Cooking School, Chiang Mai

• Cooking School
  • krusaniem's Profile Photo

Great Cooking Experience in Chiang Mai

by krusaniem Written Nov 4, 2012

My wife and I had a great experience at a cooking school in Chiang Mai. They have local pick up at your hotel. We found too that it was better for us to deal directly with the owners of the places than with a ticket agent since they will send you where they will get the greatest % of what you pay. They can tell you directly about what they will do and you can set up a course just your style. The food was great. The trip to the market was informative and fun. The herbs from her own organic was great too. She is good to explain every step of the process. We made many dishes and we even had special herbal drinks made fresh from her garden. We had private lessons for two and arranged our own transportation. This worked well for our style as we like to be out and about on our own. It is easy to rent a car from North Wheels and they have delivery to the airport or your hotel. Very convenient travel options. I really recommend Best Trip Cooking School and travel in and around Chaing Mai the jewel of the north.

lots of good tips!

• BigMatt's Profile Photo

Smart Cook Thai Cookery School

by BigMatt Updated Dec 23, 2011

If you ever wanted to learn the fine art of Thai cuisine then I would highly recommend the Smart Cook Thai Cookery School in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I never realized how many different ingredients were used in Thai cooking until I attended this school. The teachers were very friendly and extremely knowledgeable.

During the class I learned how to cook Tom Yum Kung (shrimp soup), Phat Thai w/ shrimp, Red Curry Paste, Red Curry Chicken, Banana Spring Rolls, and Deep Fried Bananas.

P.S. Make sure you arrive with an empty stomach, as it will be full when you leave.

Red Curry Chicken w/ Banana Spring Rolls Deep Fried Bananas

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Gap's House Cookery School

by aqazi Updated Apr 4, 2011

This cookery school isn't the cheapest in town but it was excellent value at 800bht becasue the facilities and quality of the teaching were outstanding. The day begins with a trip to the market to make us familiar with the local produce. It was also an opportunity to understand what vegetables people in the west could substitute for traditional ones we couldn't find. Once we were in the kitchen everything was set up for us. There was no chopping or cleaning to do just cooking listening and enjoying!

The tutor was excellent and the level of english (even though he pronounced mushrooms as MUSH-A-LOOMS! which I found very amusing) was more than adequate. More importantly our tutor knew what people had in ktichen's in the west, what we could get from supermarkets and the different terminology for vegetables and appliacnes in different countries. We made a range of dishes of which we ate some on site but took most home. I was very surprised how good the food turned out. We were given a good cook book and some spice to take away with us. We were told that we could contact the school at any time afterward if we got stuck at home which I found a nice touch.

If you're in Chang Mai then this is a premium cookery course that is excellent and a great investment. For months afterwards you'll be cooking good thai food.

And den you add da mush-a-looms.....

• deeper_blue's Profile Photo

Culinary masterclass

by deeper_blue Updated May 17, 2010

There are a number of cookery schools in Chiang Mai, Thai Orchid is one of them. A day course consists of pick up at your hotel then you are whisked away to the local market where you meet the teacher, so talks you through good Thai ingredients and what to look for and then at the school you choose 3 meals from a list to cook. All the prep is done for you, you just listen and follow the advice. The highlight was the flambee and also watching the fruit carving, amazing and so skillful.

• nattybabe's Profile Photo

Yum!!!!

by nattybabe Written Jun 25, 2008

Northern Thailand is well known for its food and there are many cooking schools in Chiang Mai to choose from if you want to impress your friends with yummy Thai food. We chose to do a full day cooking class.

We were picked up from our guesthouse and taken directly to the markets where they buy the produce for the days class and where we were given a lecture on Thai fruit and vegetables. Very informative. Then we were taken to the school and seperated into groups according to what we had chosen to cook. We were able to choose 6 dishes to cook each out of 36 options including, curries, salads, noodles, soups and deserts. Yum!!

After a full day and bursting at the seams from all the food we had eaten we all graduated (complete with certificates and cookbooks) from Thai cooking school.

Even if you're not the budding chef (like me) you will enjoy the experience.

• HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School

by HasTowelWillTravel Updated May 29, 2008

This school, run by Somphon and Elizabeth Nabnian, is a wonderful exposure to Thai cuisine. In the multi-day course you learn a variety of Thai dishes: curries, soups, salads, appetizers, and main courses. The staff is friendly and engaging, explaining the various fresh vegetables and their ethnobotanical uses in the cuisine as well as the techniques, utensils and other aspects to making delicious food. The classes are kept small so you have a lot of attention. All in all, a great introduction to Thai cooking in a beautiful location. This is ideal for families as well, as everyone is very lenient and friendly towards little ones.

• chellibean's Profile Photo

Kao Hom

by chellibean Written Jul 10, 2007

This was such a great find! I discovered this cooking school from fellow travelers on this website, and it was fantastic. The food was excellent and our instructor Tim was fabulous. My three friends and I signed up for a public class, but it ended up being private. They pick you up from your hotel and drop you back off. There are different menus depending on the day that you go. Definitely a must!!

The Cucumber Dip for Fried Corn Fritters My Wonderful Phad Thai

• Kaohom Cooking School in Chiang Mai

by Fleetz Written Jul 4, 2007

If your in Chiang Mai and looking for a Thai cooking class experience then I would recommend you give Kaohom at try www.kaohom.com

I had done a couple of classes in Chiang Mai and the one I did with Kanchana the owner and teacher was excellent. Kanchana speaks excellent English and teaches her classes with enthusiasm. I was picked up and returned to my hotel after the class, the school is located about 20 minutes from Chiang Mai in the most pleasant country surroundings. The school is set up the best I have seen in Thailand, I have now done classes in Bangkok, Pattaya, Singapore and Chiang Mai, Kaohom is the best set up by far.

The classes are very much hands and well organised, Kanchana give plenty of tips and welcomes questions during the class. The cost is not the cheapest in Chiang Mai however in my experience well worth the small difference. Kanchana is very passionate about her cooking and reflects is how she teaches her class.

Kanchana can be contacted by email kanchana@kaohom.com or phone +66 5386 2967 mobile +66 19935320

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Cooking Schools

by bpacker Updated Jun 15, 2007

If you love food as much as I do, try taking up a cooking course in Chiang Mai. It's almost de-riguer for us foodies to learn how to cook Pad Thai, Khao Soi, Som Tam and other favourites over here. By going through a cooking course, you are taking a crash course in culture really. You get to go on a trip to the market, interact with the locals, buy the local produce and return to the kitchen to create some magic. The course that is the most popular with foodies would be the one at Four Seasons:

Thai Farm Cooking is equally good since the ingredients that they used are grown in their own gardens and it's ORGANIC.

Som Tam, delicious green papaya salad

• A fabulous cooking experience in Chiang Mai

by teacherbob Written Jun 3, 2007

I spent two days at the Kao Hom Cooking School in Chiang Mai, and fortunately for me, I was the only student both days. Since I had signed up several weeks in advance, Tim, the owner/teacher of the school, gave me private lessons for the regular price. She is a classy, friendly lady with excellent skills in the kitchen and an equally excellent command of English. I was picked up at my hotel in town and delivered back at the end of the day. Her lovely country estate was a relief from the traffic and the noises of Chiang Mai. All we had to do was prepare the food and eat it, her quiet, efficient helpers took care of everything else. If you want an experience to remember, I would urge anyone interested in learning more about Thai cooking to take this class. You may not be as lucky as I was (she has large groups on occasion), but I guarantee you will be pleased with the results. I can't wait to make a Thai dinner for my family!

Ready for action! the cooking gazebo me and  Tim, the owner/teacher saying goodbye at the end of the day
    • Study Abroad

• lindaloo76's Profile Photo

Baan Thai Cookery School

by lindaloo76 Written May 17, 2007

Me and my friend did our course with Baan Thai cookery school. We had Boom as our teacher who has excellent English and a great sense of humour.

The class we had was small with just 6 of us in it (3 men, 3 women) and it was a perfect size. The school is open, airy and well set out.

First we went to the market to get the fresh produce and Boom told us about the different products. Then we went back to the school and we prepared and cooked, it wasn't like a school as it was so easy going with lots of laughter. We made I think 6 different dishes so we ate all day long too! We would cook the food and by the time we'd eaten it, the kitchen was spotless again and the next dish ready to go, you didn't hear or see anyone cleaning or preparing.

I would recommend this course, not only for the cooking but for the friendly nature of the staff who instantly make you feel relaxed and welcome.

• Anita_Porec's Profile Photo

Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School

by Anita_Porec Written May 16, 2007

This is expected to be the best cooking school in Chiang Mai.
    I wouldn't know since I had no previous experiance, but this was great!
    In no time, I learned how to cook!! (yeah right)

The staff was fantastc. Funny, knowledgable -and they made great food!
    We made curry, papaya salad, mango and sticky rice, fried noodles....etc etc.
    Just a wonderful experiance.
    You can join for 1 class or sign up for 5.
    One class only is 990.00 Baht and after that it gets cheaper.

Cooking?! My Coconut Soup (..I could eat this day and night) Class piggin' out on spring rolls. My chicken fried noodles staff with our Mando and Sticky Rice

• hilarious as well as delicious

by roaminginspector Written Aug 27, 2006

One of my 5 favorite experiences from my 2006 month-long tour of the Far East. If you like eating Thai food, this is a must-do experience for you.

You don’t have to be an experienced cook, nor must you speak Thai to get a lot out of these classes, which are taught in English with plenty of humor and fun built-in. The pace of the class is kept high enough that there’s never a dull moment.

The instructors do a very good job of demonstrating what you need to know, setting you up in a safe environment primed for success, and then staying out of the way, intervening only when necessary. You will find yourself doing quite a bit of the cooking work - and enjoying it! All 10 of us seem to have experienced a lot more success in cooking new dishes than we had initially expected.

By the end of the day, I could not believe how much terrific food I had eaten (and in fact cooked!)

Advice: if you are vegetarian, or you do not eat certain kinds of meat or seafood, be sure to tell the instructors in advance, and to remind them at the start of the class. They can accommodate you but they will need to prepare alternate supplies for most dishes, nearly all of which include some seafood ingredients.

Advice: children who are too young to cook safely by themselves probably won’t get much out of this class, so try to arrange for a sitter.

• beebah's Profile Photo

Jungle Survival Cooking Class

by beebah Written Jun 9, 2006

Not another Thai cooking classe in Chiang Mai. If you're looking for something different. Go for Jungle Survival Cooking! Here you will learn how to cook rice in bamboo, Cooking eggs in banana leaves, Fish in bamboo, Cooking roasted chicken in banana leaf, Jungle pork curry.. Learn how to use natural equipments. Could be handy for those who love outdoor life!

• Adventure Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Kao Hom Cooking School

by thedouglas Updated Apr 22, 2006

We spent 3 evenings attending this excellent "culinary treasure" cooking school. Our hostess with the mostess, Kanchana (AKA Tim) was a lovely patient lady, with excellent English and a great sense of fun. There were plentiful supplies of iced tea and water, and lovely coffee at the end of the meal.

The environment was spotlessly clean - all prepared outdoors in a beautiful gazebo style cooking area, with plenty of room and assistance. All ingredients were brought to the table and used items were spirited away by the helpful and committed staff. We enjoyed the company of companions on the first two nights, and had a "private lesson" on the third, and were able to cook the foods we specifically requested.

We learned about the foods, preparation of ingredients, history of the dishes, and ended up very impressed with what we could cook with supervision. Freshness of ingredients, direction about how best to store, alternatives if the Thai ingredients not available at home, and every attention to presentation, all enhanced the learning and value of these classes.

The evenings always ended with a candlelit outdoor dinner, dining on our final courses, with great company and a laugh.

Tim had beautiful hand embroidered starched (with rice water) aprons, which had been made by her neice - we bullied her into getting some extras and selling us 2 as mementoes of our classes - and motivation for us to continue the good work at home.

We were collected from our hotel and returned at the end of the classes.

I highly recommend this cooking school - as a memorable and great learning experience. We found that doing the afternoon-evening classes worked perfectly for us - as we still had the day to do other things, and we weren't slaving over a hot wok in the heat of the middle of the day - I say "slaving" tongue in cheek!

Cooking al fresco All laid out for the classes Looks good enough to eat! What's for dinner?

Instant Answers: Chiang Mai

Comments

Hotels Near Cooking School
4.0 out of 5 stars