This lovely churches faces right onto the river in the far south of Samphanthawong district in Bangkok. The Portuguese built Holy Rosary Church in 1786 with a land grant from King Rama I, four years after Bangkok was established as the capital. The present cream-colored structure was built from 1891-98 and has a high facade topped with a towering spire; a statue of Virgin Mary stands above the high arches framing the main entrance, leading to tall arched doors.
Holy Rosary Church – the Portuguese Church of Calvary in Bangkok
Name: Holy Rosary
Attraction Type: Church
Close to: Chao Phraya
First Photo: View to Holy Rosary Church
Second Photo: Holy Rosary Church
Third Photo: Holy Rosary Church
This is a Gothic Church that was built by Portugese settlers. The Temple was named after Kalawario, the mountain where Jesus was allegedly cruxified. The King granted the land for it to be built in 1786. There are stained windows depicting the Old and New Testaments, and the architecture is of the Neo- Gothic style. Its situated in the Chinese area of the city.
It was built in 1787 and given by Rama 1 to the Portughese in recognition of their assistance on the defence of Ayutthaya against the Burmese. It was restored in 1957 and the church received the Well Preserved Historical Bulding Award from the association of Siamese Architects in 1982.
This church built by catholic Chineses who moved their community from Kudijeen,Thonburi. The first church was built in 2329 B.E. but it was damaged and the present one is the third construction where built in 2434 B.E. in King Rama V 's reign. It was built in Gothic style with a shrap spire together with sharp curve in all curves. Inside,all windows decorated with strainglass.
One of the very few Catholic Churches and this one in particular is one of the oldest.
You enter the church passing a schoolyard and because of that fact you can't always get there cause the gate is closed when the children are having class.