Cabbages & Condoms, Bangkok

Unique Lighting
    Condom Kid
  • Cabage & Condoms: Fantastic food & great theme

by tourist2bangkok Written May 17, 2012

Not on the beaten track, but glad we found it. Wonderful theme, great food and good service. Would highly recommend this restaurant to my friends.

Tried five items from the menu including soup and spring rolls; all fabulous.

• cabbage and condoms: Not as good as my first visit 10 years ago

by julfakelley Written Dec 13, 2011

The restaurant changed a lot. from what it was before 10yrs ago. they are more focused on decorating with condoms to attract the tourist ''customer'' and putting condoms on celebrity statues. But I am concerned about the food taste and quality and costumer service. i always stop over at cabbages and condoms for lunch, as i have expectation of eating great food, but this time i was so disappointed - from the costumer service to the food. Now they are more focused on tourism, but not on the quality of the food.

I feel like being discriminated against because they think I'm Thai, though I'm not. i asked some of the waitresses for something, but they ignored me and focus only on white people i don't know why? is it becz they think am thai? but if so, then they are discriminating against their own people.

Favorite Dish: I used to love their steamed fish, but this time it was not that good. It was not served properly and not served hot enough, despite with candle under net.

• Kiriel's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: Don't miss the opportunity to go here!

by Kiriel Updated Apr 4, 2011

outside the restaurant

This atmostpheric restaurant is tucked away in an alley and unless you know it is there you would never stumble across it. But it is definitely one of the hidden gems of Bangkok.

Not only does this restaurant offer great food at good prices, but the money you pay goes towards supporting the work of the Population and Community Development Association.

The founder of Condoms and Cabbages Senator Mechai Viravaidya apparently opened this first restaurant to support the spread of knowledge and understanding of contraception through Thailand. He theorised that cabbages are a common food in Thailand, in fact they are a staple part of the diet, grown in all villages and everybody uses them. If only condoms could be as common and cheap as cabbages, then some of the population and health problems facing Thailand could be overcome!

Now, years later, condoms are indeed as easy to find and cheap as cabbages, and the impact of this restaurant on the Thai population and HIV statistics is proof of the effectiveness of this one idea. Now there are Cabbages and Condoms restaurants scattered around Thailand, and even a few Resorts!

Some things are common to all of them. Great food, great prices, a great sense of humour and condoms instead of after dinner mints..

Favorite Dish: One of the Thais in our party just ordered random dishes to be sent and everything was just exquisite. The fish dishes in particular were spectacular, and they happily catered for the vegetarians in our group.

The atmostphere of this open air restaurant is lovely, with fairy lights hung all around in the trees. Have a drink at the vasectomy bar, after dinner do a bit of shopping in the attached shop, and above all, tip generously as all money goes to a truly worthy cause. Believe me you will want to tip well anyway because the food is just wonderful.

• Gay and Lesbian
    • Singles

• pmarshuk's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: Food and Family Planning

by pmarshuk Updated Apr 4, 2011

The only restauarnt I've been to where you are given a condom with your bill. Profits from the restaurant go to the Population and Community Development Association which aims at educating people in the benfits of safe sex and birth control.
    The food here was very good on my first visit and at a reasonable price(can't remember exactly how much) and the service impeccable. No rubbery taste to any of the food unless you think the condom is an after dinner mint.
    On my second visit I thought the food was a bit boring - definitely nothing special. However the general atmosphere was still very nice
    You have a choice of either sitting outside in the gardens or inside. However beware of sitting too close to the ornamental ponds and fountains as in the evenings they attract some biting insects. I found the best place to sit was upstairs, which is undercover in case it rains and if you have a seat around the edge you get a nice view of the diners below.

• Cabbages & Condoms: Cold $60 Meal Course

by KittyCats Written Mar 15, 2010

Great theme and decor but the furniture is checxp and nasty. Food is excellent but high price and the service is a mess.
    Having been served our main course at the same time as the starter on our last visit we insisted we did not want to order mains until we had finished our starters. This was not allowed and the waitress insisted we order eveything at the same time and she would ensure we get the meals at the correct time. We had to returnthe main courses TWICE as they came along while we were eating the starter. When we finally got the main course it was cold :(
    Never again C&C

Favorite Dish: Shrimp cakes are fantastic!

• gaolei's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: Unusual, but good

by gaolei Updated Apr 12, 2009

Enter the Restaurant

The name gets your attention right away. I did not know what to expect. I was not disappointed. The restaurant supports population control projects in villages, hence the condoms. The first thing you see when you enter is the condom blossom tree, and Santa condom, And the other art works based on condoms. You also see a beautiful garden restaurant.

When you check out, they deliver the receipt along with a brochure and two brightly colored condoms. Best of all, the brochure claims that their food is guaranteed not to cause pregnancy.

Favorite Dish: I had the softshell crab in the thai style. Everything here was good, and the spice level was not too hot.

• jojes's Profile Photo

Cabbages and condoms: An absolute must !

by jojes Updated Mar 27, 2009

A restaurant that is an absolute must in Bangkok is "Cabbages and Condoms".
    Despite the somewhat strange name, it really is a restaurant with a mission. The profits of the restaurant go to projects concerning safe sex and aids-awareness in Thailand.

The food is great, the atmosphere is fantastic ! The tropical setting of the restaurant is very inviting to sit outside, but for those who find that too hot, there is also an AC-section inside.
    This also is the only restaurant that gives you condoms with your bill instead of the classic mints.

On our last Thailand trip, we had several one night stopovers in Bangkok and we had dinner here each time ! We didn't even bother to look for something else, just straight to C&C !

Favorite Dish: They serve traditional Thai dishes (with the known spicyness), but you can also order traditional dishes that are more "western-spicy".
    I can't really give one specific dish, we liked everything we tasted there.

• ancient_traveler's Profile Photo

CABBAGES & CONDOMS

by ancient_traveler Updated Jun 21, 2008

Thai ice tea

This restaurant is run by Thailand's Population and Community Development Association, believes "birth control should be as cheap as vegetables"—hence the restaurant's name! There is plenty of room, inside and outside in the garden, which is nice if the weather permits. An extensive variety of cocktails and other drinks is available at the "Vasectomy Bar," and the service is friendly and efficient. This is a great choice for good quality Thai food, albeit in slightly surreal surroundings (especially the walls covered with condoms from across the globe!). (Information by Wcities)

Favorite Dish: roast young chicken with honey & crispy duck with mango salad

• Rodan44's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: Condoms with Every Meal

by Rodan44 Updated Jun 6, 2008

Justin with after-meal condoms

Despite the silly name, Cabbages and Condoms has a very serious mission. Started in 1974, this chain of restaurants and beach resorts are run by PDA, Population and Community Development Association, Thailand's largest non-governmental organisation. The aim is to help bring financial aid and public awareness to the HIV/AIDS epidemic that Thailand is currently struggling to contain. Still, the restaurants maintain a fun and relaxed atmosphere, with moderately priced food, a gift shop, and free condoms in place of mints at the end of the meal. This method of injecting some playful humor into a serious cause has proved quite effective, and the chain has been wildly successful.

Favorite Dish: My wife and I visited the original restaurant off Sukhimvit Road in Bangkok for lunch. Though fairly empty at the time, they still served up some pretty decent Thai food. All the standard favorites are there. They probably had western food as well, but that didn't interest me. Though more expensive than most Thai restaurants, we were happy that the money went to a good cause.

• Suzze's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: It's not what you think!

by Suzze Updated Mar 24, 2008

A very funny poster!

We were told to try this restaurant by a friend, so could not resisit as it was within walking distance from our hotel.
    We walked about ten mins down the road turned down a side road and it was a few min walk from there. I recgonised the signs when walking up to it and as we walked in it was all very romantic really. It was all lit up with lights and we sat outside to eat, as it was so warm. We had a lovely dinner there and the service was very good.
    After we had eaten we had a wonder around. We so wanted a foot massage as you can get one of these there, unfortunalty we were a bit too late. The ladies go home at 10pm. We had a wonder around and the theme of this place is trying to get safe sex across to everyone and it's all done in a very tasteful way. When we first walked in we came face to face with a santa all made out of condoms!!
    They have a nice little gift shop on the way out so had to buy some glasses with the restaurants name on!

• Vita500's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: Awesome place with great food & atmosphere

by Vita500 Updated Nov 1, 2007

Cabbages & Condoms

This place is awesome!

The restaurant is very picturesque indeed. Life-sized manikins dressed in robes made out of condoms, lamps covered in condoms, articles about aids-prevention... the theme is obvious and the interior designers definitely weren't one of the old school...

You have two floors, the second being a balcony-style lounge overlooking the first floor garden. It feels like sitting open-air but in fact you're not. Just the sides are open to catch a small glimpse of the sky outside (for air-con-lovers, they also offer indoor seating). Numerous fans and plants are creating a very comfy and cosy atmosphere... perfect for a romantic dinner for two, casual gathering with friends or even business luncheon.

It's also the only restaurant I know where you are given condoms instead of mints with the bill. Their motto: "Sorry, we don't have mints. Please take a condom instead"! ;-)

The menu is rather versatile with various appetizers, soups and main dishes as well as a nice selection of yummy desserts. From Thai curry to sweet-and-sour pork, every taste is catered for...

Personally, I loved the fresh juices. During my dinner, I had two 'young coconut' juices served in the shell... so tasty.

The prices are very moderate indeed. About average for Bangkok I'd say. For three juices, one big appetizer, two main dishes and two desserts, we paid around 900 Baht including tax and service charge.

For me, Cabbages & Condoms is a must-go place for lunch or dinner or both...

• Khairiah's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: Great food

by Khairiah Written Jun 12, 2007

The food is so so good. I had the seafood tom yam, pandan leaves chicken, spicy fish, crab meat fried rice and green curry chicken. They were all good. And Im not exaggerating. All for 1600 Baht, that's about 70 singapore dollars for 3 people, which I thought was pretty affordable. The place is really nice with a great ambience. Lights all around, waterfall. It advocates safe sex so you get picures of condoms and remidners to have safe sex everywhere. The servcie was immaculate, makes you feel really welcomed.

Favorite Dish: If you go, you must get the green curry chicken with the crab meat fried rice. The rice is aromatic and the chicken is so full of flavour. Yum.

• traceyspacey's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: Condoms everywhere

by traceyspacey Written May 16, 2007

The food was amazing. Not normally into themed restaurants, but this is different. As the name suggests this restaurant promotes safe sex. We sat in the covered terrace area. Happy buzzy atmosphere. Worth treating yourself too. After dinner mints a bit chewy (condoms).

Favorite Dish: Since I have only eaten there once hard to say. But the stir fried chicken with cashew nuts and dried chilli was yummy.

• slasty's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: Cabbages and Condoms

by slasty Written Jan 19, 2007

Have been here a number of times now and love this Restaurant. The name sounds a bit tacky but sitting outside in the garden with all the fairy lights and the Thai music is really nice. Have heard mixed reports about the food but I have always enjoyed it and since going there with a local who gave me to tips on what to order I enjoyed it even more. Great place for a reasonably priced romantic dinner.

Favorite Dish: There are so many great Thai dishes. There was one where we wrapped up leaves with all different types of herbs which was delicious.

• lgh's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: A must if you've never been there

by lgh Written Dec 4, 2006

This restaurant is a must especially if you have never visited the place before. The thai foods are delicious and reasonably priced. Restaurant is decorated with colourful condoms (which is quite obvious considering the name).

Favorite Dish: Uniquely decorated
    Condoms shop on the entrance of the restaurant with wide variety of selections from colours to shapes :D

Instant Answers: Bangkok

Comments

Hotels Near Cabbages & Condoms
4.5 out of 5 stars