Places to eat in Chiang Mai

• Aroon Rai
    by chatterley
    noodles with lots of fresh veggies
    Kaeb Moo

Most Viewed Restaurants in Chiang Mai

Hot Chilli: great seafood

by hillelarkin Written Mar 14, 2015

Located on a walking street in the old city of CM, this restaurant serves very good sea food. The setting is very nice and unique and the service very good. Rich selection of dishes, many of them very special, seldom find elsewhere. Very recommended.

Lemongrass: Lemongrass

by hillelarkin Written Mar 14, 2015

It's the "Lemongrass" restaurant. We have been there 2 years ago and was the 1st one to visit for dinner this time around. The food is very good, the service not so good but who cares when the atmosphere is great. Time does not count there. It is always crowded, even at 6:00 PM.. The staff is doing its best in this impossible situation. To sum it all - If we come again to CM this will be again our first stop for food..

Mild Chiang Mai: Not so famous but not less good breakfast

by hillelarkin Written Mar 14, 2015

Less than 50 yards from the famous "Blue Diamond Breakfast Club" we found a small and cute breakfast place called "Mild Chiang Mai". The setting was nice and appealing, with ginger roots laying around and umbrellas protecting from sun. The food was very good and not so expensive. We could see the fresh fruits and vegetables waiting for being process for the dishes. Very calm, very nice breakfast.

Favorite Dish: The fruit shake (but it was same as elsewhere in Chiang Mai)

• hillelarkin's Profile Photo

Blue diamond breakfast club: famous breakfast place

by hillelarkin Written Mar 14, 2015

The place looks like an "intenyionally messy" but it creates a nice ambience for breakfast. Very famous for tourists (almost no locals). The food variety and type is rich and the prices are slightly too high.

Favorite Dish: The variety was good. The food is similar to other breakfast places. I had seen an apple pie that looked good but did not taste it as it was after I had already my breakfast...

• rolphbronkhorst's Profile Photo

Nakara Jardin: Patisserie and bistro in a tropical garden

by rolphbronkhorst Written Dec 10, 2014

Until recently Nakara Jardin was a private property on the banks of the Ping River, a lush tropical garden established many years ago. The kind of property which it would be impossible to find and buy these days. It was while relaxing here that Le Cordon Bleu-trained Chef Pomme had the idea of making it an all-day easy dining spot for local and foreign customers alike.

While the garden itself was originally typical Thai - replete with Sweet Shorea, Spanish Cherry, Indian Cork and Frangipani trees, all overshadowed by a magnificent rain tree - the food Chef Pomme wished to serve was French, and so the garden was developed into an innovative and unique French Tropical style.

The designer, taking inspiration from the graceful curves of the weeping willow which overhangs the Ping river, brought in the colours and stylistic flourishes of a Monet garden. Thus was born this perfect setting for relaxed French dining, with crafted coffees, imported teas and delightful patisserie, all at affordable prices.

Favorite Dish: BLT sandwich cause it is was served well.

• Work Abroad

Wat Phra That Doi Suthep - Waffle vendor: Tasty snack

by blueskyjohn Updated Oct 4, 2014

Just before the Naga Stairs is a row of vendors selling souvenirs and snacks. One caught my eye so I had to check it out. A man had a booth where he made waffles. But the unique thing was he made them with a whole banana inside. You can get different toppings. Of course I chose chocolate. Basically the banana/waffle is on a stick and placed in plastic bag then chocolate syrup is poured inside. A nice snack and reasonably priced at 30 bht.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

W by Wanlamun: Outstanding meal!

by blueskyjohn Updated Oct 4, 2014

Another restaurant that is difficult to find but well worth the effort. This was an excellent meal. I went here for lunch on my last day. Wish I had stopped by earlier in the trip. This place would have worth a few visits. Tucked away on a side street, they have seating in an enclosed glass room that is comfortably air conditioned. It even got a little cold. The wait staff was very attentive but I was the only one in the restaurant.

I started with a chicken satay dish. It was some of the best satay I've had. Next up for the main course was Panang Chicken. It was delicious. My only complaint with this dish was that it is small. Should have been more. But this left enough room for dessert. I had a chocolate mousse pastry. A little light on the chocolate but very tasty.

W is definitely on my list to visit again when I return to Chiang Mai!

They are open Tuesday - Sunday, 11.30 am - 10.00 pm
    Lunch: 11.30 am - 2.30 pm
    Tea and Pastries 11.30 am - 10.00 pm
    Dinner : 6.30 pm - 10.00 pm

Favorite Dish: Both the appetizer and main course were excellent!

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Dash!: Difficult to find but worth the effort

by blueskyjohn Updated Oct 4, 2014

I heard a lot of good things about this restaurant so I looked for it on a map. It is in the old city and tucked away on a small side street in a residential area. I actually drove past it because it looked like a house. In a way it is. Dash! is also a Guest House. The owner was born in Thailand but lived in the United States for many years before returning to open this guest house and restaurant. She also offers cooking classes.

I started with a Thai potato puff, similar to a samosa. They were excellent. For the main course I had Pad See Eww. Another excellent dish. I was here for lunch and it was a little too much food. The portion on the main course was fairly large so no need for an appetizer unless you are really hungry.

They have indoor and outdoor seating. The side street they are on is very quiet. Not the best place if you like people watching as you eat but a nice place to relax.

Hours:
    Saturday 9:00 am – 12:00 am
    Sunday 9:00 am – 12:00 am

Crema Cafe: Average at best

by blueskyjohn Updated Oct 4, 2014

I heard a lot of buzz about this place while in Chiang Mai so I decided to check it out. Maybe because I am not a coffee drinker I missed out on the hipe. I found the breakfast to be average and something I would not order again. You can see from the photo what breakfast was like. I thought it to be a bit expensive for what you are served. There was not a big selection and this was the most appetizing item I could find. The wait staff were not very attentive and had to walk in the back area to find someone to help me. They definitely rather cater to coffee drinkers. Someone was always behind the counter serving coffee but would never come out on the floor to help even though I needed to place my order.

• Singles

Cafe Du En-Amor: Nice lunch, great dessert

by blueskyjohn Updated Oct 4, 2014

This is a nice place for lunch near Wat Chedi Luang. It is attached to a clothing boutique by the same name. The cafe has indoor and outdoor seating but the indoor is great. Nice and cool to beat the heat in summer. Great staff and very clean inside. I ordered a chicken curry dish that was small but very good. They have a very big menu with a lot of options.

Also had an ice cream dessert that was very good. Melted pretty fast even though it was cool inside. I would definitely go back again.

Hours: Monday through Saturday, 11:00am to 8:00pm, Sunday 11:00am to 10:30pm.

Deck 1: Great food with a couples type atmosphere

by blueskyjohn Updated Oct 4, 2014

This restaurant is very nice and a bit upper class. It is modern inside and out. Lighting in dim for dinner and sets a romantic atmosphere as you can see in the photos. I stopped in late when I arrived in Chiang Mai.

The wait staff were excellent and very attentive. I ordered a typical Thai dish, Pad Chicken and Cashew. It was great, the best I had in Chiang Mai. For dessert I ordered a chocolate cake however here was the only mistake of the evening. The wait staff bought out a chocolate mousse dessert. It was rather small and I wasn't a fan. Good, but not what I ordered. They were very apologetic.

I would definitely return and try some of the other dishes.

• Kitty82's Profile Photo

The Red Lion: Best seat in the house!

by Kitty82 Written Nov 3, 2013

We dined here on both nights in Chiang Mai. Food was good, the beer was even better as they specialise in imported beer. Food wise they serve predominantly british food such as bangers and mash, fish and chips, steak and kidney pie etc, but they do have an extensive thai menu as well which is what we ordered from - well we are in Thailand right?. What I loved about the place was the location and the atmosphere - take a seat on the balcony and watch the world go by.

Favorite Dish: Even though this is a 'british' pub as such, we decided to stick with the curries and I must say they were great - probably the reason why we came back the next night!

The Red Lion Excuse my half eaten spring roll!
    • Beer Tasting

• The UN Irish Pub: The UN Irish Pub - Not just a pub!

by Locallad Updated Nov 8, 2012

The UN Irish Pub is more than a pub. While it’s still a great place to watch sports (with three screens available), it has expanded its menu to appeal to the casual diner and is now offering a wide range of local dishes in addition to the traditional selection of pub grub.
    The beer garden, with its lush greenery and candlelit ambiance, rivals the atmosphere of many of the popular Chiang Mai restaurants, albeit on a much smaller scale. Several of the dishes feature freshly baked items from the in-house Crusty Loaf Bakery, which also provides a good selection of baked items for takeout customers.
    And finally, it has a website (www.unirishpub.com) where customers can find out about upcoming events such as live music, quiz nights and barbeques. A very useful weekly TV schedule of which sporting events will be shown is now published online and regularly updated.
    The UN Irish Pub is a great sports bar, a relaxed and casual restaurant as well as a bakery. It caters to local residents as well as visitors and is increasingly popular with Thai people looking for a Western pub experience.

Favorite Dish: The Big Irish breakfast. It sets you up for the day and keeps you from getting hungry again until it's time for the Irish Stew in the evening.

UN Irish Pub, Chiang Mai Couple in the  Beer Garden Couple in the  Beer Garden 'People watching' from the balcony. UN Irish Pub interior.

• Somikan's Profile Photo

Hush Kitchen: Don't miss chicken teriyaki!

by Somikan Updated Oct 5, 2012

Kitchen Hush serves home-cooked meals, and is located in a quiet residential soi (alley) off Kaew Nawarat Road. You might miss finding the restaurant in the first glance as it just looks like an average house, but once inside, you'll feel like you're in Japan.

Inside, the walls are built with dark teakwood (similar to those of old Thai wooden houses), decorated in minimalist style, but still looks elegant.

The menu comes with complete pictures, and is very extensive including a range of sashimi, mochi, udons, etc. (Sashimi is only available at dinner time). While waiting for the food we ordered, they served small appetizers which can be varied everyday. During the meal, if you order green tea, whether hot or iced, you can have it refilled.

After the meal, they also serve dessert for free. I had ice cream in green tea flavor.

Favorite Dish: I really can't decide what are my favorites, but these are what I order every time when I go to this restaurant:

Chickem Teriyaki,
    Takoyaki,
    Unagi set,
    and Sashimi.

Though it is quite pricey for Thais, I think it is worth a try :)

Takoyaki Chicken teriyaki Katsudon Sashimi - small set Appetizer
    • Women's Travel

• davidjo's Profile Photo

THE OLDE BELL BRITISH PUB: A TASTE OF HOME

by davidjo Written Mar 6, 2012

If you are feeling hungry pop along to the OLDE BELL PUB that is 300 metres along Loi Khro road from the moat. This place serves draft beers and a good selection of canned/bottled beers from around the world. We happened to go when there was a bbq buffet, all you can eat for 100 baht, english sausages, thai sausages, beef, pork, chicken, squid, fish, shrimps etc, and we were truly satisfied, in fact i felt guilty eating so much and paying so little. After we ate we joined a few expats with a few tales to tell, drowned many pints of beer and staggered home in the early hours. Can't recommend this place enough!

Chiang Mai Hotels

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 7 Reviews
Four Seasons Chiang Mai
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: Chiang Mai

Comments

Chiang Mai Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Chiang Mai locals.
Map of Chiang Mai