Jungle Trek, Chiang Mai

Know about this? Rate It!

Jungle Kids

by vigi Written Jan 19, 2004

Fondest memory: Here are the kids of the first village we visited. Well, these kids are spoiled, with too many tourists visits. The first thing they speak to me was Au-Bu-U-Ja, which means hello, good morning, good bye, how are you. All in one word. Immediately after that, they asked me for candies. If you want to give them candies, prepare a whole pack, if you try to give them bit by bit, like me, don't work. They'll attack you! Attack your pocket, attack your hands... until they make sure there's no more candies left with me!

Bamboo Rafting

by vigi Written Jan 18, 2004

Fondest memory: After lunch, we head over for a 3-hour bamboo rafting down the river. This is very fun, although 3 hours is bit long, I think. Started to get bored and tired after 2 hours. My shoulders are all sore the next morning.

I love this rafting because this is a standing one, and everyone have to get involve with rafting, instead of just sitting down there enjoying the scnery like a tourist.

Jungle Lunch

by vigi Written Jan 19, 2004

Fondest memory: Our guide from Libra Guesthouse, Pom Pom. Besides taking care of our trekking team, he is also responsible for all our meals. Here he is cooking our lunch, today menu is instant noodle soup with vegetables. Actually, I think it will be more fun if we can involve in the cooking as well, insetad of sitting down waiting to be served like a guest.

Elephant Ride

by vigi Written Jan 19, 2004

Fondest memory: Third day morning, elephants came to village to pick us up. Two of us share an elephant. Here we started our 2 hours Jungle Elephant Ride. At first I was a little scared, and didn't want to step on the animal's head, but I have no choice. In fact, I don't understand why they worship elephants in wat, set them as "saint" figures, while these people treat them like dirt in real life.

Jungle Dance

by vigi Updated Jan 19, 2004

Fondest memory: OK. Here is the set performance, the kids are supposed to sing and dance around the camp fire after dinner. Well, at first I thought this is their normal practice after dinner, but in fact, this is a forced performance set by the tour organized. Can see the kids not really willing to perform, just try to finish the assignment. They are more interested in our candies and playing with our digital cameras.

Little Pinky No Pants

by vigi Updated Aug 8, 2004

Fondest memory: This is another Jungle Kid, the Little-Pinky-No-Pants. He is good at asking for candies, playing with baby puppy, riding a dog while twisting its ears like riding a motorbike, and playing with knife. He chop his fingers, without crying, laughing instead! I was woundering why these kids don't cry even he cut his fingers. Perhaps their born character is happy? Or perhaps the drug? I don't know...

Jungle Choir

by vigi Written Jan 19, 2004

Fondest memory: Let me introduce the leader of our Jungle Choir, Mr. Chicken! He love to perform on a stage (broken tree trunk). Their show start sharp at 3am till dawn, always on time. The chicken of the whole village will take turn to sing first, then birds thorwn in before dogs and pigs joining towards sunrise. Surround-sound some more!

I'm glad the guys with guns have gone Part 23

by herzog63 Written Feb 27, 2003

Favorite thing: Well after the guys with guns turned out to be friendly we continued up the hill with just half of the group as the other half were really struggling. We came to a fork in the trail and we were hiking with the 2nd guide and we asked him which way? hmm 50/50 chance and guess what he was wrong! At the time we didn't know it but we were on the wrong path! We had hiked for about 45 minutes then sat down to wait for the rest of the group. As Night time approached we didn't think the other group was going to come this way and we hadn't seen a village for a while so we decided to continue on the path hoping to stumble across another village and just as we couln't see anymore due to darkness we did find a village! Our junior guide didn't speak the local dialect very well but he could speak enough to let the people in the village know that we needed/wanted to eat and have some place to lay down and sleep.

Fondest memory: This picture is taken right before sunset on that night! If you go on a trek make sure someone has a flashlight!!

night fall!

Whatcha wanna eat? Have mine! Part 24

by herzog63 Written Feb 28, 2003

Favorite thing: After our junior guide finished talking with the locals they took us to a big hut to eat. As we entered the hut there were already a bunch of locals seated at the table and someone said something and they all got up and left! Hmmm then they motioned for us to sit down. I felt kind of funny about the situation as I don't like people to move out of the way for me! But we all sat down and I was kind of waiting for them to take the plates and bowls away. But they didn't! They brought more rice and some vegetables and a more water rice soup and but on the same plates that the people were just using. A couple of us in the group looked each other in the eye...LOL Hmm.. Ok I was pretty hungry so I ate up my portions. We all ate without complaining.
    After eating we were taken to another hut that had bamboo slat beds which was better than sleeping on mud floor as we were fairly high in elevation and it was quite cold!
    We wondered where the rest of the group had gone ...Did they take the wrong trail? Of course not we did. How will be able to find them again? It didn't really matter to me as long as they were safe. I was having a blast! After a good night sleep we woke up to a beautiful sunrise. And had some rice on "clean" plates for breakfast and as we were getting ready to start out on the trail or #1 guide came running over the hill. They had stayed in a different village the night before and as we were'nt there he figured that we would be at this village. It was only about 45 minutes away. The village we stayed in actually had some sort of road going to it and there were 2 pickup trucks in the village. I made us feel to close to civilization. hahaa

Thai Village
    • Adventure Travel

Time for the trek to finish...sadness part 25

by herzog63 Updated Mar 1, 2003

Favorite thing: After we met up with the rest of the group we continued our hike through the hills. But this part of the trek was done on a dirt road instead of a path. We hiked for a couple hours and then we came out of the forest right near a paved road and the Sawngtao was waiting for us. So I guess our guide had the timing down for what time we would be arriving at that spot? Actually the driver was sleeping in the truck. We loaded up our stuff and drove the 2 hours back to Chiang Mai. It was kind of sad to have to stop the trek. But like all good things I guess it had to come to and end and become a Great Memory. I had thought about doing another trek but I didn't and actually I've never even been back to the area. One of these years when I'm in Thailand I would like to do it again.
    For the most part I enjoyed the trek and it showed me how people can lead a life of subsistance without electricity and all working as a village. I'm sure by now that the places I visited would have gift shops and Coca Cola for sale. You know your off the beaten path when you arrive somewhere and they don't have Coca Cola!!

Fondest memory: One of my cool memories of the whole trek is the kids!! I just love the kids. Really curious and always smiling! Sometimes shy..but just happy to be kids!

shy baby
    • Adventure Travel

2nd night we get to sleep on some bamboo pt 20

by herzog63 Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: On our second night at the Lisu village where we got to have fun with the New Year Celebration we got deluxe beds!! Little strips of bamboo that were quite uneven and it took my back a little while to get used to it but it was better than sleeping on the mud floor like we did the night before.

Village

Easy walking and alot of talking part 21

by herzog63 Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: The next day we visited a couple villages that had were interesting as alot of people were busy working so we could witness how hard they were working getting their jobs done. There was a couple guys making boards from raw trees by hand with a big blade. Another guy had just returned from the forest catching songbirds that he would transport to Chiang Mai to sell in the market. Some of the women were doing some of the cross stitch work. There were people working in the fields. We stopped and talked (through our guide) with a few of the people. They were real nice and all took a few moments to chat with us and explain what they were doing.

Fondest memory: The guy in the picture would use a set of sticks with very sticky tree sap spread out on the surface and in the middle he would attach a female bird with a small string. And then the whole thing would be attached to a very long bamboo pole and he would take it to the forest where the female bird would attract boyfriends but when they landed on the sticky wood they would be stuck and then he would keep doing the process all over again until he had enough birds to sell. Quite ingenous! I thought.

Bird catcher

• riproy's Profile Photo

Trekking or 'Eco-Tourism' in Northern Thailand?

by riproy Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Trekking is a popular activity of tourists that visit Chiangmai; indeed, it is often the attraction that brings people to CM. There are many tour operators in town that offer trekking packages.
    The point of trekking is to walk thru the countryside, observe hill tribe people and stay in their villages.

Fondest memory: Because eco-tourism has become popular among foreign visitors, many tour companies have begun offering eco-tour treks. But are they really ‘eco-tours’? In 2000, I was part of a group of foreigners living in Thailand that looked into this issue a little closer. To see our results, printed in the Bangkok Post newspaper on January 14, 2001, please visit the “Eco-Tourism” travelogue on my Chiangmai page.

Northern valley
    • Eco-Tourism

Cooling down part 6

by herzog63 Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: As we passed pools of crystal clear water and more crystal clear pools of water our guide said ok..Do you guys want to go for a swim? It took about 4 seconds for all of us to take our clothes off and jump in the water! There could have been a herd of wild crocodiles in the water and we probably would've still jumped in as we were dying of heat exhaustion. After 10 minutes or so we were ready to go again. I filled up my water bottle with the delicous iodized water and we were on our way. I was wishing that I would have packed a few more chocolate bars! I needed the kind that didn't melt in my 120 degree packpack as they were almost liquid as I ate/drank them. My candy bars were all gone on the first day.

Stripping down for a swim!

Small waterfalls part 7

by herzog63 Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: After we hiked past the summit of the mountain we passed these little water falls which is basically the start of the stream that provided the cool crystal clear water that we had gone swimming in further down. In the rainy season this are must be raging with huge amounts of water flowing down the mountain.

Smll falls