Cooking Classes, Bangkok

• ozpaul's Profile Photo

Take a Cooking School

by ozpaul Written Apr 15, 2012

Produce at the Market

I decided that I really needed to extend my Thai Cooking skills. I did a two day course - two half days - at the Silom Thai Cooking School. They meet you in the morning - then you go on a tour of the local market to buy produce - then you go back to the school where you cook the most amazing things. They also teach you a great deal about the ingredients that you will be using.

• Gay and Lesbian

• ishi01's Profile Photo

Cooking Class

by ishi01 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Chef Lee

For many, cooking is the last thing to do on a vacation. True that. But if you have been to a place as many times as I have been to Bangkok and pretty much knows it like the back of your hand, its time to dig deeper. And whats better than getting to know the people through their food. I signed up for a half day cooking class at the Ma-sa-man cooking school near Khao San area during the recent visit. Chef Lee and Jud ( a previous student from Canada) were very friendly and genuine. Chef Lee pretty much tells it how it is. She doesnt hold back anything. She admits to thai food being simple to cook. We started the day at 9 am with a quick visit to the market to pick up the ingredients and then back to the shop. Unlike some other school the place is small and only have 3 stoves. I think thats a plus because you have the choice of being hands on or holding back and just take notes. As I cook often at home, I dont have the pressing need to insist on stir frying everything myself. I am quite happy with observing and asking the questions and comparing the ongoings with what i do at home.

• Micgwit's Profile Photo

One on One Thai Cooking Lesson

by Micgwit Written Mar 22, 2011

Hello, I have just returned from my cooking class with the lovely and charming Angsana.
    We started out by meeting up near 'On Nut' BTS and then on to the local market there to buy our ingredients. Angsana explained what some of the more unusal items in market were as well as poining out how to buy the best ingredients at the market; for example how a Pappaya should look and feel to make the best Pappaya salad.

Following our shopping trip it was straight back to Angsana's home to commence our cooking. Here we first met and greeted Angsana's Husband Christopher and her beautiful daughter Victoria. Then into the kitchen for some chopping, cleaning, Mortar and Pestle grinding and other forms of preparing our ingredients before the actual cooking.
    It was all great fun and I did pick up quite a few good tips whilst we were cooking. I cook Thai food every week back in France where I live but I took this course to try out new dishes and to see if I could make one of my staple favourites, Gaeng Ga Rii Gai, (yellow chicken curry), taste more authentic than it does in my kitchen. Guess what? Success! I now know exactly where I was going wrong. My other 2 dishes were as I said new to me and they turned out to be very, very tasty, (Aroy Dee Mak).

aftyer completing all the cooking and tasting Angsana packed all my efforts up securely for me so I could take them back to our apartment to eat for our dinner tonight.

I think Angsana' cooking class is extremeley good value for money. This cooking lesson is a one on one course, it included the visit to the market, the cost of all the ingredients, a couple of taxi rides, Angsana's attentive time, use of her kitchen and home, and packaging of the finished items along with copies of the recipes, so I can ensure I follow everything carefully back home, and best of all....I don't have to fork out anymore money for tonights dinner.

If you love Thai food and want to try to cook it yourself then this is the course for you. This is not just you in some group of others in a large commercialised kitchen, this is cooking in a real Thai home with a real Thai cook.

Thank you again Angsana for a brilliant lesson.

• Eco-Tourism

• xymmot's Profile Photo

Thai Cusine

by xymmot Written Jan 31, 2011

Here is a Thai cooking classes highly recommended, plus you eat everything you cook. It's a lot of fun. here is the info::::

Baipai Thai cooking school. It was a magnificent day of hands on learning, which included 4 wonderful Thai meals.
    Address: 150/12 Soi Naksuwan, Nonsee Road, Bangkok, Thailand
    Phone Number: 662-294-9029

• crawdad1's Profile Photo

Bangkok Thai Cooking Academy

by crawdad1 Written Dec 30, 2010

Cooking Thai

Since I was in town visiting, I was contacted by a newspaper editor about writing an article on Thai cooking. Did you know that Thai cooking is the world's most popular "foreign" or ethnic food? There is nothing boring about eating Thai foods. I went online and found this cooking school. The teacher/chef was an English-speaking Thai by the name of Ja. The school was centrally located and very affordable at only 1,250 baht/person for a 4-hour class. During the class, we prepared 5 different meals in Thai traditional cookers and woks. Class began at the Klong Toei produce and seafood market. The teacher said that all good Thai cooking starts with a visit to the market where fresh ingredients are purchased. During the market tour, Ja showed us about making coconut milk, how to select peppers, and educated us about the various kinds of herbs, spices, seasonings, vegetables, fruits and seafoods. Wow, what a great sight and smell at this market. After this tour, off to the school we went. Here we had class in a quaint Thai home. At the school, we learned how to make curry pastes, sticky rice, and various Thai meals. Using the Thai cookers and coconut utensils was fun and educational. I learned that it takes longer to buy and prepare the ingredients than it does to actually cook a Thai meal! During the class, we learned that Thai cooking is very forgiving. There is no "one" way to cook a meal; instead, it is really "up to you." The other students in the class were fun to meet. Together we had a good time, one which none of us will ever forget. If you would like to read my article written about this school, just follow this link:
    http://retirenowabroad.com/?p=496 When in Bangkok, I highly recommend visiting a Thai cooking school. Learning how to cook Thai is a lifetime gift, one which can even be used to impress your friends. Enjoy

• Delightful Private Cooking Class in Bangkok

by michellepak Written Aug 23, 2009

We spent an afternoon at this Thai home with Angsana, the cooking teacher and it was just wonderful. The cooking lesson came complete with a recipe booklet, included the dishes we chose to cook, was very detailed, and we had the opportunity to ask as many questions as we had wanted about the recipes. Angsana was not only an amazing teacher but she was extremely warm hearted and personable. There's no need to worry about communciation barriers as her English was fluent (she lived in the US for some time). If I were to return to Bangkok, I would definitely take her class again. Top value for money plus her family is super cute.

• mjleicht's Profile Photo

Private Class with Angsana and Bum - Bangkok

by mjleicht Written Apr 14, 2008

Katherine and Bum

One of a kind Thai Cooking Class that is a must if you are seeking authenticity in the home of Angsana and her wonderful husband and friend Bum. Angsana turned over her summer kitchen to Bum (see photo of Bum) a delightful and extraudinarily talented teacher and cook while Angsana watched over her new addition to the family, visiting regularily with the ever-present hospitality unmatched anywhere in the world, and we have seen plenty of the world and this was truely one of the most memorable 5-hours we've experienced. Not to be missed!
    While stopping in Bangkok (6th return visit) for several days, shaking off the 18 hour journey form San Diego, we found the 1st part of the adventure started with a Skytrain ride from in the Patpong District at 8:00am to On Nut station approximately 30KM (new elevated train that is simply state of the art with many helpful riders to help when directions fall apart) away. We anticipated this could have taken up to 1-hour, but we were met at the Tesco Lotus shopping center 35-minutes latter! A brief 1/2 mile walk and we were at Angsana home and ready to rollup our sleeves!
    We had requested 3-dishes; Panang Curry. Gaprao Gai (stir-fride chicken with chile and basil and Steamed Sea Bass in Chile and Lime sauce . . . two words, simply incredible. My wife Katheine and I chopped and stirred our little hearts out with encouragment from the entire family. We sat at the family dinner talble and stuffed ourselve between each meal.
    While we have joined more structured cooking classes in Phuket (5-star) on several differenct occassions, this class far surpassed our expectations and would without any reservations highly recommend Angsana - Cooking Class.
    Further to the recommendation . . . while we induldged in all the wonderful restaurants in Bangkok and Phuket, we found ourselves constantly comparing the meals we made with Bum and Angsana to be far superior to any we found in our 3-weeks of travel, we kid you not. So often we find structured cookng schools to be fast paced and without the "secrets" that make the Thai cusine so unique and memorable, this Angsana's class provided . . . some surprising simple yet not ever mentioned in cook books and or cooking classes.
    If your in Bangkok, make this a must-do.

• Study Abroad

• Restless-in-kl's Profile Photo

Blue Elephant Culinary School

by Restless-in-kl Updated Nov 12, 2007

chef in action

I've always loved Thai food and on my recent holiday to Bangkok, this was an opportunity for me to take Thai cooking classes so that I can have Thai food anywhere.

My friend Owen took me to dinner at Blue Elephant Royal Thai Cuisine and I was delighted to discover that they run cooking classes.

These classes are really popular as I found out, especially the morning classes which include a guided visit to the market. Highly recommend that you book in advance. Though I had the afternoon class which included a extra dessert to learn, they allowed me to tag along for the market visit as well. Bottled water is provided and we took the BTS station to the market which is next to Shangri-La Hotel by the river.

Though the morning class includes a market visit and the afternoon class doesn't, I preferred the afternoon class as there are less people and I get personalised service.

For a glimpse on my day out with Blue Elephant Culinary School and the dishes I learnt to cook, go to the travelogue. Price per class is Baht 2800.

• A great cooking experience

by soomster Written Nov 5, 2007

My friend and I wanted to take a thai cooking class while in Bangkok and checked out the famous Bai Pai and Blue Elephant websites. Although the courses looked amazing, we felt that the experience would be limited by the time schedule and the set menus. Then we read several reviews about Angsana Andersson' s private thai cooking class in her home.

It was a great experience from start to finish! First, Angsana is fluent in English and lovely to chat with about Thailand and its customs. Second, we got to go to the shopping center with her and pick out the ingredients with her, seeing firsthand what the ingredients looked like. Third, the cooking experience itself was fun, filled with laughter, and we went at our own pace, never hurried. And, we got to choose our own menu from the numerous choices she offers on her website, http://www.thaihomecooking.com. She charges 2000baht per person, but I thought the experience was priceless!

I would highly recommend the Angsana's class to anyone looking for fun, insight into Thai life, and delicious food!

Oh, and Angsana is Thai and her last name is her married name.

• Excellent Cooking Classes in Bangkok

by Fleetz Written Jul 4, 2007

Angsana my teacher and owner of Thai Home Cooking

I had the pleasure of attending Angsana's cooking class in her home in Bangkok. What a pleasant and rewarding experience it was, so much so I did another class with her a few days later!

Angsana offers a different cooking class experience as you are able to select the dishes you want to do rather than a structured menu as most offer. You also a have a unique experience of doing all the cooking in a Thai home. The knowledge and experience Angsana has gained in Thai cooking stems from her cooking with her mother and grandmother, truly Thai home cooking. I requested a dish that is a favourite from our Thai restaurant back home Angsana wasn't aware of it however her mother was. Angsana then cooked the dish the day before I had the class, then prepared the professional handout recipe and taught the dish flawlessly on the day of my class....WOW!!

Angsana has excellent English, teaching skills and great sense of humour making her class not only a great way to learn home style Thai cooking but a truly enjoyable experience too! Very much a hands class Angsana makes sure you get your hands dirty doing the preparation and cooking of each dish. During the class many questions and answers were provided along with loads of suggestions.

You prepare and cook your selected dishes with her professionally prepared and presented recipes which are yours to keep so you can repeat the selected dishes for your family and friends back home. At the end of cooking each dish you sit down and get to eat dishes you cooked...... be warned do not eat breakfast!

I have tried a number Thai cooking classes in Thailand and I can highly recommend Angsana's Thai Home Cooking as one of the best!

Angsana has a website www.thaihomecooking.com and is conveniently located just off Sukhumvit Soi (Street) get there by BTS sky train or as I did by meter taxi for just 45 baht. Her email is angsana@thaihomecooking.com and can be contacted on 08 1455 5808. I am sure you will enjoy the experience!

• Wonderful Cooking Class in Bangkok

by CoffeeFiend Updated Apr 29, 2007

My husband and I and and our two boys spent our last day before we left Bangkok this April learning to cook our favorite Thai dishes at the home of a gourmet cook. Angsana Andersson (yes, she's Thai but is married to a Swede) is sweet, smart, and a wonderful teacher. Because we wanted to not only understand what to shop for but also to bring back a few hard-to-find items, she met us at a shopping center and helped us shop. We then jumped in her car and traveled to her home, where we spent several hours cooking. Her fee of 1000 Baht per person (perhaps a tad more for one or two people) included four dishes (actually eight because we paired up and had a competition), all the ingredients, and pictured recipe cards to take with us. There are more formal schools where you get a certificate and so on, but I was very interested in having the experience of being in a Thai person's home and being able to ask a lot of questions about the food and culture. We had a delightful time, the food was the best we had in Thailand (Angsana's family has a rich tradition in cooking). I cannot recommend Angsana highly enough. Do yourself a favor and contact her! You will really love the experience. Angsana is located near the Sky Train in the Sukhumvit area. Her e-mail address is angsana@thaihomecooking.com, her website is www.thaihomecooking.com, and her number is 0-1455-5808. Enjoy!

• alvis's Profile Photo

Thai Cooking Schools

by alvis Written Jan 20, 2006

Preparing the ingredients - Green Papaya

The most famous (and probably the best) Thai cooking school in Bangkok is the "Blue Elephant" beside the Surasak BTS station. The only problem with this shool is that it costs 2800 baht (?45) per person for a basic days cooking class.

As I was on a budget I chose to find a cheaper school and came across the "Thai House Two Restaurant" on Sukhumvit Soi 5 (2 min walk from the Nana BTS). The price for this class was 1000 baht (?15) per person for a basic days class.

The start of the class taught us the main ingredients used in Thai cooking. The next part of class involved the preparation of the ingredients. Then we go to the kitchen where each student prepares 2 meals each. I made the green papaya salad and a chicken with holy basil and the girlfriend made a sweet and sour chicken and a chicken coconut soup. We each cook in front of the class so we can watch the others prepare their meals. After cooking we sit down in the restaurant and eat the meals cooked. After getting a recipe book and a certificate they will take you downstairs to "Foodland Supermarket" and show where you can find all the ingredients.

Was well worth the money not only we got our certificate and recipe books but also got a bloody good feed and a good laugh with the friendly staff.

Instant Answers: Bangkok