Chiang Khong Travel Guide

Border Post, Chiang Khong, Thailand.
    by planxty
    Pop band, Chiang Khong, Thailand.
    by planxty
    Ferryboat, Chiang Khong, Thailand.

Chiang Khong Things to Do

• planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Written Jan 28, 2010

Actually, it is not what I call rock 'n' roll at all, it is what I call Thai pop but it is OK to listen to. What exactly am I going on about, I hear you ask. Let me explain.

At my guesthouse, it was explained to me that there is a three day food festival in the town at this time of year (three days before Xmas) with live music. Well, no second invitation needed, I dispatched myself tout de suite back down the road. It looked like it had been set up in either a carpark or possibly a bus station with plenty of room.

It was a food festival by virtue of the fact that there were many food stalls about the place and I did avail myself of a few of the delicacies on offer, but the main draw was the music. The "house band" really was very good, and there were various singers, I think local heroes by the reaction they got, and although I didn't understand a word, the music (Pop Thai) is seriously catchy. A very pleasant night where I was one of only a handful of Westerners which is a thing I always love.

If you happen to be here at the right time of year, get yourself along. Admission is free, which is always a bonus.

Pop band, Chiang Khong, Thailand.
    • Music

1/1 Moo 1, Huariang, Chiang Khong, 57140, Thailand

Satisfaction: Poor

Chiang Khong Restaurants

• Great Mexican food!

Cheese/chicken quesadillas with all the "extras" Bt 180Cheese/chicken burritos same.Owner is very "energetic", to say the least. Implored everyone to order early and be prepared to wait as his wife is the only kitchen staff. Took about 30 minutes to get our food due to the large number of guests but the wait was pleasant and entertaining. Short...

• Great Burger!

Ate here twice during my visit (Dec 07). Had a quick lunch of burger and fries Bt80 the first day. Big burger! Second day had a good steak, salad and fries Bt150. Big english-lang. menu. COLD beer and free pool table.

• cheap food

(last date visited - Dec. 13, 2004)1. somtan thai - 25 ThB2. pork soup - 25 ThB3. rice - 10 ThB4. water - 5 ThB

Chiang Khong Transportation

• BOAT ACROSS THE RIVER

It is quite a pleasnt wat to leave Thailand and enter Laos by taking a small boat across the river. The trip takes less than two minutes and immigration is open from 8 am to 6 pm, so don't be late as you may have to spend the night in Chiang Khong. The cost is 40 baht for the boat to Huay Xai.

• There is only one way out!

If you are going to Lao there is only one option and that is to get a boat from the pier at the extreme North end of town where, understandably, the Immigration office is. Do NOT forget to get your passport stamped with an exit visa as you can run into all sorts of problems later on. It is a quick and simple process.The boats run from 0800 - 1800...

• Lovely local bus.

I was intending to travel from Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong by bus, and it was a relatively painless experience. I caught a local bus which took about two and a half hours and cost 80 baht. Local buses can get quite crowded although this one was not so I had the luxury of a bit of leg room. I really rather enjoy bumping along in a bus where I am the...

Chiang Khong Tourist Traps

• pesky_tourist's Profile Photo

by pesky_tourist Written Nov 27, 2007

There is no need to use a "visa service" unless you are extremely lazy. Most places charge around Bt500 to provide you with the forms etc. They don't actually go get your visa for you but send a boy with you across to Lao Immigration to carry your paperwork. Visa on arrival Bt1500 (for U.S. as of 11/07), price varies by nationality. Extra $1 US on the weekend. There is an exchange at immigration but they take USD, baht and kip.

Chiang Khong What to Pack

• wwroam's Profile Photo

by wwroam Written Mar 14, 2006

Luggage and bags: If your planning on catching the slow boat fromChiang Khong to Luang Prabang( and stopping overnight at Pak Beng)backpacks are essential. At all the above places there are stairs and ramps to climb that make any other sort of luggage impractical.

Past Immigration and dwn to the River

Instant Answers: Chiang Khong

Comments

Explore Deeper into Chiang Khong
Map of Chiang Khong