Tuk-tuks, Bangkok

Know about this?

Colorful crooks
    by NYTim
  • Ditched us when we said no more gem or suit shops
    Ditched us when we said no more gem or...
    by Snipernurse
    tuktuk
    by iclee
  • Myndo's Profile Photo

Bangkok, go prepared

by Myndo Written Mar 5, 2006

Tuk Tuks and scammers

I am not the first nor the last here to write this.
    The very minute you hit the road in Bangkok and have a look at your map (where are we going next?), you will have someone friendly come to you and offer help. These friendly people are ofte directly related to tuk tuk drivers or shops. They will say anything to get you have a trip with a tuk tuk with stops at many tourist shops.

Mostly this sounds like this:
    "Where do you want to go?" ... "Oh, Wat xyz, that is closed today (or until 2 p.m. or whatever) because of a Buddhist holiday" - Don?t believe it. They don?t close their temples or museums because of that. Always believe your guide book on that and not what people tell you. We were told this 3 times in one day, and it was never true.
    On it goes: "But, I would propose you go to this Wat instead, that is very nice. I can get you a tuk tuk to bring you there. They make special price today because of Buddhist holidays "(or world fair, or because only it is Wednesday or whatever). "They will bring you there for only 20 or 40 Baht.".
    Yes they will. But they will also bring you to a jade shop, a yeweller, a Thai silk shop, a souvenir shop, a .... I think you got it.
    It also does not matter if you really buy something in these shops. They get their commission by just bringing you there.

One more thing that is quite typical for Bangkook is the yewellery scam.
    They try to persuade you that you can make money by buying yewels cheap in Thailand and then reselling it at shops where you live.
    Don?t do this! For once you have no idea what the colorful stones you are offered are really worth if you are no expert. As a normal tourist you won?t even be able to distinct them from fake stones or even glass. Second: you won?t be able to resell them at home (not even at the addresses they may give you, they are not real either). Also don?t trust in any certificates they may show you- paper is patient.
    If there was money in it, they would not need to rely on tourists to do the trade.

• Ines28's Profile Photo

Beware of Tuk tuk drivers near major sights!

by Ines28 Written May 15, 2004

When visiting major sights (e.g. Grand Palace) there are many tuk tuk drivers waiting for innocent tourists and telling them that the sight is closed today or that the entrance is far away or that today is a special government promotion and that they can get very cheap jewellery. Don´t get in the tuk tuk, it is not true!

• Rachelynn's Profile Photo

Gas Vouchers

by Rachelynn Updated Dec 16, 2004

When a taxi or Tuk Tuk driver tells you that he needs to collect gas vouchers before he sends you to your destination, you will need to be firm and say no or get off the car quickly.

These drivers would drive you to jewellery shop and before you know it, you will be purchasing some gems that you would not be needing it.

Unfortunately yes, this is another gem scam.

• Taxis & Tuktuk drivers

by AKaren Updated Jul 8, 2004

Beware!

I had a no. of bad experiences while in bangkok (3rd-7th July 2004). This is one of them. Within just 4 days in bangkok, I encountered one case of a taxi driver taking me to a restaurant other than the one I specified. Since I have never been to the restaurant, I had the bell boy at the hotel to make sure that the driver knows where the particular place is. After the assurance, I hopped onto the cab but lo and behold, I was intentionally brought to one that obviously has some sort of 'reward' system for drivers who bring customers to them.

Another incident was with a tuk tuk driver. Despite having agreed on the price to get to MBK, I was brought to a quiet alley near the hotel and the driver demanded 10 times the agreed amount. Otherwise, he suggested that I follow his 'itenary' to visit factories and restaurants, obviously his "sponsors". I took a picture of the tuk tuk registration nos. See left.

I am not sure what I can do differently to avoid being dubbed by drivers like these. It is all the more frustrating when there seems to be no other way but to keep my fingers crossed and hope to be lucky! I never thought I would say this of a city, but after travelling half the globe, Bangkok is the only city that I would not want to go back to.

• School Holidays

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Unreliable tuk tuk drivers

by SWFC_Fan Updated Oct 12, 2007

Parting of the ways: leaving my tuk tuk

When I took a tuk tuk ride during my visit to Bangkok in September 2007, I was well aware of their reputation for failing to deliver tourists to their requested destinations.

I therefore decided that my tuk tuk ride would be solely for the experience value – I didn’t need to be anywhere, so I’d jump in, see the sights and see what happened!

I agreed a fee of 20 Bahts (0.30 GBP) in advance with the driver for him to take me to the giant standing Buddha at Wat Intharawihan, the Golden Mount and then back to the Grand Palace. I could always ask him to stop at any other interesting sights en route.

The journey started as planned. I visited the giant standing Buddha while my driver waited outside for me for 5 - 10 minutes.

However, when I returned, he told me that the Golden Mount was closed until the afternoon and he would instead take me to another small temple nearby. At this temple, the room containing the “Lucky Buddha” was closed, but a man outside kindly offered me the opportunity to buy jewellery (available today only!) that I could sell back home for 5 times the price!

The next stop was an unscheduled one at a factory, despite me repeatedly telling the driver I wasn’t interested in visiting a factory. I refused to get out, so the driver reluctantly drove on.

We stopped at another small temple where the man who was responsible for its upkeep tried to sell me a variety of tours (which had to be booked that day – the last day of the sales!).

My driver was intent on getting some commission one way or another, so he drove me to a “fashion shop”. I again refused to get out and browse. The driver pleaded with me to do so, in order that he would get a “coupon” for having taken me there. We discussed it for a few minutes and eventually reached an impasse. He established that I wasn’t going to go inside the shop, and I established that he wasn’t going to drive me back to the Grand Palace. I handed him a 20 Baht note and walked back to the palace. No harm done – it was a great experience at very little cost!

• Mahieu's Profile Photo

Tuktuk drivers

by Mahieu Written Nov 28, 2003

I really liked the tuktuk-experience, but if you want to take one, be careful. The driver will often try to persuade you to take you to a silk or jewelry shop or some restaurant. Keep saying no and they will give up eventually and take you where you have to be. If that doesn't help, ask him to stop and get out without paying.

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Beware,be educated and have fun!

by thedouglas Updated Jan 27, 2006

Tuk tuks are great fun! and an essential Bangkok experience. Be aware of touts stopping you with amazing good English, on their way to somewhere close, who are happy to grab your Lonely Planet - and circle highlights etc., - and hail a coincidentally passing tuktuk, negoitiation a 20Baht ride around the whole city! You will be about to start a real journey via travel shops, jewellery stores, tailors, silk factories etc. - happened to me once, and I just said, NO, will pay you plenty fair fare to take me where I want to go. Negotiate the prices, and, if there are more than one passenger, ensure that the price is for the whole fare, not PER PERSON. If they try it on at the other end, raise your voice (assertively, not aggressively), and point out that the negotiated fare was...... , pay and leave. Saving face is most important to them. They will often have a little wry smile, and leave with no trouble at all. Remember that these are poor people, who drive government vehicles, and survive by their wits, and witless tourists. Don't take it too seriously, as any of us who travel to Asia have much more money and resources than these fellows.

I have found that many of the tuktuk drivers in Thailand are amazingly smart and resourceful - and I admire them. Have cultivated a few relationships with them, and the wheeling and dealing stops immediately. They will actually give you very honest and loyal service - and wait for you anywhere. Ours found me in the street near the hotel one night looking for some pills for my ill husband - insisted on taking me to nearest 7Eleven, and refused to accept money.

You simply can't go to Bangkok without experiencing the traffic in a tuktuk! - and the experience of getting to know one of these guys can be great.

Cheers and safe journey to all.

• perseushermes's Profile Photo

Heat ! Carbon Monoxide!

by perseushermes Updated Sep 7, 2005

Tuk Tuk

There is always the temptation of travelling on a Tuk Tuk.

If you really want to experience the heat, carbon monoxide and the dangers of being run over by a huge truck, by all means.

The Tuk Tuk driver will turn off the engine when stuck in traffic and you will enjoy the "sweat" of your life!

Don't forget to bargain before boarding the "infamous" Tuk Tuk. Be prepared for some close shaves!

• Skibbe's Profile Photo

Tuk-tuk Con Tour

by Skibbe Written Jan 24, 2004

Wat Indraviharn, a favorite stop on the con tour

You will likely be approached at places like the Grand Palace and Wat Po and told, falsely, that they are closed today but for a very cheap price a tuk-tuk will take you around the city. The person will seem official and say they are with the Tourism Authority of Thailand. But the TAT doesn't send people out that way. Anyway, if you take the tuk-tuk you will see lesser sights squeezed between trips to tailor stores, jewelers, etc, whether you're interested or not.

They may also take you to a travel agent who will imply they are associated with the government. They will book you at a much higher price than you could get on your own. And if you meet an agent named Ninja, run the other way FAST.

• tuktuk scam indeed!

by gemi80 Written Mar 16, 2006

tuktuk

i've read it here to beware of tuktuk drivers..boy, it was helpful...not an hour had passed since we've settled in our hotel, we decided to go to siam square.we thought, it's just near, so it's better to take the tuktuk..but then we got in a debate with the driver coz he insisted that we drop by at his friend's store so he could get free gas..and we said " NO NO NO"..if we havent read it here about the scams, we would have said ok ok....but instead we stepped out of the tuktuk and hailed a taxi instead...never again, we tried riding a tuktuk...if your destination is just near, just walk..if its not near enough then take a taxi...it's better to spend more than around 20baht than be a victim...trust me, our hotel staff even discouraged us from riding a tuktuk....

• tna's Profile Photo

Nice Old Man - University Professor

by tna Updated Jun 2, 2005

My husband and I believe ourselves to be pretty savvy and had prepared ourselves before arriving in Bangkok for all the possible scams etc (or so we thought). While walking to the palace, we were greeted by a friendly-faced old man, carrying an umbrella and a briefcase. He asked us where we were from, and he told us he was a professor on his way to University (flashed us some sort of ID and pointed across the park to the University's location). After some friendly chit-chat he then proceeded to tell us that the palace was closed due to celebrations (a line we knew to expect from touts and taxi drivers, but one we weren't expecting from a nice old University professor). Next thing we know, he's arranging a tuk tuk (taxi) for us, explaining how we can avoid getting scamed by taking the ones with the green license plates because the yellow ones were illegal (or something to that effect). Next thing we know, we're thanking him and off we set in the tuk tuk who is going to take us to some obscure temple. But as soon as he stops first at a silk shop we recognise we've been had...so we toss him a few coins and head off on foot back to the palace, which of course....is open.

We got along absolutely fine for the rest of the trip via public bus. You can get a map with the bus routes from the tourism offices...and you can save more money for the great food!

• Treshi's Profile Photo

Be careful of Tuk Tuk drivers!!!

by Treshi Written May 7, 2013

The tuk tuk's are plenty out there for travelling. Always ensure that you bargain and agree on a price to the destination before you get into the tuk tuk and ask them to take you straight to the location without stopping at any other locations. I noticed that most of the tuk tuk drivers tell you a very less rate so that its tempting to get into where unfortunately you end up paying more and more and getting to your location way late than expected as they tend to stop at various places for something called `coupons'.

• Women's Travel
    • Casino and Gambling

• Icha's Profile Photo

Dont Trust Friendly Tuk Tuk Driver Prommises

by Icha Written Mar 14, 2006

I only have 3 days only to explore the temples and intresting object in bangkok, i decided to walk around for near location, and take tuk tuk for far location.
    A friendly Tuk Tuk driver offer me too help look around bangkok, and he promissed to take me to intresting temples that I really really want to visit today.
    Inttrested in his offering, and remembering this is my first time to Bangkok, and short time i have, his offer is quite a good offer to me.
    First stop, quite far away, i took about half hours to get in to the store., it was a jewellery store. no buy here thank you.
    Next is another far away store with busy traffic of bangkok, took me another 40 minutes to get to the store. It was a souvenir shop
    Then he ask for lunch first before start the temple tour,
    At the restaurant, He said he has no money for lunch, then i said i will pay his lunch , he also order a bottle of beer, on my expense., total spent for this lunch were about Us$60. ( i began to feel bad about this, its already 3PM that time! and i havent see any of temple, as i begin to ask him when can we start ?
    Then he ask me: " How much will you give me tips to take you around bangkok temples ?"
    (What!!!, i havent even see any temples, and already waste my half day, and he asking for tips...?),
    Ok to make the things well, I said i will give him $5 for each temple he get me.

Then he take me to temple (quite ok), after that we went to a bad looking abandoned temple, no even 1 tourist around., When i protest him, he said its already late afternoon, all temple already closed...!

The climax of this situation, is he dropped me in one corner of the bangkok street and hand me over to another tuktuk driver to take me back to hotel (it s 5 o clock already), and he asking me for his $5 tips! and go away......
    Sad..sad.. why its happen to me..? I lost half valuable day, 1 pay for $60 lunch, he got a free lunch and a beer..., AND I GOT NOTHING..!!!!!

Hope this will not happen to other tourist visiting Bangkok, dont trust any good offer from Tuktuk driver.

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo

Tuk-tuks are scary

by BorneoGrrl Updated Mar 28, 2006

Daredevil tuk-tuk

I've only had one tuk-tuk ride ever and that's more than enough. For starters, they drive like they own the road, ignore the traffic lights and go against traffic. I don't know if my travel insurance define tuk-tuks as one of mode of public transport. The other thing is that as a tourist, you will be charge a different fee (higher) and since the tuk-tuks are open ended, you'll breathe in more of Bangkok's special road pollution

• RoyJava's Profile Photo

Cockroach Named TukTuk

by RoyJava Updated Sep 9, 2006

tuktuk-bangkok

Like a coughing cockroach this sputtering three-wheeler is moving its way, wanna be faster than a taxi, and still wanna be number one with a lot of tourists! The TukTuk flies around the corner, kickin' up a cloud of blue smoke (for sure!) and coughing like asthmatic hippo's. Legendary while chasing away the human-drawn rickshaws, keep in mind you do breathe all the lead-soaked air, there's no air-con, it is not that cheap anymore, and the TukTuk drivers do speak less English than taxi drivers. Still these cockroaches belong in the cultural picture of Bangkok, and nobody can resist the call "Hey U, Where U Go?", so still bargain when go for a TukTuk!

• Adventure Travel