Elephants and Rafting, Chiang Mai

Know about this? Rate It!

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Chok Chai Elephant Camp

by Willettsworld Written Nov 28, 2009

I came here as part of a long-necked tribe daytrip I did from Chiang Mai. We first rode on elephants for about 40 minutes or so alongside a river. We then transferred onto bamboo rafts and made our was back along the river so that we could get back to the camp. I have to say that the elephant camp didn't look all that good but then I had just come from the National Elephant Institute in Lampang which is just amazing. I did see some of the smaller elephants being hit by their mahouts at Chok Chai.

• Visit the Painting Elephants of Notrhern Thailand

by srosenberg Written Oct 22, 2009
    Scott and Elephant Artist Wanpen

My assistant Chaiwat and I traveled around to some of the elephant camps last week to see how they were fairing in the economic downturn AND of course to stock up on elephant paintings for the up-coming holiday season.

We didn't find much new in the way of designs but we did find advanced use of colors and at Maetaman, they have gone "green" setting up a small factory that produces elephant dung paper for their Elephant Artists to paint on.

What was unusual, at the Ayuthaya Royal Elephant Kraal, which used to have their elephant paintings on dung paper, have gone back to using regular poster board. Apparently the Australian Agricultural Department has not cleared dung paper for import and most of the guests to the Ayuthaya Kraal are from Australia.

Another interesting note, back in August 2009 a team shooting for National Geographic was at Maetaman doing a special on Elephant Artist Hong painting her self-portraits. The special has yet to air on the National Geographic Channel but you can be sure when it does, it will spark a renewed interest in Hong's paintings (of which we have several in stock).

We have had to increase our prices slightly to meet international market demand on the Hong paintings however we are still less expensive then elsewhere on-line. However, the Hong paintings still appreciate in value.

Overall traffic is down a bit at the camps - a result of fewer tourists traveling becasue of the recession but overall we are told business is not that bad.

Which, as you can see from the short video below is good - since it only takes bananas to run an elephant camp.

Visit us at www.Elephant-Paintings.com or our blog at http://anelephantshome.blogspot.com/

• stanlelj's Profile Photo

Elephant Sanctuary

by stanlelj Written Nov 10, 2006

The Elephant Nature Park is run by Lek, The Elephant Lady, a Time Asia Hero, and just a wonderful lady. She has many people of like mind working with her running a true sanctuary where rescued elephants are allowed to live out their lives in peace and security. The Park is out of Chiang Mai, and arrangements can be made at the Gem Travel office, on a small street just off the nIght Bazaar. Day trips or longer stays as volunteer helpers are available. It is an experience you will never forget.

• allthai's Profile Photo

Elephant safari and rafting in the rainforest

by allthai Written Jul 31, 2005

Rafting to Tee Lau Lay watefall

I live in Chiang Mai so when friends visit I always take them on this trip.

We first traveled to the Friends of the Asian Elephants Conservation Center and Hospital in Lampang. We learned that veterinarians treat sick elephants free of charge. This is also where old elephants can live out the rest of their lives.

Then on to Sukhothai for the evening. The next morning we walked among the ruins in the UNESCO World Heritage Park in Old Sukhothai and departed for Umphang, stopping for lunch in Mae Sot. Overnight was at a resort in Umphang in nice cabins.

The next morning we boarded the raft for a leisurely 3-hour journey through canyons with high limestone cliffs and many waterfalls. We then traveled by 4-wheel drive to the forestry camp, then walked to Thee Lor Su Waterfalls, the largest in Thailand. Here we had lunch, then started our 3-hour leisurely walk through bamboo forest and along a beautiful stream with many colorful birds, butterflies and wildflowers. Dinner and evening was in a Karen Village.

Next day we rode elephants and hiked over the mountain and through the rainforest and across the river to another Karen village for overnight. We had an excellent all you can eat family style Thai dinner prepared.

This morning we experienced 4 hours of exciting whitewater rafting. We passed many beautiful waterfalls and wild animals such as gibbons, lemurs, and deer while rafting to our campsite, stayed overnight in comfortable tents and had a delicious dinner beside the river.

next morning we rode elephants and hiked for 4 hours to reach our camping spot along a clear stream with small waterfall excellent for wading and swimming. We camped overnight here.

Next morning we walked and rode elephants for about 2 hours to our pickup point, then returned to Umphang to shower and lunch, then on to Mae Sot for the evening before returning to Chiangmai.

For a more detailed description of this adventure please read my travel Journal

• Rafting
    • Safari

• BorderHopper's Profile Photo

What's so fun about riding on an Ox cart?

by BorderHopper Written May 29, 2005

An Ox drawn cart in Mae Ping, Thailand

If you go on the elephant trek at Mae Ping you'll be taken to the Ping River by an Ox drawn cart, over a bumpy path, through a thick stand of trees. I'm not sure what the point of this trip was other than to show us what it may have been like before the 4 wheel drive came to Thailand.

• lareina's Profile Photo

Chiang Dao Elephant Camp

by lareina Written May 13, 2004

Elephants moving logs during show

In Chiang Mai it is easy to book a tour to one of the nearby elephant camps. I went to the camp in Chiang Dao, about 30km north of Chiang Mai. To reach the camp you must cross over a river on a rope bridge before walking through the forest to the training area. First, the elephants are bathed by their trainers, or mahouts, in the river. Then the elephants perform for the audience by hauling and rolling logs. Afterwards, you can take an elephant ride through the forest.

I enjoyed the elephant ride the most, although it was rather bumpy, and I enjoyed seeing the baby elephants up close in their pens. This is definetly a touristic experience, but it is a little more authentic than visiting elephants at your local zoo.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• oceania26's Profile Photo

Elephant Trek

by oceania26 Written Mar 16, 2004

I booked 2 day trips from Chiang Mai with:

T.P Travel - 99/8 Loi Khroh Rd., Maung Chiangmai 50100

One was an elephant trek and rafting, visit to village tribe for 700 baht which included lunch and water and pickup/drop off to your hostel/hotel.

I had a really good guide for this portion, very nice lady who explained a lot of history and culture. I found the elephant trek scary (but I'm like that) it took me forever to get on the elephant and I had to hold on for dear life especially when the elephant went downhill. It was funny to see elephants eating bananas and I saw the one infront of me taking biggest and loudest *** EVER....so gross!

The other was a trip to Chiang Rai, Laos and Burma

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Bamboo Rafting

by frankcanfly Updated Apr 2, 2003

Be sure to ride a lazy bamboo raft down one of the rivers. It's relaxing and nostalgic.

Plan on getting wet!! The local children have no fear when it comes to splashing tourists coming down the river. In fact, I suspect they plan their day around it!!!

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Elephant ride

by leffe3 Written Feb 25, 2003

One thing you must do when in Chang mai is go on an organised elephant ride into the hills and jungle that surround the city. easily organised (so many tours arranged in Chang Mai) that can either be on its own or spend a full day incorporating visits to local villages, trekking and waterfalls.

• Adventure Travel

• ChristaV's Profile Photo

Let the restaurant open

by ChristaV Updated Mar 24, 2007

Banana sellers

Buy some sugarcane and bananas as you enter the working farm to feed the elephants. It is a wonderfull experience.

• ChristaV's Profile Photo

Riding elephants

by ChristaV Updated Mar 24, 2007

Gentle giants of the junle

What an experience it was on the back of the elephant thru the forest. Something I will never forget.

• Women's Travel