Baan Khanita, Bangkok

4 out of 5 stars 10 Reviews

Sukhumvit Soi 23 (02) 258-4181

• Baan Khanita: Don't miss the chicken curry

by m_achaia Written Jan 9, 2008

I went to the Sathorn boulevard branch of this restaurant. The dinning area is very big so doesn't really give a cosy atmosphere but we dinned in their outdoor area which is very nicely set and due to its smaller size gives you a feeling of intimacy. The food was impeccable as well as the service and presentation. I can fairly say it was one of the best meals we had in Bangkok. Prices were very reasonable.

Favorite Dish: Chicken curry.

• Baan Khanita: Over rated

by Dan2020 Written Nov 15, 2007

I am an expat living in Bkk. Having read about the positive reviews and awards Baan Khanitha has, I decided to treat some friends visiting Bkk to a family dinner. There were 15 of us, 11 adults and 4 children (12, 10, 8, & 4yrs). Food was average. The Red Duck Curry with Grapes and Green Curry (Beef and Chicken) turned out to be somewhat watery. The Prawn Salad was a too spicy, even though we asked for less spicy. I like the pomelo salad though, just the right mix of spice, sweetness and fragrance. The old house setting and ambience was a nice touch. We had a slightly too much to eat, even though the waiter tried to convince us twice that we had not ordered enough. At the end only 4 of us had room to share 2 servings of mango stickly rice.

Overall, dinner was fine until I got the bill. Bt 12,600 (US$ 370) for the food and drinks (we only had 2 beers, 4 soft drinks/juices and the rest of us had mineral water).

Food : 7/10
    Ambience : 8/10
    Service : 4/10 (waiter didn't know how to estimate the what was enough for us)
    Price : US$ 20-25 per person (without wines)

Having lived in Bkk the last half year, I felt that this place is definitely over-rated. If you are prepared to pay this price, Lemongrass on Soi 24 offers better food experience.

If you fancy dining in old Thai houses, there are other restaurants prices less than half of this and offering food just as good; eg. Ruen Mallika, Ban Chiang & Mango Tree (with live Thai music).

• heryanta's Profile Photo

Baan Khanita: Delightful Thai in a homey athmosphere

by heryanta Updated Jul 1, 2007

Baan Kanitha is ideal the ideal place to take out guests who just arrived in Bangkok.

The food is tasty and authentic, but they also know how to prepare them properly when you ask for "spicy but for Westerners". Also as important, you can tell that they take hygiene issues seriously, which many people often forget that it is best not to have roadside food immediately upon arrival. Wine and cocktails are also available.

The restaurant itself is beautiful and homey (it actually is located in a building that could very well be someone's house). Staff is very friendly and professional.

Favorite Dish: They do pretty much all of the traditional dishes, from the fish cake, noodles to the ground pork with basil and pepper. Make sure you finish with the fresh cut mango on sweet sticky rice.

• AndreSTGT's Profile Photo

Baan Khanita: Good, upmarket Thai cuisine

by AndreSTGT Written Oct 19, 2006

A large restaurant set in a colonial villa close to several embassies on the busy multi-lane Sathorn Boulevard. Once inside the compound, however, Baan Khannita feels like a world of its own, offering classic Thai luxury, impeccable service and perfect food that is deservedly considered to be some of the best traditional Thai food in Bangkok. With starters mostly under 200B and mains between 250-500B prices are quite reasonable for such an upmarket place. My only criticism would be the size of the dining room which is too big for intimate, peaceful dining, but it's less busy at lunch time.

Favorite Dish: Everything we ordered was flawless, there were no standout dishes, neither positive, nor negative. I'd recommend

Roasted duck and grapes in red curry (260B)
    Eggplant salad with prawns (160B)
    Grilled marinated chicken in banana laves (160B)
    Raw shrimps (180B)
    Tub tim Fish (460B)

• Baan Khanita: Baan Khanita

by GavinFifield Written Jul 26, 2006

For my money, this is the consistently best place to eat in Bangkok, where I live.

I prefer the larger Sathorn Rd branch because its easier to get a table and the outside room is cool and beautiful, and caters for smokers! The inside restaurant is cool, elegant, stylish, immaculately clean, and I just can't tell you how good the staff are. English really is spoken here.

The food is wonderful, the service is simply the very best and, although not the cheapest, its the best value for money in its class.

When you are brought the complimentary starter, ask your waiter how to eat it - its lovely!

The massaman curried chicken is superb, marinaded chicken breast in a flavoursome sauce but not too hot or spicy. Try ir with the brown rice which is called Khow glong.

The chicken wrapped in leaves - difficult for foreigners to pronounce, try saying Gai Hor Bai Dtoey. - is delicious, and cooled mango with sticky rice and coconut ice cream is a fine way to finish off your meal.
    I eat here regularly, and have never had anything but wonderful food, wonderful surroundings and service beyond comparison.

Favorite Dish: The Massaman curry - lightly flavoured, exquisitely delicious!

• Jolaz's Profile Photo

Baan Khanita: I prefer the Old Baan Khanita

by Jolaz Written Jun 5, 2006

Going to Baan Khanita is really a nice experience. Have been to 2 branches already, one on Soi 23 Sukhumvit and one on South Sathon Road. If you really want a better Thai dining experience, would recommend you to visit the one on Sukhumvit Road during the lunch time. The place is so cozy and staff are so nice there. You find yourself having a relaxing lunch in a big Thai house. The one in South Sathon is too touristic, maybe because I visit it during the busiest hour in the night time. Food are delicious in both restaurant.

• uie_jkt's Profile Photo

Baan Khanita: The Restaurant to taste an exquisite local food

by uie_jkt Written Jan 23, 2006

It had great quite ambience. Right in the middle of Bangkok hustle and bustle but completely quite, it had a garden outside, that's where I had my lunch. The sorrounding was superb, the food is superb as well. In this restaurant they have some kind of appetizer which consist of leaves, sugar, som kind of nuts, and you eat them all together. I was hesitant at first, but it proof to be delicious!

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is the Son Tham (young papaya salad) and the sea food hot and sour soup, and steamed fish with garlic

• Mattison's Profile Photo

Baan Khanitha: Thai House + Thai Restaurant = Cool Bathrooms!

by Mattison Written Aug 1, 2004

We had a splendid little big dinner with some family friends at this restaurant that has been ranked #1 for Thai food for years. We had a great time. This restaurant used to be a Thai house, so the bathrooms are the house's bathrooms, so they're pretty cool, even though Joey almost used the girl's bathroom. It was a fairly big place, but didn't seem crowded and wasn't at all noisy. Great service as usual, blah blah blah.

Favorite Dish: We had some great appetizers. My favorite was the chicken wrapped in a banana leaf, but I don't remember the exact name.

• syllybabe's Profile Photo

Baan Khanita: The Spaniard's Favorite

by syllybabe Written Mar 28, 2003

There are two Baan Khanitas but we followed Ivan's strict instructions to go to the one in Sukhumvit soi 21 for better ambience...and so we did and we were definitely not disappointed.
    D._Pepper said it wouldn't be THAT far so from soi 12, we walked...and walked...and walked! Fortunately, it was at 7 in the evening so Dante was spared from expletives. soi 21 from 12 isn't far but from the corner of soi 21 to Baan Khanita is a quite a walk. Take a tuktuk from the corner if you want.
    The restaurant building is a Thai house and we made reservations for a table out in the garden.

Favorite Dish: Someone else did the ordering. Our friends met some Thai girls who helped them order authentic stuff so it was all really good.
    There were appetisers like...leaves...with a sweet paste and spices and peanuts and you roll them and eat them. It was good!...those cavemen sure knew how to eat healthy ;-)
    We had soft shell crabs and deep fried fish with that delicious chili sauce, soup...it was a lot of food and all a blur to me now but it was excellent.
    What surprised me the most was that for a more upscale restaurant and all that we ordered, it was still relatively cheap.
    Dinner for 10 including drinks and dessert wasn't more than 5500baht.

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

Baan Khanita: superb ambience

by Audrey118 Written May 25, 2006

Great ambience, refined Thai food.... and great service...

Favorite Dish: steam lime fish - deboned fillet, green curries...desserts

Instant Answers: Bangkok

Comments

Hotels Near Baan Khanita
4.0 out of 5 stars