Airport Taxis, Bangkok

• Airport Taxis
    by christophe
  • VIP Services? They're a fraud

by MickE281 Written Apr 14, 2014

I booked the BANGKOK AIRPORT VIP Services to help transfer from a International flight to a domestic flight and they didn't show up!! Missed the flight and had to stay a night in a Bangkok Airport hotel and purchase a new ticket to Trat. When I complained to them they refuse to reply or talk top me, let alone refund the THB2100 they extorted from me. DO NOT USE THEM, they are frauds!!!

• Luxury Travel

• Thailand Bangkok Taxi extortion!!!

by bloodymiko Written Jul 16, 2011

I went to the airport public taxi counter at the basement to request for a taxi to my hotel. I had wanted to show the address in Thai to the lady at the counter to make sure the taxi driver knows the direction to my hotel but she replied "No need. He know." Then I followed the driver to his green-yellow taxi, leaving the airport

In his taxi, he asked for 400Baht, I told him to go by meter and asked him to switch on the meter. Then he snatch away the receipt I got from the lady at the taxi counter. I told him I need the receipt but he just kept quiet. I told him to go by meter then he pressed the button but meter did not change after driving for 5 minutes. I asked him about the meter and he just say "maybe spoil." then he press again. Then he say I need to pay 50Baht because meter didn’t run.

I asked if he knows the way to the hotel, he say he don't know. Then I told him it's near a particular BTS station and the nearby popular outstanding malls then he just kept quiet.

When i arrived at my hotel, I asked for a receipt then he say no receipt. I asked that he writes the amount on the receipt that the lady at the airport taxi counter gave me, he refused. I asked that he return the receipt that i got from the lady at the taxi counter, he also refused. I even had to ask the hotel staff to help me request for the receipt then he say he lost it. i told the hotel staff that he placed it at the side of the taxi door near the driver's seat then he went to get it but still refused to give it to me and say he cannot give.

Unique Suggestions: I'm very disappointed in the choice of taxi drivers Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport allowed to ferry passengers. This is a horrifying experience I had ever encounter in Thailand. I thought that by having this public taxi stand, the airport would maintain a proper standard of taxi drivers? And by having the counter staff to write a receipt slip of the taxi details for passengers and the surcharge of 50Baht would helps to ensure the quality of taxi drivers and the standardizing of usages of the taxi meter?

If you really need to take the taxi, make sure you keep the receipt or slip given to your by the staff at the public taxi counter. Keep it safely and away from the sight of the taxi driver so that at least throughout the journey, the taxi driver will not try so many tricks or stuff.

Fun Alternatives: So I think all passengers should try to take the public transport if you really must go to Bangkok. The public train system is rather good for travelers who booked a stay near the station and it easily can get you to your place. Trust it..... I took the airport train when i went there on my own on the 1st day to get from the airport to my hotel. I only took taxi because I went to the airport to fetch my other 2 family members who just arrived and on the last day of my stay when I left the hotel to the airport due to the luggage.

• Business Travel
    • Trains

• Thailand Bangkok Taxi extortion!!!

by bloodymiko Updated Jul 16, 2011

• Classic73's Profile Photo

Don't! At least not more than once...

by Classic73 Written Feb 17, 2009

Tuk tuk's are expensive (no meter), open to the traffic pollution, and rather less safe than taxis.

This has been said over and over but it deserves it... ALWAYS get a taxi and ALWAYS insist on using the meter!!! This goes for the airport taxis too! You should get your cab at the booth outside the airport. They claim to run by the meter only, but the cabdriver will still try to get a fixed price out of you - insist on the meter!!!

• wokka59's Profile Photo

Getting a Taxi from the Airport - how to do it.

by wokka59 Written Mar 16, 2008

Don't get accosted by people as you leave the terminal into the hot air of Bangkok. IGNORE EVERYONE and head right to the sign saying "Public Taxis". Here you will approach a desk and be given a piece of paper assigning a driver to you. The flat fare is TB400 (as of today March 2008) to the city. I always make a mental note of the Taxi Drivers Number as I am sitting in the taxi, just in case I leave something behind or any other problem. Always make sure the meters on.

• Seniors
    • Business Travel

• beebah's Profile Photo

Taxi touts at the BKK airport

by beebah Updated Feb 12, 2008

Suvarnabhumi - Bangkok Airport

We all have faced it. Airport taxi touts. When new airport opened. I thought this issue would be solved already but apparently.. not yet.

Once you arrive at the airport. As soon as you set your foot in the arrival hall. First thing you will hear is not "Welcome to Thailand!" But it will be "Hello, where are you going? taxi?" and it's not going to be only 2-3 times. You will get it at least 10 times or more. Even I'm a local. I live here. These touts even try to sell me a taxi ride! This is VERY tiring and annoying.

Most of these taxis are overpriced. Eventhough they're registered. But these are not regular taxis. They're more like a "Limo" service. (well, but condition of the vehicle is far from being a limo) One of my friends told me one of these touts asked 1,400 Baht for a ride to downtown!

Facts :

1) Regular public taxi (metered). Rates will be something between 250-400 Baht max to go anywhere downtown.

2) If you take a taxi from taxi stand just outside terminal. Service fee will be added (normally it's around 50 baht)

3) Fees for toll-way, express way is not included in a fare. But even it's included in a fare already it shouldn't go over 400 Baht.

4) Express, toll fee.. you pay as you arrive at the "booth" Do not need to give money to driver in advance. Once he stops at the toll office booth. Just ask him how much - and pay as you go.

5) Tip is always appreciated. 40-50 Baht is max. 10-20 is minimum. But don't give just 5 Bath. That's considered insulating (except it's a very short ride)

6) There's nothing such a "Promotion" from government. Do not agree to go anywhere but your destination.

Unique Suggestions: When facing taxi touts. All you need to do...

• Just keep saying "No, Thank you"

• Go straight to Public Taxi Stand. Just right outside terminal. (spot the sign and long line of people waiting)

• If they keep asking "Where are you going?" Just tell them "Pattani" (most south province of Thailand. Nobody goes there if not necessary) or simply say "My friend is picking me up"

• If they still keep hassle you. Just speak your language (If your native is not English) I really enjoy doing this sometimes I just invent some new nonsense language just to confuse them so they leave me alone. It usually works.. LOL

• If they offer you a ridiculous price for a taxi ride. Just laugh it off as loud as you can. :-) They will know that you're not innocent, uninformed tourist.

Fun Alternatives: Take the bus instead of taxi. If not straight to your hotel. At least go downtown first. Then catch another taxi from there. It saves a lot of cost and hassle-free.

• georgelondon's Profile Photo

taxis at bkk airport

by georgelondon Written Sep 23, 2006

when you leave baggage reclaim and you are making your way to exit..you will run the gaunlet of "cheap" taxis!! ignore these and make your way outside to the taxi rank. these taxis will get you into the centre of bangkok for half the price!

• fattytuna's Profile Photo

Taxi back to airport

by fattytuna Written Aug 27, 2006

It's not a big deal but when you ride a taxi back to the airport, I suppose you don't need to pay the 50 baht airport surcharge. It's only needed for getting out of the airport not going in.

My travel guide book didn't mention it. 50 baht is not a big deal for a traveller and it's your last day in Bangkok, but it's a big tip for the driver when your taxi fare is about 200 baht ;)

Unique Suggestions: Taxi driver definitely won't say thanks when you give them a 20% tip.

• verbalkint's Profile Photo

Airport Taxi

by verbalkint Written Aug 22, 2006

Don`t take an airport taxi from taxi guys right when you go out of customs! They`ll rip you off! Please remember, the "normal" taxi is just when go out of the airport building.You`ll probably see a line of people, but it`s going really fast and you`ll save a lot.

• percyn's Profile Photo

Airport Transportation

by percyn Written Aug 26, 2005

When you arrive at the airport, you will be swarmed by official looking people trying to get you into their taxi cabs. Beware of this and proceed at your own risk.

The best bet is to arrange transportation ahead of time with your hotel or take a metered cab (and make sure they turn the meter on).

The average cost to get from the airport to the center of the city (about 30 min) will cost 400 Bhat.

• christophe's Profile Photo

The way from the airport to...

by christophe Written Aug 24, 2002

The way from the airport to Khao san Road cost less than 500 baths, don't pay 3000!!!
    Besides, don't believe the tuk tuk when they'll say the temples are closed, it's a way to make you go to tourist traps!

Instant Answers: Bangkok