Patpong & Prostitution, Bangkok

by LotusV8
  • Patpong & Prostitution
    by pmarshuk
  • vpas's Profile Photo

Don't go to this place!!

by vpas Written Jan 4, 2014

We went to Heavenly massage parlour for a massage. It was in Soi 7, Sukhamvit Road, where our hotel was located and seemed to be convenient to us. I was having a foot massage by one of the ladies. From the word go she was rude and unpleasant in stark contradiction to my past experiences in other massage centers all over Thailand. I asked her why she was not massaging properly and why was she being rude, to which she said that she was tired and that she hated Indians. After 10 minutes, I told her to stop the massage, I was supposed to pay 250 THB for a one hour massage, but even though I told her to stop after ten minutes I was asked to pay the whole amount. I said I was willing to pay the whole amount if someone would do the massage for me properly without being rude, for which I was yelled at for being an Indian and almost handed blows. I left the money and went away from a screaming lady.
    If you read my pages, you will find very very few negative comments about places from me. This is one hellish place. I wish someone would take action against them.

• elhombre30's Profile Photo

Do not go Upstairs!

by elhombre30 Updated Oct 12, 2011

I have to share this story. This is really something serious and hopefully you can avoid this scenario.

As I have mentioned in my previous statements that reading travel blogs is one of the things i love to do during my free time. And I have read this same story I have experienced therefore I manage to escape and did the right move.

It was late evening in Patphong and me my boy friend wanted to spend the night in this known sex city. We go around the busy and full of neon lights streets and you can immediately notice sex workers and go go dancers outside the bars. Its one of the entertainment attractions in Bangkok making it so famous for being the Sex City. There are several fixers who will approach you and worst even drag you inside their bars. They are not an English country so they won't even bother to say Hi or Hello and would just drag you. All you need to say is "NO. THANK YOU" if you want to refuse!

A man approached us with his small placard saying "BEER for 100 Baht only". He did a lot of sales talk about the go go dancer and the "live show". We went with him since he told us there is no entrance fee and all we need to pay is 100 Baht per beer. Not bad at all!

So went with him, going way on the 1st floor then second floor... then 3rd floor... ITS DIRTY WAY UP... then 4th floor.

We enter and saw the real Bangkok at night! Now wonder its called Sex City. I can't discuss the full details of what I saw but its definitely DIFFERENT. Only in Bangok I suppose.

A group of 3 or 4 ladies approached us immediately and offered a beer. We asked for 2. Remember we are gay, so I am not interested to them at all. Hahahha!

After 5 mins I said I want to go out! I don't like it anymore. The 4 girls stand up and block my way out. I wonder why and look at them strangely. One girl said "SIT DOWN"! I said wow! All I need to do is get out because I do not like the place but here comes a stranger doesn't allow me to.

I sat down and feeling so strange. And that moment of time, I recall the blog I read. This must be the story I read. So all I wanna do now is get out.

The 4 girls blocking my way was now 6 girls! Hahaha this is funny but really scares me. I don't know whats happening so I said I want to go out and asked for the bill. One girl pointed the cashier area but still blocking the door way out with 5 others.

When I was about to pay the beer (2 bottles) supposedly for 200 Baht, the cashier handed me over the bill and I was shocked. Here's the bill.
    Beer 200.00
    Entrace Fee 1,500.00 Baht
    Blah blah 500 (Blah blah blah fee... I don't remember the charges listed)

So I freak out and said "I thought its gonna be 100 baht per beer only and no entrance fees and other hidden charges". They don't speak english so the only thing she was trying to say is PAY ME PAY ME!

I don't wanna pay that much cause that's not what the fixer told us. We were arguing but its no where to go because they can't understand my english. She was trying to contact someone in her cellphone and group of go go dancers approached us held us so we can't escape.

That time, it feel so disgusted! My friend wanted to pay all but I stand strong and fight what is right. I told him to stay foot behind me. Do not be afraid and i'll argue more. The cashier told me that someone is coming up stairs, i think a police officer. That triggers me to decide, I held my friends left arm and shouted RUN! RUN! RUN! (hahahahahaha) that experience was totally frightening. We run down from 4th floor to the ground floor in just few seconds.. Taking 3 stairways steps at a time. At last we were out and far from the bar but we noticed several finger marks (some marks are really deep and reddish)

Again, this scenario was all in the blogs I read. But what I read was extremely frightening. The blogger said he waited for the police thinking he might get it fixed. However, It end up worst cause the police and 2 other men continuously hit him and drag him downstairs. Left him outside the bars bloody! He didn't complain and went home straight to his hotel with his wrecked shirt and bloody nose and extreme marks.

So you have to be careful in Patphong! Your dream vacation may end up a bad dream. SO DO NOT GO UPSTAIRS!

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo

Patpong

by deeper_blue Written May 3, 2010

If you are headed for the red light area, you need to be careful of your belongings and not get involved with the wrong crowd. If you get very drunk you are leaving yourself open to be ripped off or worse still robbed. Take care.

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Patong District of Bangkok

by GracesTrips Written Jul 15, 2008

I haven't been yet but have stumbled upon this information. The Patong District is like the red light district filled with bars, girls, men who look like girls, nudity, sex offerings, etc. You get the idea. Your curiosity may get the better of you because people trying to coax you in will tell you it only costs 100 baht (US$3.00) to look and have a coke. Once you're inside, you are hounded by the "girls" to buy them drinks and it will be for all of them. I've read stories the the bar tab then becomes 2900-4100 baht (US$87-$124). I suppose you can try to leave without paying the bill but then what happens? You're in a different country and how will they react?

I think it's best to avoid such areas. I've read the shows are actually a bit bizarre. Topless and/or nude "girls" throwing ping pongs, blunt darts, bananas at the patrons. I'm not too interested.

The link below is a detailed story of someone who experienced this and comments left by others.

• Singles

• Snipernurse's Profile Photo

Prostitution in Thailand

by Snipernurse Written May 24, 2008

I can't tell you how many times my buzz was ruined by seeing some old Westerner looking guy with a young local girl. Don't support the prostitution industry in Southeast Asia. It is disgraceful and disgusting and if you participate in this industry you should be ashamed of yourself.

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

Roll up, roll up for "pretty" girls and ladyboys

by smirnofforiginal Written Oct 16, 2007

There was more than one occasioni n Bangkok where my husband was physically removed from me whilst some men tried to usher him into a girlie bar. It was not done in a sinister way and much smiling and many choruses of "no thank you, I'm with her" very quickly resulted in them leaving us alone again.... but it was very annoying and borded on insulting.

• boocik04's Profile Photo

Pimps!

by boocik04 Written Sep 18, 2007

I was surprised to see that the pimps working along the streets of Bangkok are not Thai but Indians. They would approach you as if they want to congratulate you for something and then they would ask, "Do you know why I am a lucky man, sir?" (Don't know why they use this line). Usually, the Western tourists (mostly, Caucasian men) would just smile and say, "No, thank you" and leave.

• JohnandSuzie's Profile Photo

Lady Boys

by JohnandSuzie Written Sep 13, 2007

The Lady boys that entertain you can be fun to watch but whatever you do don't take the p**** as they can get nasty, also you may be hassled for a photo with them.........if you do you will have to pay and 2 ladyboys in the photo thats 2 payments.

• joleson's Profile Photo

Ride to a Ping Pong Side Show

by joleson Written Jan 28, 2007

A ping pong side show may sound like an interesting feat. Unless you're looking for a sex show, don't fall for this. There are some very seedy places that have some crazy stuff going on. I recommend staying away from anything that remotely sounds like ping pong.

I had a number of great and cheap massages while I was in Bangkok. Sometimes a massage can be confused for something more. Again, this is something you should be aware of and understand what you're getting into. A Thai massage doesn't necessarily mean something more, but be cautious. Many establishments don't have a place for your wallet, keep track of your stuff!

• Study Abroad

• Do not stay in the Nana area

by Paul999 Updated Jan 18, 2007

Whilst people makes jokes about Bangkok it can be a very dangerous place. Particularly the Nana area at night when there are many dangerous and infamous lady boys just looking to mug, rob, attack or drug foreign tourists. Remember these lady boys have no other source of income apart from crime. Their attacks can be random and they attack in groups down quiet streets in the early hours. The Norwich Union insurance company has described Bangkok as the most dangerous place on earth for tourists based on insurance claims. Don't drink too much and don't stay in the Nana area, anywhere else in Bangkok is safer. The Amari Boulevard hotel is dangerous because the guards do not stop lady boys entering the building to follow guests. You have been warned.

• Nellie_C's Profile Photo

Guys: Watch Your Jewels- ones your mama gave you!

by Nellie_C Written Oct 23, 2006

There are transvestites all over Thailand, especially in Bangkok. Lots of them are high on drugs, so please watch your wallets & "private areas." The guy that i was travelling with got violated from just saying hello to a tranny. My friend was just being nice and the transvestite also tried to pick-pocket my friend! BE WATCHFUL!

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

If you take your kids to Patpong

by thedouglas Written Jan 12, 2006

Pole dancing visible from the street

If you visit Patpong as a family, as we did, be aware of the lack of sensitivity most of the door and roaming touts will demonstrate to the tender years of your brood! My kids were 18, 16 and 13 - and some of the touts approached my husband, but backed away when they saw or he gestured to the kids - BUT most of them had no concern - my poor old son had been hearing jokes about ping pong bars - and was a bit confused initially - but no more! If you move around as a family - put dad up front to fend off the onslaught of well meaning roaming advertisers!

Funny experience we had when we were on our own was tout offering to pick up my husband after I went to sleep! I assured him I was a VERY light sleeper!

• School Holidays

• krisfromthevalley's Profile Photo

Watch out for the ping pong shows!

by krisfromthevalley Updated Jan 26, 2005

In Patpong, near the merchants, there are Thais coming up to you with pieces of paper and telling you about the ping pong show (where girls dance and do tricks). They rip you off once you get in and sit down. They tell you that you'll get cheap beer but when you get the beer they ask for more money bc of the show. Ya, we wanted to see the show but weren't intending on paying more than the beer.

• Arjaree's Profile Photo

Miss Tiffany

by Arjaree Written Nov 15, 2004

Miss Tiffany 2004

Who would imagine the beautiful woman in this picture wasnt actually born as a woman. I would not know. Anyway, she is now a woman, looks really like a woman and pretty cute!#$%#@

Miss Tiffany is a contest like Miss Universe and Miss World, just the contestants are transexuals. This show was first originated in Pattaya, Thailand.

• Gay and Lesbian

• rsleisk's Profile Photo

Happy Hours?

by rsleisk Updated Oct 15, 2004

A day in the life of Bangkok...

If you are a male walking the streets of Bangkok you will inevitably be approached by the persistant salesmen who tell you about "Happy Hour".

Its funny... they ALL have the SAME brochure that depicts the SAME 'women' that work at the SAME massage place. The best Thai word I learned was "MAI OW!"=NO"! when it came to these guys. A little Thai goes a long way, for they will leave you alone after you say that.

• Business Travel