Kanchanaburi Favorites

• austarman's Profile Photo

Play with some Tigers at the Tiger Temple

by austarman Updated Mar 8, 2009

A sleepy Tiger rolls over

Favorite thing: The Tiger temple in Kanchanaburi is a buddhist forest monastry known as Wat Pa Luangta Bua Yannasampanno.
    The temple is about 37kms from the town of Kanchanaburi.
    The tigers have been tamed by the Buddhist monks that live there and they are quite tame.
    Some people say they have been drugged as during the day they can be quite lazy and sleepy.
    This is unlikely and is vehmently denied though by the staff and they say they have grown up with the Monks and have been tamed by them many since they were quite young.
    Also they are well fed and mostly nocturnal so it is no surprise that they sleep a lot during the day.

Fondest memory: Getting up close and personal with these beautiful big animals was quite the highlight in Kanchanaburi for me.
    You can pat them and play with them while they roll around and rest in there own private canyon.
    Bright colours, loud noises and sudden movements are not allowed though and the staff will lead you to the tigers by hand and take photo's for you with at least 5 or 6 of the tigers with your own camera for 1000 baht.
    Website
    www.tigertemple.com

• Eco-Tourism
    • National/State Park

Sai Yok Waterfall

by CandS Updated May 27, 2006

Sai Yok Waterfall

Favorite thing: We took a longtail boat down the Kwai River to the pretty Sai Yok waterfall one day. We were the only two on our tour (and so were very spoilt!) and we were left on a raft tied up to the waterfall while we had lunch...very nice! :) After lunch we had a shower under the falls then relaxed a bit before heading off...

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Photography
    • Cruise

Sai Yok Noi Waterfall

by CandS Updated Apr 18, 2006

Sai Yok Noi Waterfall

Favorite thing: We stopped off quickly one day at the Sai Yok Noi Waterfall...there were heaps of locals and some tourists there enjoying the cool water from the falls... There are plenty of places to stand/sit under the falls or in the flowing water. It is a really beautiful area!!!

• Adventure Travel

POW Cemetery & Museum

by CandS Updated Feb 27, 2006

POW Cemetery

Favorite thing: On our way to the River Kwai we stopped off at the POW Cemetery and Museum...it was very interesting and very sad but good to see. You can buy flowers for 20 baht in the museum to put at the memorial or you can just walk around and look at the grave stones. The museum is very interesting to look through also...

• Museum Visits

Hellfire Pass

by CandS Written Nov 6, 2005

Hellfire Pass

Favorite thing: Hellfire Pass is a 'famous' cutting through a mountain created in World War 2 by the POW's... It's about 80 kms north west of Kanchanaburi. There is a museum and walking track at Hellfire Pass and you can also get audio guides (for approximately 50 baht per person) to tell you all about the history of the area.

Lava Cave

by CandS Written Nov 4, 2005

Inside the lava cave

Favorite thing: One day we went for a longtail boat ride down the River Kwai to a cave...I didn't know what to expect but it ended up being a propper cave with staligmites & staligtites (sp?)...not only that it had BATS! Argh! AND even worse...jumping spiders!!!!! Needless to say, I wasn't overly keen on being in that cave...

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Adventure Travel

• astro_kerryn's Profile Photo

Internet Access in Kanchanburi

by astro_kerryn Written Mar 3, 2005

Favorite thing: A good selection of places to use the net in and around town, unfortunately yes, games are BIG with the school kids here and they usually crowd into the places near the center of town. The best places to go to avoid this are where the guest houses are located and the most popular along the road leading to the “Bridge”.
    Internet speeds vary depending on the time of day, best in the morning and worst in the early evening.

• astro_kerryn's Profile Photo

Butterflies in national parks around Kanchanaburi

by astro_kerryn Written Mar 3, 2005
    Flutterby!

Favorite thing: Anywhere you go in the national parks around Kanchanaburi you are surrounded by butterflies of diverse size, colour and type! They literally swarm around you which is a very magical experience! It is so hard to capture this with your camera, but it kept me in awe for hours on end!! At least this is how it was in June!

• National/State Park

• Local crafts

Pretty

Favorite thing: There are pretty things worth to buy for after all! I've seen this one while waiting for the train to the Nam Tok Station to see the Death Railway and the prices are just as cheap anyway. I was supposed to buy a very colorful dress in the other side of this long lines stores but hubby told me we'll go back in this station but we didn't..

Fondest memory: Anyhow, they also have some nice things to remember to!

• Theme Park Trips

• Riding a long tail boat

Front-guest,I am!

Favorite thing: We visit the Bridge of the River Kwai by overlooking to it! I mean, we rented a long tail boat from the Jeath Museum and we were riding in it through the famous River Kwai. It was alot of fun though, I hate the very hot day...It's also advisable to take a ride a long tail boat from there to the River Kwai to fully see the well-knowns of the river karaoke of the locals. You can witness some very beautiful houses of the rich Thais living beside the river.

• Peaceful

Best for retreat...

Favorite thing: Usually, the friends that had gone there, they like Kanchanaburi for soul renewal and a peaceful retreat away from the hassle and bustle of the chaoitic city or from the place where they come from. I've seen this place very nice for just waiting for the sun to go down and just listening for the birds singing...specialy if you stayed in this river houses..They are very pretty to look at though..

• Pretty Triangle

Burma-Thailand Golden Triangle

Favorite thing: After visiting the JEATH MUSEUM, I saw this very pretty golden color phrang which dominates infront of the gate before entering the Wat which I didn't know. The golden 3 phrangs is the Burma-Thailand Golden Triangle.

• Pose for a while

by yen_2 Written Aug 30, 2003

At the Cemetery

Favorite thing: When we visited the war cemetery, I was very anxious to have a pose and the background was all those graves. Whou didn't? I mean, it's not really very important but for the heck of this VT tips, I didn't smiling at all with all the backdrop of the graves...=(

Fondest memory: I've seen and done it also. Checking out the names of the POW's and noticed that some and many of them were very young when they died. It's worth checking out though..

• Elephant riding!

by yen_2 Updated Aug 18, 2003

Ele..

Favorite thing: Too hot and too humid! but, managed to still be okey..The train we took in going to the Death Railway don't have a toilet and it took us 1/2 hrs to get there so, I waited...after lunch as we had it around 1:30pm, the guide told us that we'll proceed to the elephant area..I was happy...and we ride the ele for an hour..touring the area and I even had a chance to be the driver! that was pretty damn consolation! It was superb though!

Fondest memory: I rode the ele!!! And it was my first time...Great,eh?

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Chinese Cemetary

by herzog63 Written Aug 11, 2003

Chinese Cemetary

Favorite thing: Kanchaburi is full of cemetaries! It is one of the few places in Thailand that you see cemetaries as Thais, I believe use the cremation method. And the urns are placed in Temples So they don't have big plots of ground honoring the dead.

• School Holidays

Instant Answers: Kanchanaburi

Comments

Kanchanaburi Favorites

Reviews and photos of Kanchanaburi favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kanchanaburi sightseeing.