Airport Departure Tax, Bangkok

The receipt
    by SirRichard
  • DEPARTURE TAX

by THAILAND36 Written Jul 20, 2007

I LEFT BANGKOK JULY 2007 AND WAS TOLD BY MY TOUR REP THAT DEPARTURE TAX HAD INCREASED TO 750 BAHT. I HAVE BEEN TO THAILAND SEVERAL TIMES AND DID NOT SEE ANY KIOSKS AT THE NEW AIRPORT TO PAY THE TAX. AND EASILY PASSED THROUGH PASSPORT CONTROL WITHOUT PAYING TOUR REPS SEEM TO HAVE WRONG INFORMATION ON THE NEW TAX I NOW UNDERSTAND IT IS ALLREADY INCLUDED IN YOUR AIR TICKET PITTY NOBODY TOLD THE TOUR REP.

• Study Abroad

• Carino's Profile Photo

Departure Tax

by Carino Written Oct 28, 2006

Bangkok has a new airport but the Departure Tax still has to be paid. Be aware: There are no signs saying that you need to buy one, but you will not get through security, if you did not pay the 500 Baht. You can pay the tax right beside the entrance to the departure gates.

• mamasan69's Profile Photo

AIRPORT FEES

by mamasan69 Updated May 13, 2005

THE STUFF YOU NEED-Bangkok

When leaving Thailand everybody will pay a 500bht airport fee, even if you have been in country for less than a month.
    You will also pay more the longer you stay past a month. This fee has something to do with visa tax/fee? We didn't have to pay this because we left after one month exactly. The fee goes up the longer past a month that you are in Thailand. If I remember after 4 days it will cost you an extra 200bht per day. This is the fine as I found out from my last trip, I overstayed by 5 days and had to pay an extra 1000bht.
    So keep this in mind to prevent being stuck in the airport or rushing around at the last minute to find cash.

• School Holidays

• trisanna's Profile Photo

Save 500 baht

by trisanna Written Apr 20, 2005

Most countries include the country's departure tax in the price of the airline ticket you buy. Unfortunately, Thailand isn't one of those countries. You need to remember to put aside 500 baht(per person) for the departure tax. As soon as you check in-there will be kiosks, where you can pay the money to a person or use the machine. I prefer the machine, since they are much faster and you can pay for departure tax for a whole family/group of friends at the same time. You will give the receipt of the tax to the man/woman who punches a whole in it -before you go thru customs.

The departure tax must be paid in cash. One time i ran out of cash and had to get a credit card advance to pay the tax. Just put the money aside as soon as you enter Thailand.

• Lingualorphan's Profile Photo

Airport Taxes

by Lingualorphan Written Dec 7, 2004

I arrived at the airport with my last 1000 Baht and thought that I would have a good junk of that for the next time I come back and to encourage me to do so.

Well after giving my super nice taxi driver a good tip. I had 700 ( I lived about an hour from the airport) to take home.... or not.

I have been only to about 14 or so airports in the world, but the Bangkok airport was the first one that I had to pay a tax that was not included in the ticket already. 500 Baht, not a huge fee, but I was lucky I did not go to the Burger King in Terminal 2 frist before I paid my taxes. When you are on a budget and have NOTHING else for back up it would be good if the travel agancy told you these things. (In the mines deffence.. they might have tried)

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Keep 500 B for the airport

by SirRichard Written Sep 2, 2003

The receipt

If you are leaving Bangkok by plane, keep 500 B per person for the airport taxes. Anyway, after passing the customs you can exchange back your useless thai notes in a bank inside the embarking section.

• Business Travel

• LES_GRAY's Profile Photo

CORRUPTION IS THE NORM IN...

by LES_GRAY Written Sep 12, 2002

CORRUPTION IS THE NORM IN THAILAND ACCEPT IT AFTERALL YOU ARE IN THEIR COUNTRY,CORRUPTION IS RIFE IN OUR OWN COUNTRIES BUT WE CALL IT POLITICS. JUST ONE MORE THING DONT FORGET THE AIRPORT TAX WHEN LEAVING, IT CHANGES QUITE OFTEN SO CHECK WHAT IT IS BEFORE YOU CHANGE YOUR LAST MONEY.

• prinjon's Profile Photo

Beware the airport : when you...

by prinjon Written Aug 24, 2002

Beware the airport : when you leave, you have to pay a tax (about 15$ in 2000) So keep a bit of money even if you are willing to go back home ...
    Also, I learnt that red ink is only permitted to the royal family so do not try to write a red message to a thailand person. You might offend him !
    Do not have your leg towards a person has it is considered has an insult to him or her. Think this meaning is common spread in Asia...

Instant Answers: Bangkok