Know about this? Rate It!
City Pillar Shrine
A Lak Mueang or City pillar is found in most cities of Thailand. Usually housed in a shrine which is also believed to house the city spirit deity, Chao Pho Lak Meuang, it is held in high esteem by the citizens of the town. It was probably King Rama I, who erected the first city pillar on April 21, 1782, when he moved his capital from Thonburi to Bangkok. This shrine can be found across the road from the Grand Palace and features two pillars - the longer pillar is the original of Rama I, the shorter was added by King Mongkut (Rama IV).
- Historical Travel
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Plenty of choices
- Agoda.com Save up to 75%, Don't miss! Live support, Instant confirmation.
Bangkok Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Mawanella Hotels
- Lauerzersee Hotels
- Massaponax Hotels
- Kota Kinabalu
- Saint Paul Hotels
- Mexico City
- Ireland Off The Beaten Path
- Munich Off The Beaten Path
- Hawaii (Big Island) Off The Beaten Path
- South Dakota Off The Beaten Path
- New Orleans Off The Beaten Path
- Thailand Off The Beaten Path
- Cleveland Off The Beaten Path
- Maui Off The Beaten Path
- Virginia Beach Off The Beaten Path
- Prague Off The Beaten Path
- Puerto Rico Off The Beaten Path