Cabbages & Condoms, Bangkok

by blueskyjohn
  • Cabbages & Condoms
    by blueskyjohn
  • blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: Interesting concept - But Great Food!

by blueskyjohn Updated Oct 5, 2014

I was a bit intrigued by this restaurant. I mean, the two words really do not go together in any relation I can think of. So I gave it a try. I am glad I did. Walking in through a covered plant filled path brings you to some interesting signs relating to sex. Walking further in are several statues of different figures made of condoms.

But onto the food. They have two seating areas, indoor and outdoor. The outdoor has a pool of water and water fall down a wall. Very nice and I chose to sit outside. The start I had the chicken and corn taco. These were delicious. For the main course I had the Panang Chicken. This was also very good.

The only issue I had was that I was being bitten by mosquitoes during the entire meal. Toward the end, my waiter gave me a bottle of insect repellent. Great idea....even better if he gave it to me at the start of the meal instead of when I was finished.

I went back a second time and had the same starter because it was so good. For the main course on my second visit I had the Chicken and cashew dish. This also was very good.

Would definitely return again and again.

Favorite Dish: The corn and chicken taco. You get 9 small shells filled with this mixture. here's a hint. To make them even tastier, squirt some fresh lime on each. WOW! So good.

• Singles

• Cabage & Condoms: Fantastic food & great theme

by tourist2bangkok Written May 17, 2012

Not on the beaten track, but glad we found it. Wonderful theme, great food and good service. Would highly recommend this restaurant to my friends.

Tried five items from the menu including soup and spring rolls; all fabulous.

• cabbage and condoms: Not as good as my first visit 10 years ago

by julfakelley Written Dec 13, 2011

The restaurant changed a lot. from what it was before 10yrs ago. they are more focused on decorating with condoms to attract the tourist ''customer'' and putting condoms on celebrity statues. But I am concerned about the food taste and quality and costumer service. i always stop over at cabbages and condoms for lunch, as i have expectation of eating great food, but this time i was so disappointed - from the costumer service to the food. Now they are more focused on tourism, but not on the quality of the food.

I feel like being discriminated against because they think I'm Thai, though I'm not. i asked some of the waitresses for something, but they ignored me and focus only on white people i don't know why? is it becz they think am thai? but if so, then they are discriminating against their own people.

Favorite Dish: I used to love their steamed fish, but this time it was not that good. It was not served properly and not served hot enough, despite with candle under net.

• Cabbages & Condoms: Cold $60 Meal Course

by KittyCats Written Mar 15, 2010

Great theme and decor but the furniture is checxp and nasty. Food is excellent but high price and the service is a mess.
    Having been served our main course at the same time as the starter on our last visit we insisted we did not want to order mains until we had finished our starters. This was not allowed and the waitress insisted we order eveything at the same time and she would ensure we get the meals at the correct time. We had to returnthe main courses TWICE as they came along while we were eating the starter. When we finally got the main course it was cold :(
    Never again C&C

Favorite Dish: Shrimp cakes are fantastic!

• gaolei's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: Unusual, but good

by gaolei Updated Apr 12, 2009

The name gets your attention right away. I did not know what to expect. I was not disappointed. The restaurant supports population control projects in villages, hence the condoms. The first thing you see when you enter is the condom blossom tree, and Santa condom, And the other art works based on condoms. You also see a beautiful garden restaurant.

When you check out, they deliver the receipt along with a brochure and two brightly colored condoms. Best of all, the brochure claims that their food is guaranteed not to cause pregnancy.

Favorite Dish: I had the softshell crab in the thai style. Everything here was good, and the spice level was not too hot.

Enter the Restaurant Santa Condom Condom Man Unique Lighting Condom Kid

• jojes's Profile Photo

Cabbages and condoms: An absolute must !

by jojes Updated Mar 27, 2009

A restaurant that is an absolute must in Bangkok is "Cabbages and Condoms".
    Despite the somewhat strange name, it really is a restaurant with a mission. The profits of the restaurant go to projects concerning safe sex and aids-awareness in Thailand.

The food is great, the atmosphere is fantastic ! The tropical setting of the restaurant is very inviting to sit outside, but for those who find that too hot, there is also an AC-section inside.
    This also is the only restaurant that gives you condoms with your bill instead of the classic mints.

On our last Thailand trip, we had several one night stopovers in Bangkok and we had dinner here each time ! We didn't even bother to look for something else, just straight to C&C !

Favorite Dish: They serve traditional Thai dishes (with the known spicyness), but you can also order traditional dishes that are more "western-spicy".
    I can't really give one specific dish, we liked everything we tasted there.

• ancient_traveler's Profile Photo

CABBAGES & CONDOMS

by ancient_traveler Updated Jun 21, 2008

This restaurant is run by Thailand's Population and Community Development Association, believes "birth control should be as cheap as vegetables"—hence the restaurant's name! There is plenty of room, inside and outside in the garden, which is nice if the weather permits. An extensive variety of cocktails and other drinks is available at the "Vasectomy Bar," and the service is friendly and efficient. This is a great choice for good quality Thai food, albeit in slightly surreal surroundings (especially the walls covered with condoms from across the globe!). (Information by Wcities)

Favorite Dish: roast young chicken with honey & crispy duck with mango salad

Thai ice tea safety first! crispy duck with mango salad made by condoms ( not used condoms ^_^)

• Suzze's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: It's not what you think!

by Suzze Updated Mar 24, 2008

We were told to try this restaurant by a friend, so could not resisit as it was within walking distance from our hotel.
    We walked about ten mins down the road turned down a side road and it was a few min walk from there. I recgonised the signs when walking up to it and as we walked in it was all very romantic really. It was all lit up with lights and we sat outside to eat, as it was so warm. We had a lovely dinner there and the service was very good.
    After we had eaten we had a wonder around. We so wanted a foot massage as you can get one of these there, unfortunalty we were a bit too late. The ladies go home at 10pm. We had a wonder around and the theme of this place is trying to get safe sex across to everyone and it's all done in a very tasteful way. When we first walked in we came face to face with a santa all made out of condoms!!
    They have a nice little gift shop on the way out so had to buy some glasses with the restaurants name on!

A very funny poster! The entrance Santa made out of condoms!

• Vita500's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: Awesome place with great food & atmosphere

by Vita500 Updated Nov 1, 2007

This place is awesome!

The restaurant is very picturesque indeed. Life-sized manikins dressed in robes made out of condoms, lamps covered in condoms, articles about aids-prevention... the theme is obvious and the interior designers definitely weren't one of the old school...

You have two floors, the second being a balcony-style lounge overlooking the first floor garden. It feels like sitting open-air but in fact you're not. Just the sides are open to catch a small glimpse of the sky outside (for air-con-lovers, they also offer indoor seating). Numerous fans and plants are creating a very comfy and cosy atmosphere... perfect for a romantic dinner for two, casual gathering with friends or even business luncheon.

It's also the only restaurant I know where you are given condoms instead of mints with the bill. Their motto: "Sorry, we don't have mints. Please take a condom instead"! ;-)

The menu is rather versatile with various appetizers, soups and main dishes as well as a nice selection of yummy desserts. From Thai curry to sweet-and-sour pork, every taste is catered for...

Personally, I loved the fresh juices. During my dinner, I had two 'young coconut' juices served in the shell... so tasty.

The prices are very moderate indeed. About average for Bangkok I'd say. For three juices, one big appetizer, two main dishes and two desserts, we paid around 900 Baht including tax and service charge.

For me, Cabbages & Condoms is a must-go place for lunch or dinner or both...

Cabbages & Condoms Blick from the terrace onto the 1st floor garden Sweet!

• Khairiah's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: Great food

by Khairiah Written Jun 12, 2007

The food is so so good. I had the seafood tom yam, pandan leaves chicken, spicy fish, crab meat fried rice and green curry chicken. They were all good. And Im not exaggerating. All for 1600 Baht, that's about 70 singapore dollars for 3 people, which I thought was pretty affordable. The place is really nice with a great ambience. Lights all around, waterfall. It advocates safe sex so you get picures of condoms and remidners to have safe sex everywhere. The servcie was immaculate, makes you feel really welcomed.

Favorite Dish: If you go, you must get the green curry chicken with the crab meat fried rice. The rice is aromatic and the chicken is so full of flavour. Yum.

• traceyspacey's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: Condoms everywhere

by traceyspacey Written May 16, 2007

The food was amazing. Not normally into themed restaurants, but this is different. As the name suggests this restaurant promotes safe sex. We sat in the covered terrace area. Happy buzzy atmosphere. Worth treating yourself too. After dinner mints a bit chewy (condoms).

Favorite Dish: Since I have only eaten there once hard to say. But the stir fried chicken with cashew nuts and dried chilli was yummy.

• slasty's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: Cabbages and Condoms

by slasty Written Jan 19, 2007

Have been here a number of times now and love this Restaurant. The name sounds a bit tacky but sitting outside in the garden with all the fairy lights and the Thai music is really nice. Have heard mixed reports about the food but I have always enjoyed it and since going there with a local who gave me to tips on what to order I enjoyed it even more. Great place for a reasonably priced romantic dinner.

Favorite Dish: There are so many great Thai dishes. There was one where we wrapped up leaves with all different types of herbs which was delicious.

• lgh's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: A must if you've never been there

by lgh Written Dec 4, 2006

This restaurant is a must especially if you have never visited the place before. The thai foods are delicious and reasonably priced. Restaurant is decorated with colourful condoms (which is quite obvious considering the name).

Favorite Dish: Uniquely decorated
    Condoms shop on the entrance of the restaurant with wide variety of selections from colours to shapes :D

fancy that....clothing made of condoms

• TracyLB's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: Great Atmosphere, Food and Service

by TracyLB Written Aug 15, 2006

Well i really liked this restaurant..It was well lit up..which made for a really nice atmosphere..The service was excellent the food was very good!! The idea behind the name is also very interesting..Definately worth a visit, will go back again!!

Favorite Dish: We had a really interesting appetizer..It was a Betel Leaf with Thai things on it!!

Betel Leaf Appetizer Me with all the Yummy Food!! Greg Eating Betel Leaf Betel Leaf Appetizer

• enjoyable_bangkok's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: Eat for a good cause

by enjoyable_bangkok Written Jul 3, 2006

The restaurant decor is very interesting, with different country condoms hanging around. Expect to spend around 600baht for 2 people here excluding wine. Outside the restaurant there is a garden and also a shop for you to buy gifts. I bought interesting condom keychain for 30baht each. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner and it is not featured in the Cabbages and Condom site thus do not be tricked by the taxi driver in thinking it is closed(1 tried to trick me).

Liang at C&C restaurant. Look at the condom decor.

Instant Answers: Bangkok

Comments

Hotels Near Cabbages & Condoms
4.5 out of 5 stars