Pratunam, Bangkok

Pratunam

Know about this? Rate It!

by krubkrib
  • Pratunam and Baiyoke Markets: Novotel the best location for shopping this area

by krubkrib Written Nov 21, 2013

This trip was my holiday trip to Thailand. I was excited. Upon reaching BKK airport, I waited for the taxi to pick me up but this take quite a long time so it’s better an airport link next time T_T. This time I stayed in Novotel Bangkok Platinum, first step I went in this hotel I was stunning. I must compliment that service’s really really freaking good.

The best thing about this hotel is the linkage to platinum fashion mall. I notice that this mall was really clouded with many crazy tourist that love shopping. When I took the escalator down I’m already there (Super convenient).

Finally, we went to our room. I love the see through glass wall in the shower that made laugh and I saw my girlfriend naked that night hahaha. Obviously there were blinds but she didn’t know it before I showed her she almost kick my ass haha.

The breakfast there was awesome!!. (Bacon, Noodles, fried rice and Scrambled egg). After breakfast, my girlfriend start went crazy with the shopping mall. We walked for 10 hours and she brought a whole lot of clothing’s but that good that I wasn’t the one who pay for her hah.

Next day after a half day shopping around mid afternoon because our bag were filled with clothes. We went to relaxing at the hotels’ swimming pool. I totally love the view here, and we just found out that we actually can walk to Siam Paragon shopping department store.

The day after I got to work urgently but good luck that here have business center and really helpful staff help me out.

While we waiting for our flight back, we had lunch buffet at the square restaurant. There are so many choices of food and it’s really tasty. I love roasted duck, pizza and sushi. Especially all the dessert is really good too.

I obviously come back here again in the future. Nice view, Nice location, Nice staff, Nice pool. Just nice nice and nice. Thank you Novotel!! you to made my trip unforgettable.

• Luxury Travel

Pratunam and Baiyoke Markets: Petchaburi Road in Pratunam

the view of the road

This tip will be on the Market and Stalls and the Malls and the Nightmarket around the Busy and Trafiic Petchaburi Road in Pratunam. I will have a separate tips of the Platinum Mall, Pantip Plaza and the Night Market, Baiyoke Sky Mall. The Petchaburi Road, the Soi's around it, the alleys around it are hives of activity both for locals and tourists who do a lot of shopping for cheap stuffs.

Petchaburi Road is the Centerpiece of the Busy Pratunam Area and it is here where most of the Big Name Malls offering retailers and wholesalers who offer discounts to bulk buyers and among the big malls in the area are the Platinum Mall, Pantip plaza, City Plaza, Krungthong Plaza, Medtro Plaza Mall plus the assorted alleys and sois around it plus the neverending nioght markets of which the Petchaburi Road has it's own nightmarket! Lots of South East Asians from other countries like Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia buy wholesale here and then sell them at retail prices in their country and make a lot of profit!

What to buy: there are no fix prices on the assorted merchandise that you can buy so haggling is a must even at the stalls inside the Malls. if you buy by the bulk, then they also offer you deep discounts on the items you buy like shirts, clothes, ladies bags, fashion accessories, trinkets, souvenir items, linens and more. watches, low-cost clothes and ladies accessories, handicrafts, fresh tropical fruits. there are hundreds and hundreds of small clothes shops along the small pedestrian lanes and the shopping complexes inside, both wholesale and retail.

What to pay: Fake jeans and shirts cost as little as 100 baht. Export overruns of the real articles like Polo Ralph Lauren, Nautica, Tommy Hilfiger, Abercrombie etc, starts from 300 baht. Ladies bags for souvenirs starts at 90 Baht.

Baiyoke Market and Pratunam: Factory Outlet Shopping at Baiyoke Sky Tower Mall

by machomikemd Updated Oct 12, 2012

Me going to the baiyoke sky tower mall

This shopping tips will be about the mini shopping mall inside the Baiyoke Sky Tower in Pratunam. I will have separate tips of the Pratunam market, Night Market, Pantip Plaza, Platinum Mall.

Baiyoke Sky Tower Boasts of a Small Shopping Mall inside which consists of four levels and with separate entrance from the hotel at the left side and the boundary of the hotel and the mall is the ticket counter selling entrance tickets to the Baiyoke Tower. Lots of South East Asians from other countries like Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia buy wholesale here and then sell them at retail prices in their country and make a lot of profit!

Opens: 10:00 am to 7:00 pm everyday (the stalls)

What to buy: This is one of the cheapest mall for buying clothes, fabrics and textiles in central Bangkok (sepending on your haggling skills), while the Chatuchak weekend market probably is the low price leader and Bobae is famous for Russian and Slavic Tourist buyers. Other merchandise include watches, handicraft and others.

I love to buy "Pasalubong" (souvenirs) to my relatives in the Philippines and the states and I discovered a really cheap stall to buy stylish bags for the ladies. the name of the stall is HUNG HENG PANICH and it is located at 222/223, 1rst floor Bai Yoke Tower 2, Pratunam Bangkok 10400. Tel No is: 02-656-3721. their email is jirainternational@gmail.com

• Hiking and Walking

Pratunam and Baiyoke Markets: The Market Around Baiyoke

night market

This tip will be on the Market and Stalls and the Nightmarket around the Baiyoke area of Pratunam. I will have a separate tips of the Platinum Mall, Pantip Plaza and the Night Market in front of Petchaburi Road. The Market around the Baiyoke Hotel, Baiyoke Sky Tower and the alleys around it are hives of activity both for locals and tourists who do a lot of shopping for cheap stuffs.

Pratunam Market is one of Bangkok's major markets, focusing on clothes which makes it Thailand's largest clothing market after Bobae. The name Pratunam means Water gate. Lots of South East Asians from other countries like Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia buy wholesale here and then sell them at retail prices in their country and make a lot of profit!

The market is open 24 hours a day, the retail shops are open, later on the evening outdoor stalls mainly geared for tourists come to populate the street sides from the Baiyoke Area, Indira Regent Area up to the Front of Platinum Mall and Pantip Plaza and even the busy side streets and alleys around. It's located at the intersection of Ratchaprarop and Phetburi roads in the district Ratchathewi. This is the cheapest market for buying clothes, fabrics and textiles in central Bangkok, while the Chatuchak weekend market probably is the low price leader and Bobae is famous for Russian and Slavic Tourist buyers. Other merchandise include watches, handicraft and others.

What to buy: Buying Streetfoods is very popular there and very cheap! Not all Thai Foods are Spicy (see my pictures). watches, low-cost clothes and ladies accessories, handicrafts, fresh tropical fruits. there are hundreds and hundreds of small clothes shops along the small pedestrian lanes and the shopping complexes inside, both wholesale and retail.

• jackph's Profile Photo

Pratunam and Baiyoke Markets: This is Wholesale Heaven

by jackph Written Mar 10, 2012

If you find a collared shirt and you want it in all possible colors, or a pair of pants and you want 20 pairs, this is the place to go to. Wholesale it is, by the dozens. And you learn why wholesale is cheaper than retail

What to buy: Shirts, lots of them

• theguardianangel's Profile Photo

Pratunam and Baiyoke Markets: bargains

by theguardianangel Updated Nov 10, 2011

The Pratunam market: Here you can buy souvenirs like shirts, keychains, bags, clothes and many more, usually imprinted with elephant images. I bought a Thailand t-shirt w/ an elephant imprinted on it for only 85Baht (I pleaded the vendor if she can give me discount since i'm buying a lot anyway), my request was granted so I bought 12 pcs! Keychains are only 100Baht for 10pcs. There are lots of shops, boutiques selling clothes at a low price. One of the shops here is where I bought my father’s pants. Actually, Thai’s pants especially for men are small in size… their largest size is 30 and my dad’s waist is 34! I bought it anyway and I don’t know how the pants fit my dad’s waist after buying that… haha. Also, aside from clothes, there are also flower shops and food stalls that are found here.

We got tired in looking for more things to bring home without realizing it's getting dark already but it’s only 430pm so I asked one of the sales lady why close early, she said when the war began between the yellow and the red shirts; they close their shops early to prevent chaos. Thank God that within the days of our stay in Bangkok, nothing happened between the 2 contradicting parties.

What to buy: souvenirs like shirts, keychains, bags, clothes, flowers, gift items, bags, etc.

What to pay: Pay in Baht the amount usually depends how you spend your money in shopping.
    Credit cards aren't accepted here, but there are ATMs around where you can withdraw cash.

• anne_vdns's Profile Photo

Pratunam Market: The Pratunam Market

by anne_vdns Updated Apr 4, 2011

Thai elephant in fashion

A walking distance away from the Erawan Shrine. Tita Lu, our official shopping guide brought us here on our first morning at Bangkok. It's literary a market. The place is dark & the vendors have a hard time communicating in english. This place offers a wide variety of clothes & personal effects. You can buy things in wholesale provided you buy in 6 or more. On our way there, there are street vendors, and I was able to buy a very nice white blouse with a ribbon belt for only 200 Bhat.

What to buy: scarf in thai silk
    shawl in thai silk
    pleated skirts (i love these!)
    blouses
    souvenir shirts
    cargo pants for men
    socks
    elephant pillow
    cotton pants

What to pay: scarf in thai silk - 50 Bhat (wholesale)
    shawl in thai silk - 80 Bhat (wholesale)
    pleated skirts - 100 Bhat (wholesale)
    blouses - 150 to 400 Bhat
    cotton pants - 100 Bhat

• vpas's Profile Photo

Pratunam and Baiyoke Markets: low end shopping

by vpas Written Jan 18, 2011

rows of shops selling clothes,accessories,footwear etc.
    there is a food court in the topmost floor

What to buy: footwear,jeans,other clothes for men,women and children,accessories etc.

What to pay: bargain a lot!prices are reduced if you buy more than one piece.

• walterwu's Profile Photo

Pratunam and Baiyoke Markets: Shopping Alleys

by walterwu Written Jan 4, 2011

Pratunam Market is sandwiched between Indra Shopping Mall and Platinum Shopping Mall.

Pratunam Market is, essentially, a alley kind of shopping and the alleys are very narrow. We only chance upon the Pratunam Market when our taxi pass by the market on our way to BaiYoke Sky.

There weren't many people in the market when we were there about 3:30pm to 4:00pm.

Prices should be cheaper then that of the air-conditioned Platinum Shopping Mall, next to it. It would be advisable to negotiate for a much better price then what is offered.

What to buy: More Lucky - Durian Montong. Love the taste and no smell escapes from vacuum packaging.

What to pay: Fixed Price foodstuff shop.

• georeiser's Profile Photo

Pratunam and Baiyoke Markets: Pratunam Market

by georeiser Updated May 5, 2010

Pratunam Market

Pratunam Market in Bangkok is hole block of bargaining. It contains 3 shopping centres, Bai Yoke, Indra Square and City Complex. And a lot of other small shops are outside the and between the complexes.

Pratunam Market is easy to find because it's near the 309 meters tall Baiyoke Tower, the tallest building in Thailand. The building houses Baiyoke Sky Hotel, one of the world's tallest hotels.

What to buy: In the complex of Bai Yoke you can buy Garments. In the complex of Indra Square you can buy fashion clothing, silk, jewelry, crafts and accessories. In the complex of City Complex you can buy clothing. Outside the and between the complexes you can buy everything.

• kensu's Profile Photo

Pratunam and Baiyoke Markets: market shopping

by kensu Updated Feb 8, 2010

I personally would say the Pratnum area both indoor arcade and outdoor markets are more on a par with chattuchak that the stores within the malls. Just be prepared to bargain and remember that the more items you buy, the better the price.

What to buy: Golf shirts, handbags, mens sandals. My husband does all his wradrobe replenishing in Bangkok.

• santeria01's Profile Photo

Pratunam and Baiyoke Markets: super cheap but quality goods!

by santeria01 Written Apr 3, 2009

It's like a flea market -- where stalls appear like mushrooms at a specific time of the day (twice a day in fact). We resolved to shop on the last day of our trip and it was a blast! After having our breakfast at the hotel, we just went down and outside our hotel there we saw the stalls of lots of clothes. :-)

I got my goods at bargained prices (wow I must be getting good at it), and was even able to buy for my mom and my sister.

Some vendors are rude though. I just noticed that vendors get easily irritated when we start haggling then we walk out. I was under a game plan that they will lower their prices when we pretend or really walk out. But some of them gets irritated and would just not allow us to haggle anymore. their attitude is like "i don't care if you buy or not, just go away". Maybe i'm just having a point of comparison here (between sellers in Manila, Hong Kong and Bangkok), or maybe it was just cultural difference.. oh well.

What to buy: Well. I loaded my baggage with lots of tamarind. :-) I was able to get 7 small packs for 100 baht at a Filipino travel agency/store behind the Baiyoke Suite. I bought like around 400 baht of tamarind! :-)

• newglobalnomad's Profile Photo

Shopping in Bangkok at a glance

by newglobalnomad Written Feb 11, 2009

For shopping, Siam Paragon would be a good place for some upmarket shopping and even the surrounding malls will also serve as a great shopping destinations. Be sure to visit Siam Square for their alleys of unique thai fashion designs.

Pratunam - the wholesale market will serve as a cheaper alternative for inexpensive buys in which apparels and fashion accessories form the majority of the selection. Platinum mall is also a must-visit for shopaholics. Bargainning is a must and as it's a wholesale environment, usually buying in a qty of 3 will garner a better price.

Chatuchuk, a weekend market like no other, is a massive shopping haven. Lined with countless small stalls, products ranges from clothes, accessories, home decorations, food to even pets! Do arrive early as most stalls will close at 6pm. Wear light clothings as the narrow alleys can get really crowded and ventilation is kinda bad too. Doesn't help when it's almost always hot and sunny in bkk as well.

• Women's Travel

• kenningst's Profile Photo

Pratunam and Baiyoke Markets: Pratunam Market

by kenningst Written Sep 20, 2008

Similar to all the roadside stalls all around Bangkok, Pratunum Market comes with no surprise. The only diferrence is that there is a high concentration of low end stalls selling all sort of stuffs in one small vacinity. More like the mini version of Chatuchak market but with less variety.

• ancient_traveler's Profile Photo

PRATUNAM

by ancient_traveler Updated Jun 21, 2008

a huge altar of prayer inside Pratunam market

Pratunam boast a number of malls and tons of street stalls with great deals on clothes and shoes.

What to buy: a sea of stalls selling everything from vibrant handbags, sunglasses and hand-made jewellery to beachwear and affordable souvenirs for the whole family

• Women's Travel