Tuk-tuks, Bangkok

many tuk tuks
    a tuk tuk
    riding a tuk tuk
  • machomikemd's Profile Photo

Tuk Tuks "tuk your money!"

by machomikemd Updated Oct 11, 2012

many tuk tuks

this will be my tourist trap tips for the bangkok style tuk tuks, which are way different in design and make from the phuket tuk tuks and the ayuthaya tuk tuks. Tuk tuks are a generic tricycle common in the Whole of Asia and almost every country has it's version of the tuk tuk. the basic design of a tuktuk is being fitted with a water-cooled two-stroke engine. They have handlebar controls instead of a steering wheel, making them a tricycle. The tuk-tuk is named after the sound its two-stroke engine makes when it is idling. It may have been derived from a similar Japanese automobile Daihatsu Midget in the 1950s. are popular amongst tourists for their novelty value.

If you are a smart tourist, then don't ride in one of these contraptions as they charge a minimum of 100 baht for a 3 kilometer ride for tourists and eve 200 baht for those unscropulous tuk tuk drivers. just take a picture but if you really want to experience the bumpy and noisy tuk tuk ride, then be prepared to pay 100 baht for a group of at least 3 people who can fit at the small tuk tuks.

Unique Suggestions: In Bangkok the Thais much prefer to take taxis which don't cost much more and don't have the tuk-tuk problems of choking exhaust fumes, rough ride, no air-conditioning, and safety. (however, the phuket tuk tuks charge more at 200 baht minimum for a short ride and they come in a bigger engline like a mini asian utility vehicle).

It's essential to bargain the price with tuk-tuks before getting in. If you only ask after the ride, it's likely to end in a request for an ridiculous fare which can obviously lead to an unpleasant situation.
    Fares in Bangkok are 35 starting at Taxis.

Fun Alternatives: Use the BTS Skytrain or the Underground MRT Subway for transport as most tourist areas in bangkok are serviced by both!

Also use a taxi but insist on them using the meter! 35 baht is the flagdown rate!

• off-to-a-late-start's Profile Photo

They're not ALL scammers!!

by off-to-a-late-start Written Aug 31, 2011

It's a mistake to paint all tuk-tuk drivers with the same brush. I had nothing but good luck with them. They never quoted a price to take me somewhere. Instead, they said I should just pay what I thought the ride was worth. I figured they found that tourists would over pay if the amount was left up to them.

I'd hire a tuk-tuk for the day - for $30.00US. They'd take me where ever I wanted to go, wait for me like a chauffer, then whisk me off to the next temple or whatever. Lunchtime - I'd have them take me to the place of their choice (invariably, some out of the way spot down a side street with good food and low prices) and spring for their lunch, giving me the opportunity to get to know them and what their lives are like: if they're married, have kids, where they came from, and so on.

Here's how the tuk-tuk business works: there is a limit on the number of tuk-tuks allowed in the city, and they can operate only within a specific geographic area. Virtually all of the tuk-tuks are owned by two companies. The drivers rent their rigs for the equivalent of $15.00US per day. They have to make that much, plus the cost of fuel, to break even. That's why I'd pay them a flat $30 - it assured they'd make a minimum $15.00 profit for the day, with the possibility of making even more $ after dropping me off at my hotel in the late afternoon, or whenever. When I visited the Grand Palace, I told my driver to go make some $ and return to pick me up in 4 hours.

I've taken 2 trips to Cambodia, arranged by travel agents that tuk-tuk drivers introduced me to. Great deals on both; e.g.,November, 2008, round trip Bangkok to Siam Reap via ground transportation + private guide and his driver at Angkor Wat for 2 days + hotel, all for $245.

Unique Suggestions: If you're not doing day long rentals like I did, and the driver asks if he may take you to Ching Jewelery factory or some custom taylor shop, etc., just ask him what his commission is for taking you there if you buy nothing. Then, pay him that amount in addition to the fare. It'll save your precious vacation time and make him happy, too.

Fun Alternatives: You can always take a taxi, but I never have in Bangkok. It was either public transportation or tuk-tuks.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

Tuk Tuk

by xymmot Updated Oct 13, 2010

They look cute and a novelty to ride the open air, but few Thais travel in a Tuk-Tuk and you shouldn't either. They are loud and open air to the noise and air pollution. When it is hot and you are stuck in traffic, you would think of this tip. Don't ride the TUK-tUK. oFTEN TIMES THEY will overcharge,and if they do not get the money they want, they will just drive you elsewhere, or drive reckless to scare you to jump out. I have been there and heard many stories about the bad drivers.

Unique Suggestions: set a price

Fun Alternatives: air condition taxi, walk or ride a bus or skytrain

• Museum Visits
    • Motorcycle

• seoulgirl's Profile Photo

Tuk Tuk's

by seoulgirl Written May 20, 2010

Tuk tuk's around Khao san Road suck!!! For one they won't even give you a ride unless they can take you to a store where they get a kick back for taking you there. They get 5 litre's of gas apparently. So...you can't even hire one unless you pay out the ass for it because they want the gas. We got one Tuk Tuk driver to take us to Chinatown and he went around the block and stopped. We got out. He was chasing us down the road still trying to make a deal. It's ***!

Unique Suggestions: Don't take a tuk tuk unless you are on a main road, even then you can end up nowhere and just pissed off because they didn't take you where you wanted to go.

Fun Alternatives: Learn to take the local buses or take a taxi. But the taxis sometimes won't take you either if you tell them to turn there meter on.

• yukisanto's Profile Photo

Be firm when u take tuk-tuk - or be bullied

by yukisanto Written Jan 28, 2009

Before you even get onto a tuk-tuk in Bangkok, agree on the price. Our driver agreed to take us to our destination, and along the way, he kept recommending we go to this restaurant to eat or that shop to buy. We said no, that our friend was waiting for us at our destination and we were late (which was not true of coz), thinking he would stop asking. But he didn't stop asking until he brought us to our destination. And even then he was like asking for a tip.

Moral of the story? Sometimes you really have to be firm, or you end up paying more than you bargain for.

• kencat's Profile Photo

Tuk Tuk Beware

by kencat Written Nov 2, 2008

I say.. if you're in bangkok.. ride at least once for the experience.. otherwise.. take a cab instead.. they are more expensive.. and for us the price agreed upon changed when we reached our destination.. We kept arguing.. Good thing though the tuk tuk driver didnt know much english so he just let us go.

Fun Alternatives: Take a taxi instead..

• Tuk Tuk nightmares

by mattdavies1971 Written Oct 12, 2008

When in Bangkok it's worthwhile taking a tuk tuk - but only once and only for the experience.
    However be prepared to taken to every gem shop and tailor shop in the city and if you don't buy anything there they'll try to take you to another one just incase you want to buy from there. Also be very wary if the tuk tuk driver offers to recommend anywhere to eat we stupidly went for his recommendation and got charged 5,000 bt for a meal we could easily have got elsewhere for about 1,000 bt.

Unique Suggestions: As mentioned it is fun to take a tuk tuk once but always agree the price 1st - shouldn't be over 100 bt and make it clear you want to go direct.

Fun Alternatives: For the rest of the time use taxis or the skytrain

• YaaDong's Profile Photo

You..Tuk Tuk?

by YaaDong Updated Jul 18, 2008

When you are walking around the Gand Palace you will see many Tuk Tuks parked along Maharat Rd waiting for unsuspecting tourist .They will take you to Wat Pho for 10 or 20 or...baht ,however Wat Pho is just next door about seconds away ... within easy walking distance.

Unique Suggestions: Just smile and keep on walking.

• haruki_sdr's Profile Photo

Expensive Tuk Tuk rides

by haruki_sdr Written Jul 9, 2008
    4 ppl squeezing in a Tuk Tuk

I have heard alot of the Tuk Tuk traps before I visit Bangkok. But, lucky for me, we were taken direct to our destination although the price is ex. 120B for a distance that would only have cost 40B if we take meter cab. so, you are going for the experience, it'll be quite worthwhile. And, maybe we looked too "student", hence they don't think we are able to afford the items at the gem shops. hahaha

• Study Abroad
    • School Holidays

• Snipernurse's Profile Photo

The Tuk Tuk game

by Snipernurse Written Jun 30, 2008

Please read up on the game you'll have to play if you choose to take tuk tuk's around bangkok. Overall it is not worth the trouble to take tuk tuks very frequently as the air is bad and they are uncomfortable. I think everyone who comes to Bangkok should visit a gem shop and suit shop just for the fun of it (not to buy anything of course) but extended trips around in a tuk tuk are a waste of time. Tuk tuk drivers will try endlessly to take you to gem or suit shops so they receive a gas voucher from you. In return you must spend an allotted time in the shop and not need to buy anything. However this can eat up your time and get annoying when after you had gone to two shops for the driver and then insist on him taking you to a couple of sightseeing stops, that he ditches you at the first one

• aotearoaallstar's Profile Photo

know where your going

by aotearoaallstar Written Dec 12, 2007

becareful of tuk tuks in bangkok, know where you want to go, other wise they will suggest where they should take you. this should not be the case, so dont get in his tuk tuk. if you want to go somewhere wait a minute for another one. the general price should be no more than 100 baht

Unique Suggestions: DO NOT GO WHT HIM MAKE UP EXCUSES!!!

Fun Alternatives: GET IN ANOTHER TUK TUK

• canajen's Profile Photo

Cheap Tuk-tuks? I don't think so!

by canajen Written Aug 25, 2007

Never, and I mean 'NEVER', take a tuk-tuk unless it is prepaid as part of a large tour outside of Bangkok. They will either try to charge you several times the amount a taxi will, or will bring you random places to try to make a profit off of you. They make commisions by dropping you off a 'gem' or 'jewelry' places and they will insist that they are showing you a special place. Don't fall for it!

Unique Suggestions: If you have no other option, insist on your price. If they say the trip will be 500 bahts or will not take you directly, jump out and talk to the next guy.

• If you really really want to ride a tuk-tuk

by hnii Written Aug 1, 2007

I've heard of many getting tricked into visiting these shops etc once they get onto the tuk-tuk and that some are charging more than the taxi drivers.

Unique Suggestions: But for those who want a ride (just for the experience), i recommend riding it late at night e.g after late night shopping, because by then, the shops that they intend to take u to would be closed, its not as dusty and in fact, its cheaper than the taxi cabs!

• touraco's Profile Photo

Tuks Tuks

by touraco Written Jun 28, 2007

Tuks Tuks are a simple way of transportation around bangkok considering the traffic jams that occur quite frequently in bangkok.

However, do take note that some of the tuks tuks driver will make a detour to some jewellery/gem shops along the way so that they can earn a voucher for free gas.

Unique Suggestions: If you feel that it's ok to make a detour just so that driver can have the free voucher, just go into the shop, walk around and exit. Do not let them persuade you into buying anything.

And always ensure you agreed on the cost before getting on the tuk tuk.

Fun Alternatives: The BTS goes through major tourist attractions so you can always take the BTS instead

• TukTuk Scam

by labsanto Updated Jun 17, 2007

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS: YELLOW LICENSE ARE TUKTUK TAXIS AND WHITE LICENSES ARE PRIVATELY-OWNED TUKTUKS. Yellow license tuktuks are regular taxis (there is a TAXI sign on top of their roof), you bargain the fare before you ride them. White license tuktuks are privately-owned, therefore are used mostly by scamers, you also bargain the fare before you ride but they are usually cheaper than regular taxi tuktuks. If you want to check what I'm saying, observe the following when you get to Bangkok: (1) the car-taxi's license color; (2) what color of tuktuk's license the locals ride. I recommend you approach the tuktuk drivers yourself, instead of being talked into using their service by their front-agents. White-licensed tuktuks agents or driver will asked you if you have a map if not they will use their own map. On the map they'll point out tourist attractions and gem/tailor/souvenir shops along the way to the attractions. At this point, the driver will set the fare; you will bargain the fare if you choose to use their service. My experience with the white-licensed tuktuk was some what producted, except for the restaurant. My driver told me first hand that the shops will give him gas coupons, it doesn't matter if I buy or not. With the set fare, your driver will take you to the attractions and wait for you until you are done. If you are hungry, ask your driver to take you to a cheap restaurant or else he will take to an expensive one (expensive is expensive on a Thai's budget, but not on westener's budget, around 10 -15 dollars per dish), also the driver will get some kind of kick-back from the restaurant. Don't be discourage riding tuktuks, they are great to ride and one of the best way to explore Bangkok.

Unique Suggestions: If you realized that you got scamed while riding the tuktuk, pretend you need to stop at a nearby 7-11 store to buy water. When you get off, pay your driver and terminate his service.

Fun Alternatives: Regular taxis. Ask the driver to use the meter.

Instant Answers: Bangkok