Tuk-tuks, Bangkok

Know about this?

Colorful crooks
    by NYTim
  • Ditched us when we said no more gem or suit shops
    Ditched us when we said no more gem or...
    by Snipernurse
    tuktuk
    by iclee
  • Tuks vs Taxis

by desdeash Written Jul 9, 2013

I'll never take a tuk unless I have a good idea what the price should be. Last May I got a tuk from the train station to Panthip Plaza. The driver wanted 200bt but agreed to 120. I paid him with a tip and did my shopping. Going back to Hua Lampong station I took a metered taxi. It was only 65 baht.

Taxis who won't use meters always cost more,, Around the Palace or Koh Sarn Road the taxis always want a set fare but just go out to the main road and flag one.

When there's 3 people, taxis are often cheaper than MRT or BTS and I've never had a bad experience with a meter cab.

• Treshi's Profile Photo

Be careful of Tuk Tuk drivers!!!

by Treshi Written May 7, 2013

The tuk tuk's are plenty out there for travelling. Always ensure that you bargain and agree on a price to the destination before you get into the tuk tuk and ask them to take you straight to the location without stopping at any other locations. I noticed that most of the tuk tuk drivers tell you a very less rate so that its tempting to get into where unfortunately you end up paying more and more and getting to your location way late than expected as they tend to stop at various places for something called `coupons'.

• Women's Travel
    • Casino and Gambling

• Tuk-Tuk versus meter taxi cost

by guyvr Written Apr 22, 2012

When I take a meter aircon taxi from Hualamphung railway station to my hotel, it cost me, depending on traffic, between 60 and 75 Bath. When I ask a Tuk-Tuk driver hw much he will charge me, they usually ask 200, and never less than 150 Bath. (March 2012)

• Trains

• Common sense.

by HWKOS Written Apr 15, 2012

Thailand is a great place with nice people. If you fall for a scam or trick then it is usually down to your ignorance. Other posters on here have clearly pointed out circumstances where you would not do the same thing in your own home town, so why do you turn your brain off when you are in another country.

Most scammers wont be a really big problem, just walk away. You have two feet ... USE THEM IF YOU FEEL NERVOUS INTIMIDATED OR THREATENED.

If you act like an idiot then people will take you for being one. there are lots of normal police in Thailand, keep your eyes open at all times for them, that way when .... if ... you get into trouble you know where to look.

Demand the meter is on.
    Ask a reception / conc in a DECENT name brand hotel for a Tuk Tuk, they dont scam you as they will get fired if you get shafted from a driver they put you with.
    Split your money and cards up. This way if you are pick pocketed then they might not get it all.

• walterwu's Profile Photo

Tuk-Tuk Conmans

by walterwu Updated Dec 25, 2010

Be warned of tuk-tuk touts that seems very helpful at tourist spots offering you advise and tips. They would tell you the current tourist spot is close and advise you to go to an alternative location.

Case 1: Arrived at Grand Palace via Taxi and was approached by the tuk-tuk touts was told the Grand Palace would be close in the morning for prayers and advised on dress code. While dress code was good advice, the Grand Palace closure was meant to trick you into going to another location using their tuk-tuk.

Case 2: Arrived at Wat Pho from a short walk from Grand Palace and was approached by the tuk-tuk touts and advised the Wat Pho would be close in 1/2 hours time at 3:30pm. They offered to take me to other tourist spot on their tuks tuks instead. I ignored their advise and went to purchase ticket and double checked with the attendance that the Wat Pho only close at 9:00pm.

Case 3: Took a short tuk-tuk ride to go to Seafood Market & Restaurant with a good map on hand. Told the driver that I would only go to Seafood Market & Restaurant. He agreed and while driving there, he drove to another restaurant while driving pass Seafood Market & Restaurant. I refused to eat at the unknown restaurant.

Lesson learned. Never listen to those touts or they may upset your travel plans and ruin your visit in Bangkok.

• Motorcycle

• iclee's Profile Photo

Unannounced side trip by tuktuks

by iclee Written Feb 19, 2009

tuktuk

Tourists are more prone to being brought to unannounced side trip while pledging lower tuktuk fares. Another scam is that drivers will say they get gas stamps/coupons from this 'gem companies/silk companies' and therefore you should feel bad for not obliging.

One tuktuk driver we took asked forthright if he can bring us to a gem factory before bringing us to Wat Phra Kaew. Stay for 15 minutes and he gets a gas coupon even if we do not buy anything. I wanted to go to one so I obliged. Anyway, that's another travel tip.

• nattybabe's Profile Photo

Tuk Tuk Tours

by nattybabe Written Jun 25, 2008

My excuse for falling for this special tuk tuk tour was that I had only just arrived that morning and I hadn't slept in 24 hours and I was waiting to check into my hotel! No excuse I know but that's what I'm going to keep believing!! I was told by a helpful man on the street that today was "Buddha Day" and there were festivities happening at various temples. Ok I said, thanks I'll check them out. Then he hailed me a tuk tuk going by and arranged a 10 baht 4 temple tour. Ok, the man hadn't asked for money or anything so how could this go wrong? Well, as I was taken around to the temples I found that I was too late for the Thai Boxing demonstrations and other temples I went to were actually closed! I checked!

So as my tuk tuk driver drove me around he mentioned that he gets commission (or fuel vouchers) by taking me to various shops in between temples. I agreed to go to one tailer - who were actually very good and I was able to bargain the price a bit - but I didn't agree to go to the jem shop or other awful tourist places that he insisted he take me to. I started to get cross and said that if he doesn't take me to a proper temple he won't get paid. Well what he did was "dump" me at the Marble temple and then announce that it was his lunch time and I would have to make my own way back. Ha!

The moral of the story? If you need to get sucked in by the cheap 10B tour then insist on the places you want to go to and insist that shops are not part of it. Good luck to you - the Thai's are very convincing!

• Snipernurse's Profile Photo

No honest tuk tuk driver

by Snipernurse Written May 23, 2008

Ditched us when we said no more gem or suit shops

Before you go to Bangkok it is essential you realize one thing; there is no honest tuk tuk driver in Bangkok. No matter how nice one may seem, his goal is to take you to a fake temple or gem shop or suit shop and will leave you in a moments notice if he thinks you won't go to any more shops for him. I'm sure you read about how it works with the drivers getting gas vouchers for taking you to gem and jewelry shops. They are safe, but sneaky and could care less about you. Here's what you do. Unless absolutely necessary, do not take a TUk Tuk, get a taxi. The tuk tuks in Bangkok are really uncomfortable, the air in Bangkok is horrible. Take a taxi

• boltonian's Profile Photo

Tuk Tuk Very Cheap

by boltonian Written Apr 9, 2008

If you get into a Tuk Tuk and the price is way less than you expected, this is why.

He will take you not to where you wish to go, but instead to a shop down a back street where you will be expected to buy some cheap tat.

My driver took me to a temple (not the one I had asked for), then to a shop. I told him no, but he ignored me.

I didn't like being in a courtyard with several men.

I threw a fair fare at him and walked off despite his shouts.

Also, Tuk Tuk drivers can be crazy. Time is money so hold on tight.

• ancient_traveler's Profile Photo

BEWARE: the 'mafia' tuk-tuks

by ancient_traveler Written Dec 16, 2007
    Bangkok's tuk tuk

Be careful of the 'mafia' tuk-tuks around touristy areas, who often boasts privileged knowledge of 'secret' or 'special' shopping places and things. Some of them may offer sightseeing tours and unsolicited help to take you places. A short and sweet "no, thanks" will save you from their scams. The same rule applies to taxis.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Unreliable tuk tuk drivers

by SWFC_Fan Updated Oct 12, 2007

Parting of the ways: leaving my tuk tuk

When I took a tuk tuk ride during my visit to Bangkok in September 2007, I was well aware of their reputation for failing to deliver tourists to their requested destinations.

I therefore decided that my tuk tuk ride would be solely for the experience value – I didn’t need to be anywhere, so I’d jump in, see the sights and see what happened!

I agreed a fee of 20 Bahts (0.30 GBP) in advance with the driver for him to take me to the giant standing Buddha at Wat Intharawihan, the Golden Mount and then back to the Grand Palace. I could always ask him to stop at any other interesting sights en route.

The journey started as planned. I visited the giant standing Buddha while my driver waited outside for me for 5 - 10 minutes.

However, when I returned, he told me that the Golden Mount was closed until the afternoon and he would instead take me to another small temple nearby. At this temple, the room containing the “Lucky Buddha” was closed, but a man outside kindly offered me the opportunity to buy jewellery (available today only!) that I could sell back home for 5 times the price!

The next stop was an unscheduled one at a factory, despite me repeatedly telling the driver I wasn’t interested in visiting a factory. I refused to get out, so the driver reluctantly drove on.

We stopped at another small temple where the man who was responsible for its upkeep tried to sell me a variety of tours (which had to be booked that day – the last day of the sales!).

My driver was intent on getting some commission one way or another, so he drove me to a “fashion shop”. I again refused to get out and browse. The driver pleaded with me to do so, in order that he would get a “coupon” for having taken me there. We discussed it for a few minutes and eventually reached an impasse. He established that I wasn’t going to go inside the shop, and I established that he wasn’t going to drive me back to the Grand Palace. I handed him a 20 Baht note and walked back to the palace. No harm done – it was a great experience at very little cost!

• jerjc99's Profile Photo

Bangkok Tuk Tuk Con Artists

by jerjc99 Updated Apr 14, 2007

Some Tuk Tuk drivers are genuinely helpful, fairminded people. They are the exceptions to the rule, and the rule is that most Tuk Tuk drivers are out to get you. Tuk Tuks are not just a disproportionately expensive form of transport, they are a means of conveying you (often against your will) to a whole range of rip-off suppliers, including massively-overpriced seafood restaurants, fake jewellry shops and massage parlours. By all means take a short Tuk Tuk ride, just for the experience, and agree the price before the wheels start to move. But be warned, Tuk Tuks are always more expensive than regular Taxis and they are out to take you for a ride, one way or another!

• RichyBoi's Profile Photo

Conveniently run out of fuel & more

by RichyBoi Updated Mar 27, 2007

Don't bother with the Tuk Tuk's.

I got on one earlier today at a promise of 5 baht.

He took me to many tailors, gem merchants & a tourist office. After refusing to go to any more, the driver turned from a nice guy to a hostile angry mofo.

He intentionally stalled his tuk tuk and claimed he had ran out of fuel... and demanded petrol money. So I sat in the tuk tuk and refused to get out. After traffic kept beeping he magically started it up and stalled it again at a more convenient place.

So after an arguement I got out, didn't pay and walked 1.5 miles back to Koh San in midday heat. He left me in a dodgy area, alone and i'm young so he clearly didn't give a ***.

Stay away from Tuk Tuks!

• Castles and Palaces

• Tuk-Tuk Squatters

by bmike8 Updated Jan 30, 2007

We just came back from Bangkok...we love the food, culture & People are so friendly...but you will get some who are cream of the crop.....Tuk-Tuk squatters

Straight to the point...STAY AWAY from these types !!! They are the biggest scammer of them all...

Nearly everywhere you go you will see Tuk-Tuk squatters parked up 3or4 of them at any one time. They will hassle the crap out of you offering a cheap price to travel, most of the time it was 10Baht..we offered 50Baht and mention no stopping or detours. The Tuk-Tuk squatters agrees and we head off...not this one...this one still tried to scam to a gem shop.

We waited for him to stop and I gave him 10Baht and we walked away, he followed us telling us some story, but at this stage we didnt care. We flagged down a passing Tuk-Tuk.... agree on the terms and off we went. Tuk-Tuk driving around town will mostly try to scam you, but as long you agree on the term of what you want then you should be fine.

Since then I only flag down the ones that are driving around looking for passenges and since then had no trouble with the Tuk-Tuks.

• joleson's Profile Photo

10 Baht for an hour for Tuk Tuk

by joleson Written Jan 28, 2007

If you're trying to get somewhere fast you may hear a tuk tuk driver say he'll take you where ever you want to go for an hour for 10 Baht. He gets a gas card stamp if he takes you to the jewlery place, or clothes place. If you have pleanty of time to kill, get as much touristy things like the temples/Wats as you can in. Don't feel like you have to buy anything if you are enjoying yourself. If they offer you a drink, it will be harder for you to leave without buying anything and without insult. More than once I was told I was cheap and to leave after not wanting to buy a suit.

If you've got thick skin I found it was a great way to see the city for really cheap, we saw most of the Wats in Bangkok in 6 hours. After I while I got sick of the high pressure and it was worth the money to avoid going to these places.

• Motorcycle