in Feb. However, should you wantto do some diving the best season is during the dry seasons of Jan through April, best visibility, conditions etc... We like November also because of the lushness of the forests and jungles after the rainy season. If you are only staying in Bangkok as you mention,then I would say any of the months are not too bad. The closer you get to Feb the hotter it's going to get. Depending on where you are coming from, you may not even notice the difference.
    Good luck and have fun!

April Weather in Thailand

by bulldogtwo Updated Mar 19, 2009

Favorite thing: The weather has been wierd, not just in Thailand but many other parts of the world as well. Last year, Nov in Chinag Mai up in the mountains, the weather should've been cool but it was pretty hot, so....
    "Normally", first part of April you may get a shower but even that is rare. It may cloud up some but rarely rains until end of April, mid May. As John said, if it does rain it'll be hard and short and the hot and humid. April is known as the last part of the dry season. I think you'll experience more cloud action than anything.
    I say, "never pass up a chance to go to Thailand!"
    Have Fun

• chellibean's Profile Photo

Umbrellas don't Help

by chellibean Written Sep 27, 2009

Favorite thing: When I was in Bangkok, I got caught in a horrible downpour. Having an umbrella didn't help me at all. I was wet up to my waist. Sure my head and shoulders were dry, but that was it. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything that will keep you dry short of wearing full body rain gear. My suggestion is go inside somewhere and wait it out. The rain that I was showered in only lasted a short while.

• lunargodezz's Profile Photo

Big downpour in Bangkok

by lunargodezz Updated May 19, 2007
    Big Bangkok Storm

Favorite thing: One afternoon we looked at the horizon from our hotel window and it was just black and gradually the city started to disappear and we had a massive storm which last for a couple of hours, it was very scary, afterwards we were supposed to go out for dinner but the streets were flooded so we ate in the hotel.

• iclee's Profile Photo

Same temp as any southeast asian country

by iclee Written Feb 19, 2009

Favorite thing: Average temp is 35C.

Hot and humid: March - May
    Wet and rainy: June - September
    Cool: October - February

Fondest memory: Being drenched by street revelers on Songran Festival during the hot month of April.

Instant Answers: Bangkok