Little Italy, Bangkok

Sukhumvit Soi 23 02 260 9750

Diavolo pizza at Little Italy restaurant
    Little Italy, Sukhumvit, Bangkok
  • Strawberry Cream Cup at Little Italy restaurant
    Strawberry Cream Cup at Little Italy...
  • Antonycarrera's Profile Photo

Little Italy: Great Italian food!

by Antonycarrera Written Jan 6, 2013

We went there quiet late and found this opened restaurant (they said Open all Night). As I'm Italian and after enjoyed Thai food I was happy to taste my local food.
    And We were happily surpise. The atmosphere is very nice, we were welcome nicely.
    We ordered and after a giant italian sausage speciality my wife have a very nice Pizza and I had perfectly cooked pasta. Food was great. We just had the house wine and it was nice too.
    Prices are average but worth it.

I would recommend this place without hesitation.

Favorite Dish: Saussage special
    Spaghetti Aglio
    Pizza Diavola

• Wine Tasting

• Little Italy - Sukhumvit Soi 23 - Bangkok: Stay away from this ridiculously bad service!!

by jon_mak_mak Written Jan 31, 2010

Stay away from this ridiculously bad service!!

My wife, 10 month old daughter and myself where staying at the Admiral Premier Hotel (great hotel) on Soi 23 and near the end of our holiday we decided to go out for an Italian and had seen the Little Italy restaurant at the beginning of Sukhumvit Soi 23 so thought we would give it a try.

First thing I noticed was that all the prices on the menu out the front were worn and you couldn't make the prices out. I thought that was abit strange and would of liked to of known the prices before I went in but we went in anyway. We were shown to a table near the window at the front but never take these as I don't like to be the people that everyone is looking at when considering a restaurant and also because we had a pushchair we needed a table that was convenient for that so we picked our own table at the back and my wife asked a member of staff for a baby chair, the girl responded with "we don't have any but you can push 2 chairs together and the (10 month old) baby can sit in there!!" Astounded by the stupidity of the idea my wife said "err...No, thanks!" I also noticed the the white plates were really worn and scratched and in need on replacing and the table cloth was dirty and hadn't been changed.

So we got our menus and ordered a drink. The menu said SAM MIGUEL BEER so as we were tired of drinking Heineken, Singha and Leo we opted for that. When the drinks arrived they were SAM MIGUEL LIGHT! I tasted one and called the waitress and told her that we didn't order these. My wife explained to the waitress that we don't like 'Light Beer' and that we had ordered Sam Miguel. The waitress went and got another waitress who came over and said "you ordered Sam Miguel and you got sam Miguel, whats the problem?!" My wife had to explain for a second time that its light beer with no mention in the menu. Now you may think that its a small problem but it was the way in which it was all handled, rudely, inefficiently and the whole thing was made to look like our fault.

After I told her I'm not drinking them and want to change she changed them to Heineken and was basically rude. We then sat there waiting for about 10 minutes and the waitresses avoided us and didn't take our order for food. We couldn't believe how rude and immature these little girls were and it made us very angry.

We drunk our beer quickly and 'checked bin'. The bill was expensive for the beers including 17% tax and service charge! Yes, we had to pay for this service!!

To sum it up - Worn restaurant, VERY unprofessional and rude staff, very expensive. Avoid at all costs.

Favorite Dish: Nothing, they wouldn't take our order!

• Little Italy: Tourist Trap

by Stoke100 Written Jan 22, 2010

A Tourist Trap. The setting and decor are all very nice but the Pizzas we were served were probably the blandest I've ever had in an Italian restaurant anywhere, total cardboard. The Spaggetti Bolognaise was quite acceptable though.

It is not made clear that everything on the menu will actually cost 17% more than listed due to a 10% service charge and the 7% VAT. This is just added to your bill at the end. Very expensive (considering this is Bangkok, not New York or London) for what was a forgettable meal. For instance, a small bottle of coca-cola (that you could buy in any shop for about 12 baht) costs 100 baht, plus the 17% add-on, means a total of 117 baht which is an incredible mark up on the actual product.

I left feeling distinctly unsatisfied and had a feeling of being ripped-off. Steer clear as there are many better places in the immediate area.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Little Italy: Italian food in Sukhumvit

by SWFC_Fan Written Oct 8, 2007

Little Italy, Sukhumvit, Bangkok

I ate at Little Italy one evening during a visit to Bangkok in September 2007.

This fairly upmarket Italian restaurant is located on Sukhumvit Soi 23, about 5-10 minutes walk along the main road from the Sukhumvit MRTA (subway) station.

Despite being fairly upmarket, it appears that there is no dress code in place. I was still wearing my shorts, t-shirt and flip flops from a day of sightseeing, but after I enquired with the waitress at the door I was invited inside with no problems. I was going to sit at one of the outdoor tables, but the waitress insisted that I sit inside in the air-conditioned dining room.

The reason for me stating that this restaurant is “upmarket” is that all the tables were nicely set with wine glasses, elaborately folded serviettes and bread sticks. The bar area was plush, and even the lighting had an “upmarket” feel about it. The background music was provided by ABBA (by virtue of a CD…the restaurant wasn’t upmarket enough for a live performance!).

Not surprisingly for an Italian restaurant, pasta and pizza feature heavily on the menu. Pasta dishes include spaghetti, lasagne, linguini, tortellini and fusilli. The pizza choices are extensive (ham, pineapple, mushroom, pepperoni, seafood, chicken…), but sadly, in a country renowned for its hot chillis, none of the pizzas sounded as though they’d be hot and fiery! As well as the staple Italian dishes, there is also a choice of meat and seafood meals.

Appetizers include garlic bread, Parma ham and bruschetta, while desserts include tiramisu, blueberry cheesecake, fresh fruit salad and ice cream sundaes.

The staff were extremely attentive – I felt as though there was at least one pair of eyes on me at all times. Before I’d even finished swallowing my last mouthful, a waitress had appeared and whisked my plate away!

Favorite Dish: I opted for:

Pizza Diavola - Cost: 270 Bahts (approx. 4.20 GBP)

A large thin pizza with a thin and crispy crust. Topped with small pieces of pepperoni, diced tomatoes and red peppers. It was tasty enough, but I’d have preferred more (and hotter!) peppers.

Strawberry Cream Cup - Cost: 180 Bahts (approx. 2.75 GBP)

Strawberry ice cream topped with whipped cream, strawberry syrup and an Italian Tricolore flag! Pretty expensive by Thai standards, and not a particularly big portion.

Singha beer (330ml) - Cost: 90 Bahts (approx. 1.40 GBP)

Sprite lemonade (330ml) - Cost: 50 Bahts (approx. 0.80 GBP)

While waiting to pay my bill, I received a complimentary liqueur…but I promise not to let the generous hospitality unduly influence my VT review! ;-)

Good Italian food in the heart of Sukhumvit…although relatively expensive by Bangkok standards.

Instant Answers: Bangkok