Patpong Night Market, Bangkok

Silom and Surawong Roads,

• CliffClaven's Profile Photo

Patpong for prudes

by CliffClaven Written Aug 24, 2002

It may be odd to put Patpong in the 'must see' category, but the parallel Patpong streets are no longer solely the haunt of go-go bars and sex shows. In the evening the streets become a lively night market, selling all kinds of imitation and counterfeit goods. There is a small but well-stocked bookshop, selling novels, guidebooks and histories of the region. There are even a couple of quite respectable bars where you can sit and read your new purchases, without some feline creature whispering in your ear.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

Go to PATPONG at night. ...

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

Go to PATPONG at night.

It took us 15 minutes to walk from the Grand Hyatt Hotel to Patpong. You can find lots of fake stuffs here ....

I can just imagine Monsieur Armani, Klein, Lauren et al panicking right now when they read this. Anyhow, I'm sure you get my point. The fakes here are really good!

Remember to BARGAIN with the street vendors before handing over your cash. Be brave and slash their opening price by 70% and work your way down from there. That's the trick.

On my recent trip to Bangkok, I realized that the street vendors have marked up the prices of their goods considerably higher KNOWING that their customers will bargain. Don't worry; counter it by starting your bargaining bid at 80% off the original price.

An American friend, whom we met there and came shopping with us one night, was so brave... He started by slashing the original price down by 80%. And guess what? The vendor actually sold us the product at that price!

Patpong throbs at night for many different reasons.

My girlfriends went flea-market shopping (one night) at just after midnight and the stalls are still opened. No, I didn't go along with them. I was too busy playing with the remote controls in my hotel room. Oops!

Oh, Patpong is also famous for their girlie bars. I can almost see you guys copying this info down into your scrap books! Tsk! Tsk!!! Just out of curiosity, my girlfriends and I peeked into one of the girlie bars and man, our jaws literally dropped when we saw what those exotic dancers did with a flagpole!!!!

And I thought that flag poles were mainly used for raising flags! I must be the giddiest goose around.

• Sarah97's Profile Photo

Patpoong Street. This place is...

by Sarah97 Written Aug 24, 2002

Patpoong Street. This place is famous for Hot nights and massages. But this street is also full of street vendors and shops. So have a look around!

Instant Answers: Bangkok