Pak Khat Travel Guide

Pak Khat Transportation

• Tuk-Tuk

Another variation on the tuk-tuk theme. These ones have a motorbike front end with a conventional tuk-tuk seating arrangement welded to the back.

• Motorbiking around

Riding pillion around Pak Khat, this was the view I had most of the time. Of course, I had to hold on tight - just in case I fell off.

• Getting around Pak Khat by Motorcycle

Cars are too expensive for most of the people in Isaan. Buses go along the main road but that is all. The only practical and affordable method for people to get around is by motorbike. Every family has at least one and all members of the family can ride a motorbike. A personal driver and tourguide is recommended.

Pak Khat Favorites

• Local Boat Races

There is a large body of water in Pak Khat a little way from the Mekong. Villagers fish there and use the water for irrigation. But they use it for recreation as well. Boat races in long, narrow, low-slung canoes are very popular and the locals compete against each other. While I was there the local men were practising every day for a big race...

• Charcoal

In addition to fishing, another source of income along the banks of the Mekong is from producing charcoal. There are several of these mud kilns where wood is partially burnt.

• Mekong - 3

Walking along a narrow pole, Rung takes a closer look at the fish farm. I declined to do so. I know that if I had attempted to do this I would have ended up seeing more of the river than I wanted to.

Instant Answers: Pak Khat