Khlongs - Canals, Bangkok

Damnoen Saduak Klongs

by machomikemd Written Oct 31, 2013

like what i've said, this will be my pictures and tip on the Damnoen Sadauk Klongs as compared to Bangkok Klongs. Although waking up early and leaving at 7:00 am for the Damnoen Saduak Floating Market tour is a hassle for late risers, going to the floating market and riding the long tail boat to see the various klongs around Damnoen Saduak Town going to the Floating Market is a more authentic experience than the Bangkok Klongs Tour. So it is better to book the damnoen saduak floating market tour and combine it with the rose garden and elephant shows, rather than take the bangkok klongs tour.

• Architecture
    • Cruise

Not Really Spectacular Bangkok Klongs

by machomikemd Written Oct 31, 2013

If you book a bangkok klongs and wat arun tour, you will be mesmerized by the beauty of Wat Arun and will be disappointed with the Bangkok Klongs, as the klongs here in bangkok are not as colorful and not as authentic as the klongs lining the Damnoen Saduak Floating Market. I will add a comparison picture and tip of the bangkok klongs here and the Damnoen Saduak Klongs and you can see for yourself the disappointing nature of Bangkok's Klongs as compared to Danmoen Saduak Klongs in Ratchaburi Province. It is better for you to book the Damnoen Saduak Tour to experience the real klongs of thailand.

• Cruise
    • Architecture

Fish Feeding at the Klongs

by machomikemd Updated Oct 5, 2013

while doing a Bangkok Canal and Klong Tour, you will start at the River City Pier in front of River City Mall near Sapang Taksin BTS Skytrain Station and among the activities you will do is visit one of the mini floating markets in Bangkok and the Klongs around Bangkok City and Chonburi Province and you can do catfish feeding at the Chinese Buddhist Temple there fronting the Klong as The Thais don't catch the fish living near temples and also in front of the Wat Arun Temple (see my videos) as your friendly tour guide will sell you 1 plastic full of day old bread (at 20 baht per bag) to feed the catfish and these catfish are large!

• Rinjani's Profile Photo

Canal Tour

by Rinjani Written Jun 10, 2012
    Canal view during Chao Praya River Trip

We used LSH travel service located in the Thaksin BTS station to explore the canal. With fee of THB 1200/person, the tour took us to the canal, with stop at Wat Arun Temple and Grand Palace. As an extra, Sam or Adhiksa (his real name), a very friendly and informative guide, took us to the traditional market to taste local Thai snacks.

The canal view is interesting. We passed people’s house. Some of the houses are big, with spacious garden, some are traditional wooden houses and some looked like slum. The river is generally clean, you can spot big fishes near the temple. We also spotted a big lizard in the river bank.

People carry on their daily activities, as it seems normal that tourists passing by in front of their houses and took pictures. We also found number of sellers offering snacks in the boat.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Boat Trip

by solopes Updated Apr 10, 2012

Bangkok - Thailand

The river plays a fundamental role in Bangkok's life, impossible to appreciate from the banks.

You have to move a while in the water, either joining a trip in the Chao river, or hiring a river taxi, if you know where to go.

The floating market is a good place that you can visit by boat, as we did.

• roamer61's Profile Photo

Klongs-Thonburi

by roamer61 Written May 8, 2008

The Canals or Klongs as the are called, meander through the older part of the city. It was here that the city of Bangkok was originally founded in the late 18th century. Once called the Venice of the East, the klongs can best be explored by hiring one of the many longboats the ply the river and its waterways. Along the klongs, you will see stilt houses, children playing in the water and even some wildlife like I did. These boats can be hired at one of many stops along the Chao Phraya River.

• PierreZA's Profile Photo

River & Canal Trip

by PierreZA Written Mar 29, 2008

Canals of Bangkok

Well worth the 1000. Baht. The trip starts on the river and then on the canals for about an hour. We then transferred to a barge – and continued the trip. One gets very good idea of waterside living in Bangkok. The trip on the barge included a meal of different fruit, especially those from Thailand.

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

Klongs

by smirnofforiginal Written Oct 17, 2007

You can hire a narrow boat to take you around the Klongs (canals) of Bangkok and you can arrange stops, such as a stop at Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn), should you wish.

A trip around the klongs is the best way to see the Thai way of life. You will see women washing clothes, children splashing about in the water etc... simple things but also you will see poverty.

Negotiate the cost before you climb aboard. You can pick up one of these boats from by the Oriental Hotel.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

A longtail boat tour of Bangkok's canals

by SWFC_Fan Written Oct 8, 2007

My chosen longtail boat...after dropping me off!

I hired a longtail boat for a 1 hour tour of Bangkok’s canals on my first day in the city during a visit in September 2007.

I had been told to avoid hiring a boat from the main touristy piers, as I’d likely be charged 2000 or 3000 Bahts, so instead a local man took me to a small wooden dock next to Rachini pier, where I haggled an elderly lady down from 1200 Bahts to 1000 Bahts (approx. 15 GBP). Maybe I was still overcharged – but it was a great trip, and good value for money in my opinion!

I clambered along a rickety wooden platform and managed to get onboard my chosen boat without falling into the river. An hour later I was dropped off at Tha Tien pier, where I was charged 20 Bahts for landing there!

The trip gave me a fascinating insight in to how people live in the canalside neighbourhoods of Bangkok. I passed countless simple wooden homes, some on stilts to keep them above water level, others with flooded backyards, many with washing hanging outside.

I saw children swimming and bathing in the water, despite its polluted, brown appearance, with litter floating by and giant lizards swimming alongside them. Some children were even jumping into the water from bridges. I kept my mouth closed for much of the trip, fearful of swallowing any of the water that splashed up into the boat.

A local lady, wearing a straw hat, paddled up to my boat in a small canoe, selling wooden trinkets and cold drinks. She suggested that I buy a beer for my driver. I figured it would be better to leave him a tip, so he could enjoy a beer when he wasn’t responsible for navigating me through Bangkok’s waterways!

The driver gave me half a loaf of bread to throw to the fish. As I did so, hundreds of large fish gathered around the boat, causing enough commotion to rock the boat.

As we emerged from the canal back onto the Chao Phraya river, there was a great view of the Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew on one riverbank and Wat Arun on the other.

A great way to see Bangkok from the water! Very highly recommended!

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Khlong and River Trip - Do it in a Longtail Boat

by thedouglas Updated Jul 20, 2007

Longtail Boats are a fast, sometime exciting way of getting around the Chao Phraya river. You can hire one for your own ride through the khlongs, and get up close to the riverside housing off the main straight of the river. The small floating stores never miss an opportunity to get a few tourist Baht, and add to the interest of the ride. The juxtaposition of the variable housing - much of it very basic - and the opulent highrises alongside and behind them, makes it all the more interesting. There is also the reality that many of the locals actually bathe in this dirty river.

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Khlong Markets - Thewes

by thedouglas Updated Jun 8, 2007

If this isn't enough to make you hungry!!!

I love this market! We catch the ferry at Ratchawongse and travel to Tha Thewes pier - walk through really pretty flower/plant markets, and along to this khlong market. Most amazing sights - smells - sounds etc. Just great!

These giant bowls of chilli always get me in - when we pay so much for something much less fresh and appealing at home! What a great way to live - go to the market and buy FRESH all the ingredients for your daily meals! Thai curry every day for us!!

• jerjc99's Profile Photo

Take a Canal Boat just for the Experience

by jerjc99 Updated Apr 15, 2007

Canal (khlong) transport is the chosen method of getting to work and back home for some 60,000 thousand Thais. They don't take the boat for fun but do so because it is a very efficient, inexpensive and fast way to commute. But for tourists, taking a commuter canal boat can not only be a great way to get from A to B, it can also be great fun. Don't be put off by reviewers who say it is too dangerous. Sure, the water is filthy and the boats come into and leave the piers at quite a lick, so it's not suitable if you are carrying luggage or you are unsteady on your feet. But if you keep your wits about you it's safe enough, and well-worth the effort. You will see a side of Bangkok not possible by any other means of transport.
    The main artery of the inner city commuter canal system is called Klong Saen Saap and runs from The Golden Mount (Poo Cow Tong) all the way to Bangkapi, a distance of some 18 kilometres. There are 23 stops on the route, many of them at road bridges. So if, for example you are staying in Cow Saan Rd, and you want to go to Jim Thomson's House get on the boat at Golden Mount and get off at Charoen Phon; if you want to do some shopping or catch a movie get off at Hua Chang (near Siam Bridge) and take a short stroll to some of the city's main shopping malls such as MBK, Paragon or Siam Centre. If you want to get to Sukhumvit Rd stay on the boat for another couple of stops; if you want to go to the Eastern Bus Station (Ekamai) ask the ticketman or a fellow passenger to tell you when you get to Prasan Mit, etc.
    On your way you will sometimes see people swimming (believe it or not!), you will see into the shacks of the khlong people, some will wave to you, while others will go quietly about their chores, washing clothes, cooking, watching TV, feeding their children.
    Be warned: The service starts quite early in the morning but shuts down at 8pm.

• zoe_girl18's Profile Photo

A relaxing cruise at the Chao Phraya River

by zoe_girl18 Updated Mar 11, 2007

after our tour to Ayutthaya, we took the cruise at the Chao Phraya River back to the city. The cruise took around 1 1/2 hours. We chose the Shangrila cruise boat which inclued a buffet lunch. I really enjoyed this part of our tour because the food was really great. =)

• pmarshuk's Profile Photo

Down the Khlongs

by pmarshuk Updated Mar 1, 2007

Take a trip in a longtail boat along the Klongs. Our trip covered some of the northern Khlongs so we did not see the floating market, but we did see the royal barge museum.
    Here you get away from the hectic pace of the Bangkok raods and see another side of living here. The houses range from small huts on stilits where the residents use the khlong for bathing and washing, to large luxery canalside mansions
    We set out from the Taksin bridge and paid 2000 baht for 4 of us in a boat. Got the impression that 2000 was the price you pay regardless of party size

• pmarshuk's Profile Photo

Another Khlong

by pmarshuk Updated Mar 1, 2007

The khlongs we travelled along were very peaceful, we only saw about 4 or 5 other tourist boats during the whole trip. Even when you are going past the houses and people are down in the water it still seems a whole world away from the bustle on the street.
    However I was somewhat concerned about the wave created by the boat as it seemed to hit the banks of the khlong and the houses over the water quite strongly

Instant Answers: Bangkok