Hemlock, Bangkok

by chicabonita
  • Hemlock
    by chicabonita
  • chicabonita's Profile Photo

Hemlock: nice place to eat

by chicabonita Written Oct 22, 2008

shrimps with rice served in pineapple

As we had no clue where to got for dinner and didn't want to end up in Khao San road again we consulted our Lonley Planet and looked for a place not to far away from our hotel. Hemlock was a good choice.

The nice and kind of european style of the restaurant was a nice change. Food was good and prices were reasonable.

• Tijavi's Profile Photo

Hemlock: Thai cuisine romanticized

by Tijavi Updated Mar 7, 2008

Inside Hemlock

Taking inspiration from the potion that killed Shakespeare's star-crossed lovers, Hemlock is Thai food romanticized - with lots of chillies and exotic spices, except that I settled for the less spicy rice dish with native sausage and dried shrimps. The odd combination (actually, not really that odd for my Southeast Asian palate) provides a happy contrast between the rich pork concoction that is the sausage and the salty, a-bit-crunchy texture of the shrimp. The rice acted as the unifying agent. Washed down with ice-cold beer, it was a fitting start to what would be a nice gastronomic two-day trip around the city (and country) that boasts one of the world's best-loved cuisine.

The dessert list though did not charm me, so I opted to have it elsewhere. Service was mediocre owing perhaps to the lack of staff (there were only two that night - both doing the serving and the cashiering) and strong customer flow. Unfortunately, I also sense a strong 'preference' for Caucasian customers - both in choice of seats and service quality - an observation that was soon validated in other restaurants. This is a farang-loving (foreigners, Caucasians, specifically) country after all.

• beebah's Profile Photo

Hemlock - Art Restaurant: OK food, Good Atmosphere, Bad service

by beebah Updated Sep 26, 2006

Hemlock, Bangkok

Don't know what happened to this place. Maybe they need more friendly staff (or just simpy hire MORE staff ) Last time we were there ( last month, August 2006) waiter couldn't be any ruder. I asked him nicely if I could have a menu (please) he just snapped "Can you just chill out for a second?" Don't you tell me to "chill out" I come to a restaurant to eat, not to chill out.

It's double-standard at this place. If you look a bit well-off you might not have a problem. They seem to take care "look richer" guests first. I asked for bottle of water many times, it's never been served. I had to walk to get it by myself. (from the case that was lying on the corner of dining room)

I might be very biased here anyway, Just listen but you don't have to believe everything I'm saying. We were probablly unlucky that day. But totally, I hated this place that evening. Heard from my friend too that they've been serving like this for a while because they have not enough staff.

Food itself is not that bad But a bit too mild for Thai taste. b For example, Tom Yum Goong is not spicy as it should be..really really mild..too mild!)

The place is lovely, nice decorated. But they NEED to do something with their employess before their reputation will get worse.

Anyway, another outstanding "selling point" of this place is they're "Art Restaurant" which means they are venue for art events too (photography exhibition, performances, plays) Get some flyers at their resto.

Favorite Dish: Gai Hor Baitoey (Fried Chicken wrapped in pandanus leaf)

• AndreSTGT's Profile Photo

Hemlock: Real Thai in Banglamphu

by AndreSTGT Updated Jan 20, 2006

Hemlock on Phra Arthit is deservedly the first adress for Thai cuisine in Banglamphu. It's Thai food 'at its best' with an extensive menu of mouth-watering delicacies. And the best thing is you don't pay much more for the truly delicious dishes here than you would pay for mediocre, westernized Thai food at the ubiquitous farang places around. Definitely not my last visit here!

Favorite Dish: Gorgeous Red Curry with Chicken and Pineapple (80B)
    Mushrooms with Cashew nuts (80B)

• pattayaraj's Profile Photo

Lemon Grass: Lemon Grass

by pattayaraj Written Sep 6, 2004

-I think Thai food here 's ok but not so delicious, it's a Thai food for foreigner than for Thai(that 's why I saw so many foreigners there). So it's not spicy and strong as usual.But the condition 're ok.
    -Lunch: 11am-2pm daily. Dinner: 6pm-11pm daily.
    -Booking Is the must.

• pattayaraj's Profile Photo

Hemlock: Phra Athit area3

by pattayaraj Written Feb 25, 2004

Pub and restuarant where I always hanged when I was in University.Not just food and drink , the shop be as art gallery and sometimes held an art exhibition which may interested for the one who 'd like to enjoy eating together with art stuff.
    A recommend seat 's on the 1st floor, near a big glass wall.

• j-san's Profile Photo

Hemlock: Hemlock

by j-san Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite Dish: anything anything!! Everything is around the 50Baht mark, the atmosphere is wonderful. Jazz, cozy interior, soothing and cool. They have a collection of teas on display and well... with me the tea-freak I was thrilled to recognize some of my Australian and Japanese favorites, I felt right at home here and the food... mmm

Instant Answers: Bangkok

Comments

Hotels Near Hemlock
4.0 out of 5 stars