Tai Chi, Bangkok

Know about this? Rate It!

• alvis's Profile Photo

Skatin' it up

by alvis Written Sep 30, 2005

There are plenty of places to skate in Bangkok if you keep your eyes open. I know of a skate park near Ekkamai which I've never been to but is meant to be great on a Saturday. I would normally go to Queens Park at the Phrom Pong BTS station there are no ramps here but are a few slides etc to play about on. Also plenty more to do in the park from Basketball to Tai Chi.

• T'ai Chi in the park

by googoosh Updated May 12, 2004

If you're into tai chi, or the martial arts in general, or you fancy watching it, go to Lumpini Park from 6:15am every morning. In the park thousands of people, mostly Chinese, gather to do their daily exercise - anyone can join in and its free.

At the main entrance to the park you'll see several hundered people doing areobics

For the tai chi go past these people and head towards the centre of the park. There you'll find all sorts of martial arts happening and various types of tai chi taking place. Watching groups of people practicing with swords and fans in public is wonderful. I hadn't realised just how loud fifty fans opening at the same time would be - it's just like firecrackers going off.

I found a group I felt happy with - they were doing a yang style similar to the type I practice at home. As a westerner I was greeted with enthusiasm and interest by the locals and encouraged to join in. The master had been taking classes daily for the past 50 years and as a consequence was quite awe inspiring. The group I joined wanted to know how I'd learnt Tai Chi, what type I practiced and how I came to know about the way.

I didn't see many Europeans practicing in the park (I counted two others, both men). One of the problems being I think, the time difference. Because of the jet lag I was setting the alarm clock for 1:30am body clock time, which wasn't much fun.

Having said that, the whole experience of doing tai chi, on the grass, in the park with hundreds of other people left me feeling good about life again.

Throughly recommended - this has to be one of the highlights of life itself.

bamboo, from 'the nature of chinese character'

Instant Answers: Bangkok