Tuk-tuks, Bangkok

riding a tuk tuk
  • lunargodezz's Profile Photo

Naughty Tuk Tuk drivers

by lunargodezz Updated May 19, 2007

We knew not to but we did it anyway and got scammed, we haggled a price to the sky train station and told the driver straight there please and after a while noticed we were going the wrong way and we ended up at a fake tourist shop in the middle of chinatown in the back streets, the driver would not carry on till we went in the shop so he could get fuel vouchers, we walked away and around the corner we got a metred taxi thank goodness.

Unique Suggestions: Always carry a map and use a metred taxi but remember to ask them to turn the metre on. Do try a tuk tuk though it is an experience but don't get suckered into going into gem stores or fake tourist offices.

Fun Alternatives: Always use a metred taxi, we never paid more than 80 baht to go where we needed to go and they are air conditioned.

• zuyao's Profile Photo

Tuk-Tuk Tour

by zuyao Updated Feb 20, 2007

Becareful if someone offers you a cheap tuk-tuk ride. There is definitely something behind it. I was offered a tuk-tuk ride for only 20 baht that will bring me to 2-3 temples in the town. This was introduced by a 'lecturer from a nearby university' who approached me at the entrance of the Grand Palace. Well, the ride is not expensive at all and it's a good experience to sit in a tuk-tuk and you'll still get to visit the promised attractions. But in between he'll bring you to gem shops after gem shops. In fact be prepared to visit more than 5 of those darn shops. I stopped after the second, paid the 20baht and left. It was worth it anyway since I have visited one of the temples. According to the tuk-tuk driver, if he brings me to a certain nos of shops he gets free fuel voucher for his tuk-tuk!

Unique Suggestions: If you want a really cheap ride that covers a few destinations you want to visit (and if you have plenty of time and patience) then this is not too bad an offer. Don't worry to stop in between if you think you have enough. The tuk-tuk drivers are quite friendly and they mean no harm. They'll even help you to flag down a taxi for your next destination!

Fun Alternatives: Tuk-tuks and taxis are not that expensive and are plentiful. Just take a point-to-point ride and ignore such 'tour offers'.

• LINSY's Profile Photo

tuk tuks outside grand palace

by LINSY Written Feb 16, 2007

We were warned, but had to experience it for ourselves anyway. You have to have a tuk-tuk trip when you're in Thailand - hair-raising driving in heavy pollution. We gave in and agreed to a driver taking us to see the three main temples - he waited outside for us at each one and we just hopped back on again - which was great. The downside was that we had to go and pay an obligatory visit to the tailor...

• redsurf's Profile Photo

Tuk Tuk

by redsurf Written Jan 24, 2007
    Thai Superbike

We all understand everybody's just trying to make a living. But at our expense? Big no. These tuk tuk drivers are everywhere in the city, esp tourist areas. They will approach u and offer u a 10baht ride but usually yr destination will be interrupted with a short trip to somewhere else that has 'tie-ups' wif these drivers, who gets commission for bringing tourists to their shops. Another ruse is that they parked themselves outside some eating places and tell u its closed and offer to take u to another place that sells even better food at cheaper prices. Now if u hop on, good luck to u (your wallet).

Unique Suggestions: Tuk Tuks are fast, and they cut corners to get u there in double quick time. But its a bit dangerous though, looking at the way they weave in and out of traffic. Its a hairblowing smoke-inhaling experience and a unique form of transportation not found elsewhere. One good option if ur in a hurry although not necessary the fastest when there is a jam. It's very cheap if u meet an honest driver.

Fun Alternatives: Take a taxi anytime. They worked for me all the time. Price is almost similar. Bangkok is famous for traffic jams, among other things...so a little patience is always needed.

• Singles

• boocik04's Profile Photo

Tuk-tuk

by boocik04 Written Dec 14, 2006

I was also approached by a tuk-tuk driver just like one of my fellow VT. He offered me 40THB to go to a gem factory somewhere in the heart of the city. The driver said that the Grand Palace is closed for the day due to Buddha Day! Fortunately, I read the comment by the VT member about this so, I told the driver, "No, thank you."

• Not what you think

by stomx Written Dec 9, 2006

did anybody know that if you actually talk to the tuk tuk drivers about this they will actually cut you into this scam for fifty percent plus you get to travel around with a personal guide for free around bangkok> open your minds please tourists

• river_plate_94's Profile Photo

Pushy vendors and tuk tuk drivers

by river_plate_94 Written Sep 8, 2006

I don't think Thais people understand Western principle of "personal space". Vendors think nothing of gently touching you and tuk tuk drivers will try to gently guide you into their tuk tuk. No man-handling, but akward since in America it's a no no to touch anyone without permission or unless you know each other well.

Many tuk tuk drivers will say they will give you a tour of the city for 10 baht. Don't believe them. I found them more pushy than anyone and I avoided them at all cost and took cabs or BTS skytrain.

• tuk - tuk trouble

by Crankymorgs Written Aug 23, 2006

beware of drivers side tracking your destination to visit his/her mates at shops on the way, so you are pressured into buying from their stores. If you are offered such a low rate for a ride it is likely you will be taken to one of these places.

Unique Suggestions: pay for the fare and get out, get another taxi or tuk tuk. there are plenty in Bangkok.

Fun Alternatives: take a taxi or use the metro in bangkok..metro takes coins as far as i remember on auto ticketing

• j0yce's Profile Photo

TUKTUK Scams - gas card scam

by j0yce Updated Aug 8, 2006

took this picture while riding on the van :)

The tuktuk men outside of our hotel offered us a tuktuk ride to MBK for only 30 baht. So, seeing that it was cheaper than what the hotel quoted for a ride, we climbed aboard. What we didn't know was that he was going to take us to a horrid little gem shop were all the attendants follow you like dogs! we hated it all and we also got really annoyed.

Unique Suggestions: if you're inside the store just pretend to browse and then after about 2 mins get out. SOme of those nondescript stores sell FAKE jewelry so it's better if you buy gems at your home country, where you are more familiar, or at the many respectable malls in bangkok. (though they are much more expensive, at least you're guaranteed that they're genuine)

Fun Alternatives: after enduring the scam by the tuktuk men just go to ocean world, located at the siam paragon mall ;) you can swim with sharks (black tip sharks, nurse sharks etc.) Also it's said to be the largest aquarium in SEA

• roel121479's Profile Photo

Beware for TukTuk drivers trying to be friendly

by roel121479 Written Jun 30, 2006
    His name is Charlie the Tuktuk Driver

I already know how to avoid this incident. However, this tuktuk driver name Charlie, just drove me directly to a non famous jewelry store. I already said no, and still insist me to go inside so he could get a free fuel slips. I have no idea whats gonna happen next. I then go inside to check but said to my self that im not gonna buy anything. People in the jewelry shop insist me , forcing me to buy even in US Dollars or via credit card.

Unique Suggestions: To make a long story short, IF YOUR NOT INTO JEWELRIES and GEMS, dont go to these places. If the Tuktuk driver still insist, leave the tuktuk driver and get another one or grab a cab.

They may be friendly outside but deep inside, the'yre just trying to get money from me in a different way.

Its not bad to show that you dont have to follow their orders. You pay for their service, you dont pay for what they want you to do.!!!

Fun Alternatives: Grab a map, take a walk and use the mrt or public bus.
    If its impossible to walk, use a cab and insist them to use the meter. If they dont, at least bargain for the right price before you hop on to the cab.

• alexeikarp's Profile Photo

Tuk Tuk - An expensive toy

by alexeikarp Written Apr 12, 2006

You could try a Tuk-Tuk once or twice, just for fun, but the polluted air makes travelling in one more or less unbearable.

Also, please bear in mind that in 99% of the situations they would be SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than a Taxi with a taximetre! Don't be fooled!

Fun Alternatives: Take a taxi! The green ones are the most confortable ones (they all cost the same) and DEFINATELY ask for the taximetre!!!

• Nemoa's Profile Photo

Tuk tuk not always tip top...

by Nemoa Written Feb 5, 2006
    Tuk tuk

Quite often you will try to hitch a ride in a tuk tuk and after saying your destination the fellow will refuse, not even politely to take you there. Why? Still to find out but just get a taxi, they are not expensiveand you won't have to put up with a fellow who will try to kill you in a rotten bicycle with an engine attached to it after making you pay double you should.

Not keen on tuk tuks myself, as you can see..

Unique Suggestions: Always settle the price in advance and don't allow the drivers to haggle or negotiate too much.
    Half of the times, you destination is not on their planned route and they will try to dump you somewhere nearby or take you somewhere else.

You are the customer and they cannot even bother to be polite to you so, what the heck!

Fun Alternatives: Take a taxi.

• gonzo747's Profile Photo

See temples only 10 bath.

by gonzo747 Updated Oct 14, 2005

Mr tuktuk driver

I've just arrived in Bangkok, having my first beer on Khao san road. Then a tuktukdriver shows up telling me he'll show me many temples for only 10 bath. Sounded like a good deal.
    Well I only saw one temple then we started to drop me off at places I don't want to be. A place where they wanted to make a suit for me, a brothel etc...
    It was a very anoying experience.

Unique Suggestions: So if some tuktukdriver comes over with a great deal think twice, he's going to bring you to places and will try to get you to spend money over there. He'll get petrol or money from the owners.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Be Aware of your surroundings !!!!

by jlanza29 Written Jul 3, 2005

Be aware !!!

Ok, this might be the biggest danger you might face in Bangkok, since only tourist take these Tuk-Tuk's be very aware of where your going, they approach you offering a 10 baht rid per person but they'll stop at a clothing store or a jem store, it would be ok, BUT if you don't buy anything they just leave you there and who know where you might end up !!!!! When we took one, the driver wanted 80 bahts, I told them to go "F" himself, and believe me HE UNDERSTOOD perfectly well, what I meant !!!! then another driver wanted 60 bahts and I dropped him to 30 bahts but the bastard dropped us off, not excatly where we wanted and we ended up walking a good 3 blocks, so be aware of where you are at and try not to converse with the driver, your just opening yourself up to a person looking to rob you !!!!!!

Unique Suggestions: If he's says he'll take you for 10 bahts or free...walk away !!!!!! there's no perfect way of getting into one, just be AWARE of your SURROUNDINGS !!!!!!

• gib157's Profile Photo

Theres a reason why its so cheap!

by gib157 Written Jan 15, 2005
    temple

Tuk Tuk tours can be good or they can be bad. I never had a bad experience but of course Ive heard them. The generall rule is you ask to go somwhere and the guy says 20b if he can take you to a temple and a 'thai factory', meaning a jewellery shop or tailors. Some of the temples are very beautiful but you feel intrusive and there are some dodgy men who hang around becasue tourists are common. Even if you blatantly dont want to go into a tailors etc its easier just to do it and then walk out after 5 minutes because the shops give the tuk tuk drivers vouchers for fuel. Its common for them to say they dont have change aswell, so a 20b ride will end up costing 50b or even 100b. Or maybe thats my fault for not having change myself.

Unique Suggestions: The best thing to always do is smile and be polite. This aplies to all travel but I really learnt it in Thailand. Getting stressed never helps. Just take it smoothly and dont worry, but be sure what you are getting and where you are going. I felt safe on my own but Bangkok is a huge city and I wasnt there for long. NOt all Thai people can be as nice as the ones I met. THere are execptions everywhere.

Fun Alternatives: Do some research into what temples you want to see, and be firm about where you want to go. Obviously getting a taxi will solve the problem but it will be more, however metered taxi do work out a lot cheaper I found.

Instant Answers: Bangkok