Stray dogs, Bangkok

by Paksong
    Let sleeping dogs lie
    by phil_uk_net
  • DennyP's Profile Photo

BEWARE OF STRAY DOGS IN THE STREETS.

by DennyP Updated Dec 26, 2011

BANGKOK
    Like other countries in Asia always beware of stray dogs. The stray dog populations in this city are vast and it is best to keep well away from them at all times..The vast amount of stray dogs in the streets here have rabies.To be bitten by a rabid dog or animal of any kind is an extremely dangerous situation to be in. If you are bitten by a dog/animal here seek medical attention straight away. Dont wait... Some animal welfare groups do their best to try and control this problem. I know that I was always very aware when "out and about" of this dog problem. Usually you will find that the disease is not only limited to dogs...so be very careful if handling any animal here..

• Hiking and Walking

• crisgastardo's Profile Photo

Driver-Hustler

by crisgastardo Written Jul 13, 2011

Especially during peak or rush hours, make sure the meter is on before jumping inside the taxi. These drivers will demand fixed rates from 200 to 300 baht for reasons that they will find ways to escape the heavy traffick. Well, of course, traffick in bangkok city during peak hours is tremendously heavy; escape that as well or else take the train.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

DOGS & RABIES

by balhannah Written Jul 1, 2009

On my last day in Bangkok, I walked a main street, no dogs, within 5 mins I had turned around and come back the same way when I heard Dogs barking. I stopped and turned around to see where they were, at the same time feeling a bite to the leg. This all happened very quick, I don't even know what the Dog looked like, all I know is it hurt and my leg was swollen. As a result of this, I am now on a course of Rabies vaccine over a period of time. As this disease is nasty, and it doesn't matter whether the bite is shallow or deep, rather than take a risk, they have put me on the vaccine.
    I do not know what you can do to prevent being bitten. The Dogs weren't there, then they were! No fences, no yards! I was up todate with Tetanus, so that was lucky.
    IF YOU GET BITTEN IN THAILAND, GO TO THE DOCTOR BECAUSE RABIES IS STILL IN THIS COUNTRY.

• Danger: Scorpions in the Fruits

by opalzebra3 Written Sep 1, 2007

I just got back from Bangkok where one of our companions was stung by a scorpion lurking in a bag of tropical fruits that he bought from a supermarket. He was eating the fruits while watching TV in his hotel room when he felt a very sharp pain on his finger that made him scream. A scorpion fell out of the bag and he promptly killed it. The hospital staff quicky dispatched him to a nearby local hospital where he was given an antidote and some antibiotics. Fortunately my companion had the presence of mind to bring the dead scorpion so the doctors in the emergency room were able to administer the proper antidote. But it set him back a few thousand Baht for the treatment. Be very careful with the local insects and animals, they could be deadly.

• TeriyakiKitty's Profile Photo

Stray Dogs

by TeriyakiKitty Written Jan 15, 2005

Bangkok is home to over 120,000 stray dogs. During my visit we stayed near Khao San Road where there is a medium sized dog about every 20 feet or so. These dogs usually just chill in the area next to tourist's feet while they eat curry and drink Chang beer.... however... dogs do bite. My friend was bitten by a stray scroungy dog not too far from this area and had to be treated for rabies. The next day while walking along the street I saw a tuk-tuk push a dog that was "using the facilities" out of it's way so it could park on the street. The dog was in the middle of doing its business and got a little upset. He turned right towards the first person who happend to walk by him and went straight for the man's calf. The man was Thai and apparently used to this behavior because he pulled out a stick right away and chased the dog off. Don't worry, he didn't hit the dog.. he just waved it in the air enough to make the dog run away.

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo

Stray dogs

by phil_uk_net Updated Jun 1, 2003

Let sleeping dogs lie

Thailand has a major problem with stray dogs. There are dogs everywhere. Most of the time they are quite passive like the one in the photo. Being pack animals though they sometimes congregate and seeing a large pack of dogs roaming around makes me nervous. As far as I am aware, rabies is present in Thailand so if you are bitten seek medical advice. Best just to leave them alone and hope they will leave you alone.

• Paksong's Profile Photo

Beware of stray creatures!

by Paksong Written Apr 28, 2005

Be afraid

Check this fellow out. He was moments away from pouncing on me! Thankfully, he believed instead of the Latin world's siesta! You can find him just off Silom Rd.

Instant Answers: Bangkok