Ko Larn - Coral Island, Pattaya

Ko larn pier
    Ko larn beach
    Ferry to ko larn
  • JoelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Refreshing change from busy south Pattaya

by JoelWillTravel Written Feb 9, 2006

Koh Larn Island is a nice Island about 20 mins speedboat ride from Pattaya. If you get there nice and early you'll have the beach to yourself. The water is nice and clean and the sand nice and golden. You can snorkel, jetski, parasail or banana boat near here. There is also a small shop selling souvenirs, and freshly cooked Thai food. You can also hire sun loungers and other equipment. When I was there in 2004 I hired a football to play with on the beach. The best thing about Koh Larn Island is you will not get bothered by any vendors trying to sell you things and there is no sign of traffic unlike South Pattaya and Jomtien beaches. I payed around 1000 baht in 2004 for a speedboat to take me to Koh Larn from Jomtien, the boat also waited for me all day and returned late in the afternoon.

The main beach on Koh Larn Another picture of the beach Some food we bought while on the beach Another shot approaching the beach Me relaxing in the cool water
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• aukahkay's Profile Photo

Sun, sand and sea in the Gulf of Siam

by aukahkay Written Jan 18, 2006

I took a boat across to Coral Island where I had a go at parasailing. Running along a pontoon with parachute harnessed around your waist, you get airborne before you realise it. There is a great sense of exhilaration and freedom as you sail 50m above sea level for 10 minutes. The cost - B100.
    A day-trip to Coral Island comes with return boat transfers and lunch on the island. Rememebr to bring along ample drinks as drinks cost twice as much as those sold in Pattaya.
    The boat ride to Coral Island takes about one hour and is rather rough and bumpy. I normally do not suffer from motion sickness but this particular ride made me quite queasy and nauseous when I arrived.

The crystal clear waters of Coral Island This boat trip to Coral Island was quite bumpy Parasailing over the Gulf of Siam Relax on the beach under an umbrella

• bradbeaman's Profile Photo

Snorkling at Koh Larn

by bradbeaman Updated Mar 28, 2007

When I asked around they told me that Nual Beach in the south of Koh Larn has the best snorkling. There was some good snorkling around the sunken barge and at the point (just to the right of the barge). Later I was told if I went to the right of the point the snorkling gets a lot better but the risk of jet ski boats increase. Just beyond the barge the water depth goes to 30 feet where there are scuba divers. You can see the scuba boat in the background of this picture. I snorkeled out there but could not get down far enough to see the reef using my snorkel and no fins. Our tour package took us only to Tein Beach so we had to rent a scooter at 300 Bt per hour to get to Nual Beach. We took a wrong turn otherwise it would only take a few minutes by scooter. The snorkel and mask we rented there for 100 Bt. They had fins but they were too small for me.

• Island Trip

by GibJoe Written Apr 9, 2008

We negociated a price for one of the fast boats, and to be honest it was relatively cheap. The ride to the island is around 25 minutes from Pattaya Beach. In the Island you can laze about in one of the deck chairs, and as we got there quite early had the whole beach to ourselfs. The sand and water is much cleaner than in Pattaya Beach and the beach is by far more peaceful. After a few hours lazing at the beach I hired a moped to see what was in the island and got to the highest point (after getting lost) which has a magnificient view. The fast boat actually waits for you in the beach during all day.

• iNorv9's Profile Photo

Not all that impressive

by iNorv9 Written Jan 8, 2006

We had a half-day to burn, so we decided to take the ferry out to Koh Larn. The roundtrip ticket cost about 200 baht and the journey lasted approx. 45 minutes each way. The island itself has some eroded coral, meager beaches and some gimmicky sea toys available for inflated prices. Some people tried snorkeling, but subsequently reported that they barely saw any fish. If you couldn't already tell, Koh Larn leaves a lot to be desired.

Bottom-line: Boat ride to the same below-average beaches that Pattaya has to offer.

Koh Larn Ferry

Banana Boat

by voodo0 Written Oct 16, 2006

The Banana Boat is powered by being pulled with a rope behind a jet ski. You are at the mercy of the guy driving the jet ski and these guy are mean. They get you going behind the jet ski then they will make a sharp turn and the banana boat turns over with every one on it going in all directions. Me and my frens went on one. It was really fun and bouncy. Our boat turned over 4-5 times.

It cost 350 Baht per person. Each boat can accomodate up to 6 person. But if it's too heavy, they might reduce it into 4 person per boat.

Get ready for the exciting ride!!!

Sun, Beach, Bikini...

by voodo0 Written Oct 16, 2006

Coral Island or Ko Lan is a small island situated 7.5 km west Pattaya. Ko Lan is accessible by speedboat and ferry. The ferry departs hourly, and is a 45-minute ride costing just 20 Baht each way. Speedboats are more expensive, but can reach the island in less than 15 minutes. Ko Lan has several beaches, which are known for their cleanliness, relaxing atmosphere, soft white sand and crystal-clear water.

There are many activities here for visitors to enjoy, some include para sailing, snorkeling, jet ski, banana boat, of course swimming in tropical waters, and there is even a shooting range located here. Because the island is mountainous there are also some spectacular views for those that like to take a few snapshots. Koh Larn is also very suited for bicycling and hiking, many bicycling events have been held here. Many movie production companies have used the island for movie shoots. There are many accommodations that will make you feel right at home here. Then there are the places to eat many right on the beach, serving up fresh, catch of the day sea food. Many visitors come to stay their entire vacation on Koh Larn and return year after year, kind of a home away from home for some.

Speeding to Coral Island

• xymmot's Profile Photo

Beach Therapy

by xymmot Updated Oct 13, 2010

If you have many days in Thailand, one of the fun things to do is go to the beach. Since they say that Patong beaches are poluted, everyone in the know goes to Coral island about a 45 minute boat ride away. Over there the beaches are clean and for 100 bahts you can have a lawn chair for two and get service, and dine on the beach as you bake away and watch the many tourist.

meeting new friends at the beach we get to meet the Russians from Seberia in Dec summer fun in the winter another one of those days

• tattoomonster's Profile Photo

a lazy day in paradise

by tattoomonster Written Mar 15, 2010

we went out on a ferry on a sunday morning about 0830 it was 30 baht each under a euro 45 mins ride 2 mins walk too beach ! 100 baht for big sunbed for day ! cheap food on beach and fluids! very cheap clothing and nik naks swimsuits towels,
    last ferry i think is around 1630,we left at three thirty highly relaxing day out jet skis for hire shooting up the hills all u need

ferry terminal koh larn beach too right of ferry terminal the speed boats at koh larn east reach life jackets on ferry
    • Birdwatching

• Under water walk

by cyrus994 Written Jun 24, 2009

pattaya without koh larn (coral ) island is like tea without a tea-bag.....hire a boat however much it costs...go to coral island...and the firts thing to do is the under water walk...they asked us for 1500 baht per person but being a group we negotiated 1000 baht per person and it was worth it...fishes eating food of our own hands...walking under the ocea on the bed....amazing

• STRATOS79's Profile Photo

KO LAN

by STRATOS79 Written Mar 17, 2009

Coral islands (Ko Larn) are situated at about 8 km (45 – 50 minutes) away from Pattaya City. Laem Bali high port can be found on the end of Walking street where you can choose between a normal or speed boat. Tawaen Beach , is the most famous place of the island Ko Larn has a relaxing atmosphere and clear waters but it is best to be avoid during the high season because it is too overcrowded

• krisptkat's Profile Photo

Better than Pattaya beach

by krisptkat Written Feb 21, 2008

Beaches do matter. Be careful beaches vary on this island. Did have some excellent snorkling, also picked up a lot of bottles from the ocean floor. It was fun going out there on the big boats. Got to meet many people. The ride to the island costs 20 baht one way, and takes about 45 minutes. Chair rental is 50 baht. Nobody touched my stuff. A few vendors. Some selling ice cream.

• Diving and Snorkeling

Parasailing

by voodo0 Written Oct 16, 2006

Para sailing behind speed boat, is a total kick, I mean your up there flying like a bird. The the wind in your face, ocean below your feet and nothing but sky above, what can I say. This activity is not for the faint at heart, when you come down your adrenalin will be pumping. What a rush. Cost for this little attitude adjustment 300 Bahts. The trip may only last about a minute, but the after affects go much longer than that.

• Adventure Travel

Henna Tattoo...

by voodo0 Written Oct 16, 2006

Tattoo artists are scattered throughout the island for temporary henna designs created right on the beach by wandering henna tattoo artists. Tattoos begin at 400 Baht. You can bargain to get a cheaper price.

I din get myself one coz I had a permenant one... Two of my frens did it which cost them 400 baht and 450 baht, respectively.

Temporary Henna Tattoo

• GlobalTrekker59's Profile Photo

Good beaches

by GlobalTrekker59 Written Apr 9, 2008

Me and a friend caught the hourly ferry from the Pattaya pier to Kho Larn the other day. The trip was 20 Baht each and took about 45 minutes to get there. We sat on the upper deck and chilled for the ride. Getting there and walking down the pier you are bombarded with folks trying to sell you stuff and or offering you a ride to one of the several beaches you have to choose from. We chose the nearest beach and took thw ride from hell in a taxi with a serious oil burnimng problem. When got to the beach we hired a few beach chairs at 100 baht each and kicked back and relaxed. The beach is full of stores along the beach selling both food, clothing and souvenirs. There are some really good bargains to be found here, and haggling is a way of life in Thailand at venues like this. Unfortunetly our day was cut short by a thunderstorm, but by the time we were half back across to Pattaya, the sun was out and the skies were clear! Normal I guess.

Instant Answers: Pattaya

• pusangkalye.net's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM

My verdict on Koh Larn Beach?
    It's okay. Except that I have seen so many beautiful beaches that this one looks rather typical to me.Nothing really to wow for.Philippine beaches for the win! Peace

• robertop's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Koh Larn is a wonderful location,While staying for 5 nights in Pattaya,we had planned to be for 1 day on this lovely island,with its nice beach and crystal clear water.As we liked it much,we prefered it to the grayish waters of Pattaya, and came back for another day of beach and especially bathing pleasure.We had there nice seafood dinners.February 2013 had splendid sunny weather,so we could enjoy much our stay.If you want to go to Thailand,choose the month of February,it is not that crowded periodv as some might say ,but the temperatures around 30 degr,C are ok and no rain at all. We visited for five days Bangkok,then five days Pattaya,wen t to lovely botanic/animal garden Nong Noch nearby and saw the remnants of ancient capital Ayuthaia.Alcazar,the transvestite show in Pattaya,was also worth the money. Highlights in Bangkok are certainly the many wonderful palaces and temples. The floating market in Damnoen Saduak impressed me less,than the boat ride on the channels made up to this location.Last but not least,you should ride a elephant and enjoy their friendly style.
    But don't go to the Tiger Zoo,not far from Pattaya,which is dull and rather dirty and is not worth the money