Blue Elephant, Bangkok

by AndreSTGT
  • Blue Elephant
    by AndreSTGT
  • jlanza29's Profile Photo

Blue Elephant: Not impressed !!!!

by jlanza29 Updated Mar 25, 2011

Ok, after reading about this place I was really hyped about coming here to eat. and boy was I disappointed, first off, they don't offer free water so you almost forced to buy water and get this at $9 US dollars for a simple and small bottled water !!!! I thought it was too much. The food was nothing special and just plain. The tables were way too close to each other and I could hear the people next us just if I was seating with there party !!!! The staff spoke English and were friendly, location is easy to reach just off the sky train stop. but not overly impressed and would not recommend it !!!!!!

not impressed !!!!

• Blue Elephant: Not worth the Expense

by Phaka2 Written Jan 13, 2009

I had long looked forward to a trip to the Blue Elephant after many trips to Thailand. It was a huge letdown. The restaurant is beautiful and the staff is attentive, but as a cooking school they should be renown for their food and it was very disappointing. It was mediocre Thai food at best and on a par with any corner Thai restaurant in the USA. The prices are astonishingly high. We sampled the tasting menu which provided a wide range of offerings. The flavors seemed to be watered down and bland perhaps to suit the palate of 100% foreigners who are the clientele for this restaurant. With so much fantastic food available at great prices in BKK, don't waste your time or money here.

• Restless-in-kl's Profile Photo

Blue Elephant: Royal Thai cuisine

by Restless-in-kl Written Nov 13, 2007

My friend Owen decided to give me a treat at Blue Elephant Thai restaurant which is very sweet of her. Housed in an old colonial mansion, Blue Elephant looks grand. The ambience of the restaurant is quite formal and you are encouraged to dress up a bit for dinner.

Service is attentive and staff understands English which is great. There's also a culinary school here which I took lessons the next day. Check my travelogue for details.

There was a special set menu in the month of Sept07 which allowed us to sample different Thai dishes which I thought was neat as my favourite food is Thai food and I'm always hungry to try new dishes.

Taste wise is acceptable though I can't say this is the best Thai restaurant I've ever tasted. The spicyness is somewhat watered down to cater to Westerners as this restaurant is quite well known to expats.

Blue elephant tea set Restaurant ambience Thai dessert

• AndreSTGT's Profile Photo

Blue Elephant: Royal Thai cuisine

by AndreSTGT Updated Jan 27, 2005

The Blue Elephant is not only one of Thailand's most famous restaurants (with branches all over the world, including a Michelin recommended one in Paris), but also one of the most beautiful ones, in a picturesque colonial mansion opposite the Surasak sky train station. The quality of the food is predictably high and all your Thai favorites are on offer here, as wells as some eclectic 'special dishes'. The portions are very generous, so don't order too much.

Favorite Dish: Spicy fish cakes (160B)
    Red Duck Curry (280B)
    Durian cheese cake (150B)

Blue Elephant

Instant Answers: Bangkok

Comments

Hotels Near Blue Elephant
4.5 out of 5 stars