Prachuap Khiri Khan Restaurants

• Food, Ploen Samut restaurant, Prachaup Khirikhan.
    Food, Ploen Samut restaurant, Prachaup...
    by planxty
  • Food, Ploen Samut restaurant, Prachaup Khirikhan.
    Food, Ploen Samut restaurant, Prachaup...
    by planxty
  • Food, Demer restaurant, Prachuap Khirikhan.
    Food, Demer restaurant, Prachuap...

Best Rated Restaurants in Prachuap Khiri Khan

• planxty's Profile Photo

Demer restaurant.: My favourite place in PKK.

by planxty Written Jan 28, 2010

Demer restaurant, Prachuap Khirikhan, Thailand.

There are many fine restaurants in Prachapkhirikan, although the traveller, if he does not speak Thai, will find himself confined to those along the seafront where the English menus lie. In fairness, this is not a problem as there is a plethora of very good places both along the main beach road and also towards the fishing village behind Mirror Mountain Rock. I happened upon this place my first evening in PKK and was very satisfied with it. As a general rule, I try to visit as many different places in any given town as possible, but I kept being drawn back here by the extremely friendly service and the quality of the food.

Although a few Westerners put their faces in here, it is primarily frequented by Thai paople, which I always take to be a good sign. I know the VT setup is going to prompt me to a favourite dish and this will be difficult as I have had so many delicious dishes here. As with restaurants anywhere, I love the concept of being able to see the kitchen. In Demer, you not only see it, you walk through it should you need to use the facilities!

I have to say, whilst basic, like most Thai kitchens, it is spotless and the food it supplies sublime. If absolutely pushed to pick one, it would be the fried butterfish with spicy sauce. Unfortunately, I did not think to take a photo but, believe me, it was divine. Perhaps a little hot for some Western tastes but, as I have explained in other tips, I can handle hot Asian food. It was cooked to perfection, with the skin nicely crisp and the meat succulent and not at all dried out as can happen with flat fish.

Ah, in the way of these things and reflecting so much that I love about this place my (offline) writing of this tip has just been interrupted in the nicest possible way by being waylaid by some of the lovely Thai staff wanting to look at my photos and asking about what I was writing. I showed them both, explained about VT and we had a lovely chat, such is the nature of this place.

I thoroughly recommend it.

Favorite Dish: Fried butterfish with spicy sauce.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Unnamed restaurant.: Proper local food.

by planxty Written Jan 12, 2010

Roadside reataurant, Prachuap Khirikhan, Thailand.

Normally when I give the name of a restaurant as unnamed it means simply that I cannot translate the sogn, but his place really did not have a name. It is a roadside shack. The chances are you will never come here as it is a fair way from PKK, but if you visit the falls and nearby national park (see seperate tip) you will pass it, and I thoroughly recommend you drop in.

On the way to the way from the main Phetkasem Highway to the Huai Yang National Park and waterfalls my Thai friend decided it was time to stop and eat and we pulled into the shack pictured. It is a few km. from the Highway on the left as you go towards the park. It is fairly much in the middle of nowhere and like many other rural places in the region serves only one dish, the ever popular noodle soup, although you can decide between chicken or pork (gai or moo) or just the plain vegetables. I opted for the moo. It was here that I learned the art of eating Thai noodle soup, Thai style. First the chilli flakes go into the soup, then the chilli sauce from the bottle, then the chilli infused vinegar. Are you starting to see a pattern here? A small amount of sigar is then added, presumably to take the edge off the chilli. I found this last idea a little odd, sugar in soup, but it seemed to work. Obviously, if your palate does not run to the volcanic in terms of chilli, you can leave them out but I do like hot food.

I had a beer, my friend had a soft drink and I got a small bottle of drinking water for the journey and the whle thing came to a ludicrous price, somewhat less than £2 (less than $3US). I appreciate this was locals price as my friend ordered but I doubt they get many tourists here and it probably would not be much more if you visited. It was the kind of thing I travel for, good local food eaten with local people in a place where you are seen as an oddity. Perfect.

On the road from the main Phetkasem Highway to the Huai Yang National Park about five km on the left hand side.

Favorite Dish: The noodle soup - it's the only thing they have!

• dabuwan's Profile Photo

Excellent seafood

by dabuwan Updated Apr 15, 2003

A street vendor with fresh seafood

Prachuap Khiri Khan is famous for its good fresh seafood.
    There are many good restaurants around, but I preferred to eat at the many street vendors (they do have tables and chairs on the street) where you can choose your seafood that is cooked right away in front of you.
    Quality and variety are absolutely excellent and prices are definitely low.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Ploen (Phloen) Samut restaurant.: Good but not the best.

by planxty Written Jan 12, 2010

Ploen Samut restaurant, Prachaup Khirikhan.

This place features in the ubiqitous Lonely Planet guide and as such gets a fair amount of the limited tourist trade. Personally, I prefer the nearby Demer restaurant (see seperate tip) although this place is perfectly adequate, specialising naturally in the excellent and inexpensive local seafood although when I visited, being somewhat overloaded with seafood, I opted for a sweet and sour pork dish which was served up promptly and very nice it was too. The starter of deep fried chicken pieces was similarly pleasing. Service is excellent by local standards (despite the Lonely Planet comment to the contrary) and, although I feel the place lacks atmosphere a little, it is a safe bet for a decent meal.

Favorite Dish: The sweet and sour pork with steamed rice as above.

Instant Answers: Prachuap Khiri Khan

Comments

Prachuap Khiri Khan Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Prachuap Khiri Khan restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Prachuap Khiri Khan sightseeing.

View all Prachuap Khiri Khan hotels