Taxi scams, Bangkok

taxi scams
    by iclee
  • Taxi scams
    by kenningst
  • Be aware of this taxi driver

by ataleph Written Feb 17, 2015

We traveled back from Siam park city to Bangkok. We closed 300 baht price with the driver stating clearly that it does include high way toll. The driver agreed (although he has very bad English)
    During the trip we twice paid the toll 65 baht in total.
    When arrived to the destination (he didn't manage to find our hotel so we were pushed to get out at about 1km from a hotel) we gave him 260 baht (300-65 + small tip). Instead of receiving it gratefully he started to argue, used bad language and even threatened.
    Eventually we gave him other 40 baht to save our time and nerves.
    I took a picture of his taxi label inside and attach it here.
    In short be aware of this scammer and have a nice trip.

Unique Suggestions: Always ask to use taxi meter

• Bangkok taxi drivers

by Takiri Written Jul 6, 2012

Bangkok taxi driver requests fare prior to commencing trip to destination once victim in car.

Unique Suggestions: Bangkok taxi driver requests fare once 63 year young lady in cab. After being given the address on a card he drives in the opposite direction. She gestures so he has no doubt that he is going the wrong way. Since she had paid her 200 baht when he stopped in a run down area that she didn't know and he got out the cab to request directions from a fellow cabbie- what does she do? This feisty lady jumped out behind him and begins waving her cab fare that she had reclaimed from a box in the front seat and informed him of how well he didn't do his job. The term "useless" was mentioned frequently. She then proceeded to walk home.
    You Go Gal! She needed a stiff wine on her return.

Fun Alternatives: Walk if within distance and if you have friends traveling with you stay in a group.

• Seniors

• Image Limousine Service Bangkok

by Katzenknie Written Feb 14, 2012

Just be careful with Image Limousine Service (www.imagelimousine.com) The Customer Service is not the same anymore. They drive not with the new Nissan Teana, they would drive also with older Toyota Camry and Drivers who make Mobile-Phonecalls all the time. Really unbelievable! Very disapointed. They treat Customers like stupid Farrangs. They don't replay Emails. They just ignore you. Just want to make Money. Better book the 5 Star Hotel-Limousine like BMW 7-Series for the same Price. Image Limousine Service is really a Trap! Don't waste your Time and Money.

Fun Alternatives: Book direct a 5 Star Limousine Service in your Hotel. 4 Example: Hilton offers BMW 7-Series for the same Price also with VIP Tracking from the Airport-Door.

• Luxury Travel

• Cheating Taxi Driver In Bangkok

by igirisutraveller Written Dec 4, 2011

I was told to beware of taxi drivers in Bangkok as they try to negotiate a fee instead of running on the meter. I took a taxi from the Hotel Intercontinental to the airport and the driver tried to ask me to pay 400 baht but I asked him to put on the meter but he kept saying that it was a "hotel taxi" but I insisted that he put on the meter. When we reached the airport the fare was 201 baht and I know that the toll charge should have been 70 baht but the driver told me to pay 300 baht in total. I asked him why isnt the toll charge 70 baht and asked him for the toll receipts but he said that he didn't have them even though I saw him receive them at the toll points. I ended up paying the 300 baht and even though it's only 29 baht which is only about 60 pence and I usually leave this as tip to honest drivers, it was the fact that he continually tried to cheat me out of money.

The drivers details are:

Name: Meena Somkheat
    Driver Number: 81206

Please beware of this driver.

Unique Suggestions: Ask for the meter to be put on in the taxi and for the toll receipts as soon as he receives them.

Fun Alternatives: Take the MRT which is quick and quite convenient.

• violent taxi driver

by isseymike Written Jul 6, 2011

I stayed in Bangkok from 11th May 2011 till 24th June 2011 to do an Invitro fertillization for a baby since we are a couple having fertility problem. We spent almost 350,000 baht (US$ 12000) for the treatment which didnt turn up successful for which we were very depressed. Therefore we decided to leave bangkok as soon as possible, to get ease out our mind we went for a small shopping in a well known shopping mall on our last day in Bangkok. Since we saw that the mall had a taxi queue, went to the queue and took a taxi. First two taxis from the queue said there will be too much traffic on the way to our place and finally the third one agreed to take us. Unfortunately I forgot to ask about the meter to turn on but usually specially from the mall queues they have to start the meter as soon as they leave. So after we left the mall in the taxi, I noticed that the meter was not on and when taxi driver knew that I was to question him before I did he asked me how much I will pay him. Since the meter was not on for a while I said we usually comes shopping here and it cost us 60 baht and I can pay that amount. After hearing this the driver said "NO no, you have to pay me 3000 baht", I was shocked to hear it and first I thought he was joking but when he said if I refuse to pay him what he demanded he will fight with me and in while saying it and driving on one hand he took the wheel wrench from the other hand. Since I was with my wife and she was crying when she knew we are in trouble, I did not wanted to make things worse so I decided to pay the amount he was demanding and asked him to take us to our place. He agreed and when I paid him 2000 baht, again he demanded for more and I said I dont have any more money left with me he again warned me that if I dont pay him more he will drive more far from my place and he did as he said. I got really scared but luckily my wife's mobile who was sitting in the back seat had beep sound indicating the battery is low, the driver heard the beep sound and questioned that is she informing anyone and I told him no. After this he panicked and he thought we were lying and the beep sound is because my wife has given a signal to some one and he though he might be followed, by then he decided to let us go off and escape, therefore he stopped the taxi in a narrow lane and told us to get out and not to let anyone know about him otherwise he will follow us and attack again and he quickly left. From there we walked up to a main road and got another taxi and reached our apartment. It was really a frightening experience and we dont want anyone to get into a scam like this.

Unique Suggestions: in my one and half month stay in bangkok, I heard lot of stories like this but couldnt believe it was true ever since I experienced one, based on my experience I would share my views to avoid such
    - avoid taking taxis from queues of shopping mall, because these drivers act on these places since they know there will be lot of foriegners going in and out in these malls.
    - best is to use BTS and MRT trains since they are quite comfortable, affordable and convenient to reach most of the places within bangkok.
    - before getting into a taxi, observe the drivers attitude closely by having a casual talk or something.

Fun Alternatives: try your best to use train system or bus system which is more safe and convenient.
    second try to get on to vehicals open with no doors like TUK TUK (which might also be dangerous at times) so that you will chance to get out of the vehicle.

• violent taxi driver

by isseymike Updated Jul 6, 2011

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo

Dodgy taxis

by deeper_blue Written Mar 29, 2010

In my first day in Bangkok I was feeling lazy and let the taxi take me to dinner. BIG MISTAKE, they take you to expensive places and pocket the commission, best to tell them where to go and don't let them plan your holiday for you.

• Taxi Mafia - taximeters

by yzyz Written Feb 22, 2009

Taxi driver has to open-up the taxi-meter. They usually try to charge more and ask for higher prices. So when you get on a taxi, ask the driver to turn on the taxi meter. Do not bargain for the price. Call the taxi from your hotel or a shopping center. For example if you are walking on the street, go to the nearest hotel or shopping center, they will call a taxi for you. Usually the taxis can not bargain when they get custumers from such places.

Unique Suggestions: If the driver refuses to turn on the taxi-meter. Or they sometimes turn it off during the travel and ask for more money. If you face such a situation, don't bargain. Just tell the driver to go to the nearest hotel (or your hotel). When you arrive, get of the taxi, and tell him that you will pay the money on the taxi-meter. He will not dare to argue with you at the hotel. The hotel will get you another taxi.

Fun Alternatives: Get on taxis from hotels and shopping centers. Plan your trip. Try not searching for a taxi in a rush hour.

• iclee's Profile Photo

Taxi - Meter or No Deal

by iclee Written Feb 18, 2009

Don't be fooled by taxis with meters! Some are notorious for accepting passengers and levying a "certain" additional or a fixed fare when you call out a specific destination. Even if meters are running, they will cite and demand that you pay that or take another cab. We've taken green/yellow and pink fuschia cabs with the same scams. So, it is not entirely true that green/yellow cabs driven by owners are safer and more honest to passengers.

Unique Suggestions: Once you jump inside a cab, demand for meter use after stating your destination. If in a bind, like heavy traffic or rushing to airport, at least agree on a specific fare. Airport bound? Make sure you agree if tollfee is already included in the arranged fee or will be shouldered by passenger.

Fun Alternatives: We were bound for Suvarnabhumi on Valentine's Day around 7pm at the corner of MBK road. After getting inside a cab with horrendous cabfare demands, we decided to not be held up by driver's absurd demand (THB500-600). Got off and found the nearest MIB (Men in Brown) Tourist Police right outside Maboonkrong mall. We explained the situation and he was more than happy to hail a cab and arrange for an acceptable fare THB400 inclusive of toll and tip. He hailed and gave tickets/charged to 2 cabs before finally giving us a safe and honest cab.

It seems these cab drivers are fearful of the MIB lot so try to make use of these Men in Brown.

taxi scams
    • Business Travel

• Never Take a Taxi To Any Restaurants or Shops

by iantham Written Jun 11, 2008

BEWARE!! NEVER TAKE A TAXI OR TUK TUK to any shops, restaurants, massage places, tourist attraction (generally anywhere you intend to spend money). The reason are as follows:

1. The taxi driver will deliberately take you somewhere else (regardless of giving him clear instructions of the Street name and Shop name you intend to visit in Thai or English).

2. I took a taxi and gave clear instructions written and spoken in Thai of where I wanted to go. It was Somboon Restaurant (the top seafood restaurant in Bangkok). He brought me to Sombondee Restaurant instead. A very common and deliberate scam. Even the shops and restaurants will be in on the scam. They will lie to you about their address, street name they are on, as well as, shop name just to cheat you big time.

3. Inspite of giving clear instructions, the taxi driver will deliberately sent you to another place.

4. I ended up paying 7,000 baht for a dinner that should have cost about 1,000baht. A US$50 meal ended up costing US$250.

Unique Suggestions: 1. Always take down the full detail of every taxi you take. The licence plate number (clearly displayed on both side of the rear doors).

2. The driver details on the front passenger side.

3. Use a camera phone to record every trip just to be save.

4. If you are con, report the case to the tourist police at 1155 or 678 6800 http://www.thailandguru.com/thailand-tourist-police.html

5. Alternatively, you can report to the taxi company (there is a white paper with the contact detail when you arrive at the airport regarding how to complaint about taxi drivers).

Fun Alternatives: Pay with a credit card and call your credit card company to cancel the payment. Tell the card company that you didnt sign for the charges.

• Too good to be true !

by lsling7757 Written Mar 9, 2008

I need to book a van to accomodate 5pax. If not, we would have to separate into 2 taxis instead. As I was walking towards the exit to the public taxi stand, I was approached by a guy agent (who speaks fluent cantonese) who offered us 1000baht (orginal was 1400baht). As I was pondering, he gave a final price of 900baht (including tolls) which I accept immediately. What a great offer!
    However, as we were on our way to hotel, I noticed tat the driver did not use the expressway & was driving the congested road instead. The worst is, the driver lost his way to the hotel. As a result, our journey was around 1hr 45mins compared to the expected 45mins.

• Seniors

• Donna-Lee's Profile Photo

sneaky drivers

by Donna-Lee Written Aug 19, 2007

Make sure you tell the taxi/tuk-tuk driver you dont want any stops, many times, after i negotiated a fare or got the meter turned on, the driver said, with a smile of course, please make 1 stop, you have to be forthright in saying 'no stops' even walk away, most times they will reluctantly say ok ok

• touraco's Profile Photo

Taxis

by touraco Written Jun 28, 2007

I would say Taxis are generally safe and convenient to take. However, there will definitely be black sheeps around.

Taxi drivers will also tell you that a certain place you are going is closed or not opened yet and asks you to make a detour to gem factories for free gas voucher.

Unique Suggestions: Always ensure that taxis run on meter before boarding. If they do not want to switch on their meter, you can opt to take another or bargain for a comfortable price you are willing to pay for the journey.

Never trust the driver that a certain place is closed, check with your hotel for opening hours.

Fun Alternatives: BTS runs through most tourist attractions and it's a cheap way to travel around Bangkok.

• Check the taxi meter

by jaaf Updated Jun 18, 2007

While we were travelling in a taxi we were frequantly checking the meter we knew that the meter starts from 35 baht.

When the journry get to an end the Meter was displaying 51 baht and suddenly the driver press the accelerator and it went to 53 baht and within a second he reset the meter and said 100 baht.

we were keeping an eye on the meter so we said it was 51 baht. he againg tried to cheat and said "ya ! ya! 61 baht"

we were really disappointed when he tried to cheat us twice. So we left the taxi by giving him a note of 50 baht.

Unique Suggestions: keep an eye on the meter of taxi. try to check it frequently. cuz they make you busy in the buildings and all that kinda stuff so try NOT to put your attention any where else beside the meter.

Fun Alternatives: As far as possible try to travel by BTS!
    Its fun as well as quick and accurate

• fukinmarine's Profile Photo

Taxi Driver Fees

by fukinmarine Written Jun 11, 2007

I asked a local taxi driver to take me to a good resturant that was reasonably priced.... He took me to a nice seafood resturant and the charged me not only a service charge but also tried charging me a taxi service fee for taking me to the resturant..... HELL NO..... i left without paying so in the end they lost out!!!!

Instant Answers: Bangkok