Forensic Science Museum, Bangkok

Siriraj Hospital

Know about this? Rate It!

• One of the Forensic Museum's ... interests
    One of the Forensic Museum's ......
    by Elginah
  • Forensic Science Museum
    by Gard
  • Gard's Profile Photo

A weird museum

by Gard Written Nov 28, 2002

In the BTS guide we found a little piece about a Museum of forensic history. In the short description there were sentences like “for something out of the ordinary” and “not for the squeamish” and of course we got a bit curious. So we jumped into a cab and try to show him the brochure and he didn’t understand much of that. So we explained that this would be located at the Siriraj Hospital and he picked up on that. But I guess he thought that it was weird that we were pointing at a tourist brochure and then asked him to take us to a hospital because he kept asking us all the time if this was where we wanted to go. For the record it is possible to take the boat there too but it is still not easy to find. The museum (or as it turned out many different museums) was located in the hospital itself so we walked around quite a bit before we found it. The museums are first of all in use for medicine students I suspect because here you can see all sorts of bodyparts kept in jars of formaldehyde. But it is also a growing tourist attraction and the most popular place was the place where they kept the mummified remains of different criminals. The “worst” section was the pathology section where they had lots of babies on jars. I could help thinking back to different horror movies where people all of a sudden come to life when you come to close. But there were also lots of pictures of gruesome events, lots of human skulls showing what happens when you get shot or get in a car accident, stab wounds through different organs and so on. Let us just say that this is the most bizarre museum I have ever been to and believe me we got out of there with a nauseating feeling.

• Elginah's Profile Photo

I think it blinked!!!

by Elginah Written Oct 4, 2002

One of the Forensic Museum's ... interests

The Forensic Science Museum. There's actually about 6 museums attached to a hospital across the river, not too far from Wat Arun. Certainly not for the faint hearted, or those who've just eaten. You want to see the result of a bullet to the brain - come on in! Oh, so you think Chucky is cute? Well, check this out! Oh, you just had a snack from a street vendour? Then head straight for the parasite section!
    Again - not for wimps.