Mango Tree, Bangkok

Tom yum goong
    Griller river prawn
    Mieng Kam appetizer
  • shintarojon's Profile Photo

Mango Tree: For Rich People?!

by shintarojon Updated Mar 3, 2004

Mango Tree

(date visited - Feb. 11, 2004)

Looking for good ambience with Thai traditional dance performers? This is the place to go with but never forget to add more money to your wallet 'coz price of wine, food, etc. are really expensive! Quantity of the food too is not satisfying! You're just paying for the good surroundings I guess....

Favorite Dish: 1. Kao-Neow-Ma-Muang (sticky rice with mango) - THB 75

Note: 1/8 size slice of the mango and a cup of extra-small size of sticky rice!

2. Buko juice - THB 65
    3. Mango juice - THB 65

• einokj's Profile Photo

Mango Tree: Thai food and more

by einokj Updated Apr 4, 2011

Meal in Mango tree

The place was mentioned in Lonely Planet so we checked it out. Eventually, we visited there twice. The place is really nice and clean and has lovely meals. I recommend.

Favorite Dish: Especially the duck in the pineapple was the reason why we were here twice. It was the best meal we had while we were in Thailand. As well, the fish was really good, too.

• Bangkokjoe's Profile Photo

Mango Tree: Decent Thai Food - Decent Thai Surroundings

by Bangkokjoe Updated Sep 7, 2005

Mr.  Mango Trees Camera and Ceramics Collection

Right. The Mango Tree.

Rich Central Thailand cuisine that the chefs will temper up in the spices to suit the local's taste or temper across so it suits the non-locals' taste. All the meals are rich and extremely tasty. The reliance is not just on the chili pepper to announce you are eating Thai food. They help you through ordering if you are not versed in the "lob it all in together" approach of starters, soups, curries, veggies and post match desserts.

All the curries rely on flavours rather than heat and spice alone. Yes - they do, they do. The soups are none too bitter either. The Tom Kha Gai is usually the right balance of lemon and stuff, never curdling. I can always recommend the Yellow, or Red, Duck Curry every time. (Donald? Tough mate. Even if you do wear a nice sailor's uniform!)

The entry lobby sets you up with expectations of a slightly above market feel inside. Marvel at the owner's camera collection and posh ceramics. Shows they take a bit of pride in the joint. (The Mango Tree has outside garden tables as well as inside air con. Best to roll up before 8pm. On weekends the outside has dancers 8.00 to 8.30ish)

PS: Remember, in Thailand you throw all the dishes in together to share. You don't order your own starter, your own main and your own dessert. If you do this you will miss out on alot.

Favorite Dish: All of them. Duck curries get a big vote as they are rich in taste and not just overdone on heat.

Wines - stay on the whites if you can. Chilled stuff keeps better in hot humid Bangkok. Reds at room temperature are asking for bother. Plus, the lighter white will clean and refresh your "heat" better than a fluffy, full-bodied red.

Sounds awful to say this... but try and get a decent waitress as this does affect how you enjoy your meal, and how it all arrives.

Price below is about what you pay each if two of you sink a bottle of the love plonk between you.

• leffe3's Profile Photo

The Mango Tree: Lovely surrounds

by leffe3 Updated Jul 14, 2003

Found in a small alley linking two major streets in the Pat Phong area is this gorgeous restaurant. A lovely tree and plant bedecked terrace for outdoor dining (usually accompanied by live traditional music) or a series of small, fairly intimate rooms, tastefully mixing contemporary and traditional decor.

Favorite Dish: An emphasis on classic Thai but also offers variations on a theme of more recognisable European food. But stick to the Thai - its glorious.
    A little more expensive than the norm, but is reasonably priced considering the quality of food, the lovely surrounds and impeccable service. Appears to popular with Thais, ex-pats as well as tourists.
    Amazingly, a second branch has now opened in London!

• jmmorgan's Profile Photo

Mango Tree: A good restaurant

by jmmorgan Updated Apr 18, 2004

We chose Mango Tree from our guidebook as it was near to Patpong and sounded good. The restaurant was very busy but we were soon at a table. The menu is extensive and very enticing. It took a long time to choose our meal. We chose a selection of dishes, Tom Yam soup (of course) a chicken dish a pork dish and two seafood dishes. Accompanied by a vegetable dish and stemed rice all accompanied by cold beer.
    The place is nicely decorated with artifacts and some old camersa which interested me. The music was pleasant and unobtrusive. The food and service were excellent and we didn't think the bill was exorbitant compared to what we would have paid for such a meal in our own country.

Favorite Dish: Huge, enormous prawns!

• Seniors

• Mango Tree: Delightful Place

by Dan2020 Written Nov 15, 2007

If you have a thing for dining in old Thai house setting, this has got to be the place. With the live Thai taditional music, we had a wonderful experience there. Food was delicious and authentic Thai. The selection on their menu was just mind boggling. You will be spoilt for choice. We took the easy way out by asking the waiter to recommend dishes. Service was both professional and attentive.

We had Miang Kam (a mixture of fresh cordiments wrapped in a leaf), Mixed appetizers in crispy golden cup, Wing bean salad (must-try). Tom Yam Kung, Musamun curry with chicken, Deep fried pomfret with garlic and peper and stir fried morning glory

Favorite Dish: Miang Kam - simple appitiser but very unique. What I lilke was the dried shrimps was crispy.

• hamili's Profile Photo

Mango Tree: Excellent Dinner!

by hamili Written Apr 10, 2004

I had a most delicious dinner in this place. The food was excellent. The service was really good and they had thai music and tha dancing outside. We did have to stay inside because if the air-conditioning. The interior is tastefully decorated in a marriage of thai and western style, with a collection of cameras in the waiting area and old photographs on the wall.

They also have restaurants in London and Tokyo of the same name.

Favorite Dish: You definitely have to try the seafood in a banana leaf cup. I only wish I can have it again soon.

The pork in pandanus leaves are also tasty if you like pork.

• ishi01's Profile Photo

Mango Tree: Some Fine Dining in Bangkok

by ishi01 Written Jun 25, 2010

Mieng Kam appetizer

I first dined at the Mango Tree 10 years ago and if memory served me right, I thought the placed felt very up market. A client paid for our dinner at the restaurant and i never knew how much the whole meal set him back. Numerous reviews of the restaurant confirms my suspicion that meals at the Mango Tree would be expensive. Fast forward 10 years, I ventured again to dine at the Mango Tree. It was good to know that they are still around in spite of the drastically reduce tourist arrivals due to the recent mayhem.
    On arrival, I was greeted by the soothing sounds of the traditional thai music playing in the courtyard. I was shown a seat quite near to the musicians but being asian, i chose to dine inside where it is nice and cool. The waiters were friendly and efficient and a cursory glance at the price tags seems to indicate that the prices were not bad at all. Certainly it would have not made me stayed away from Mango Tree had I known that the prices were not really expensive.
    The price ratings below would show that per pax price is around US$50 which is considered expensive. But I think it is not too bad considering that the food taste good and the seafood tasted fresh and the location saves you from a two hour drive to the coast just for fresh seafood.

Favorite Dish: The Mieng Kam as an appetizer is always good. I love the Tom Yum Goong as it was prepared the way I like. Having attended a culinary class in Thai cooking, I understand that the authentic Thai tum yum goong is quite sour and simple. It appears that I have developed a liking to a variety of tom yum that is somewhat more balanced i.e. the sourness of the lime balanced off with the sweetness of palm sugar and perhaps vegetable stocks - served at the Seacusine group of restaurants in Kuala Lumpur.

• alohabrendon's Profile Photo

One of my favorite restaurants...

by alohabrendon Written Aug 24, 2002

One of my favorite restaurants in Bangkok is the Mango Tree. It's a great place, not too formal and a terrific menu. Everytime I have been there, live traditional Thai music is played.

Favorite Dish: The Chicken Cocconut Soup is to die for. Very spicy, but hey, what food in Thailand isn't?

• Mango tree: Not as good as they advertise!

by samzee Written Jun 16, 2013

I thought the location was pretty obscure...I have fried fish with Chili sauce...totally unaccpetable..I have been in BKK for the last week and I have tried the same food else where and this was the worse..all I could taste was garlic!! I do not recommend this restaurant to anyone!

Favorite Dish: Hmmm see my comments above!!

• MAngo Tree: Always busy but always friendly

by oxford49 Written Feb 17, 2009

Royal Thai cuisine, so something a bit more special than regular Thai restaurants, I have been going to this restaurant each time I visit Bangkok for the past 5 years, since I first found it. Even if I have not been back for 6 months the Maitre D' always remembers my name and makes me feel very welcome. It is not about money, as I usually eat alone, and the restaurant is almost always busy. The standard of food is great - try the crab when it is in season - you will not have tasted anything like it, and the ambience is wonderful. If you do not mind the humidity the garden is so atmospheric. And all the staff are so helpful and friendly - definitely the best restaurant in Bangkok for me, and worth the effort of finding in the first place.
    Try to book a table in advance is possible, and go early evening and then you should get a prime one where you can watch the Issan dancing and music.

Favorite Dish: Anything with crab in it. The crab is so flavoursome, so much different from our own. Ask for a fingerbowl and crackers though, as they do not always come automatically. You need to put in a bit of effort to eat the crab meat but my goodness is it worth it!!

Instant Answers: Bangkok

Comments

Hotels Near Mango Tree
4.5 out of 5 stars