Massages, Chiang Mai

• Massages
    by y_lyn
  • Massages
    by June.b
  • the old medicine hospital part of the school
    the old medicine hospital part of the...
    by June.b
  • Our Amazing Thai Massage Course Experience

by fre_d94 Updated Jun 13, 2012

One of the highlights of our visit to Chiang Mai was our 2 day Thai massage course with miss Wanna . We actually found her through virtual tourist. We highly recommend her to everybody that wants to have a great thai massage course. We only folowed a 2 days massage course , but already feel like professionals. The book and her teaching were very clear. It was nice to follow a course at home , you feel more comfortable and relaxed. Thanks for the two nice days (and the pineapple and icecream). I have to say tha i find the idea of the independent thai teachers network great for all of us who want to learn and don't have the time or the money to go to a big school. Anyway. Cheers!

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• Massage courses and Schools.

by JuliaChen Written Apr 24, 2012

I visited CM cause i wanted to learn Thai massage so i naturally tried the famous schools. First ITM (www.itmthaimassage.com) where i was greatly dissapointed cause it was a marketing temple and nothing more. And so much blah blah. We nearly manage to finish the steps in one week. Plus i payed 5000 baht for 30h and the lessons besides the breaks were less then 20 and half was blah blah. Then i tried the old medicine hospital for a week (www.oldmedicinehospital.com) I payed about 6000 baht. I must say it was so much better then Itm. I didnt felt like a moneymaking machine and the teachers were good and it was more practical but still the group was 15 people. Allthough my experience was better then itm. There i met a lady from Australia that had taken before a private lesson with independent teacher at Art of Massage (www.artofmassage.webs.com). I was amazed because the price for 2 days private lesson was so much lower then the group lesson. About 1300 baht I gotta tell you in 2 days i learned more then in 2 weeks because the teacher was all about practice and feedback which is actually the most important. Before the only feedback i was getting was from students so it wasn't effective. Plus the atmosphere was so nice and worm and felt more like a friend. My teacher also cooked every day. It was amazing experience. I think that they were more motivated because you pay the teacher directly so there is no commision to a employer. I strongly propose to anyone who really want to learn thai massage to try a private lesson cause the most important thing is the feedback and the continuous correction. I think old medicine hospital is also very good but it helps if you have a prior understanding. By all means avoid ITM. its just a Money making temple. That was my experience in CM i hope i helped you. Have fun.
    P.S. My teachers name was Ms Wanna.

• Study Abroad

• Thai Massage Courses.My Experience.

by JuliaChen Written Apr 24, 2012

P.S. My teachers name was Ms Wanna.

• cmsong's Profile Photo

Thai Massages

by cmsong Updated Apr 4, 2011

There are loads of foot massages around the markets - THB 120 for 1 hr. But seeing there were SO many massage places around, we asked the Office Administrator where we stayed and she recommended her brother's (Joe) place (of course) near where we stayed.

The 1st night we tried the "Traditional Thai Massage" - 1 hr session for THB 150/pax, special offer. Normal price THB 200. It was really good - they wash your feet first, then you go upstairs to change into something comfortable for the bottom. Calming music surrounds the place while we enjoyed the massage.

The 2nd night we decided to try the "Aroma Oil Massage" - the owner recommended a 1.5 hr session for THB 600/pax but since we were repeat customers, we got a THB 100 discount & credit card fee waiver. (After this massage, I was half asleep ..... don't know whether it was because we had just done 6 hours of walking at the Royal Flora!)

This place is open from 11am till 10pm, 7 days a wk.

by Tusitala Written Nov 16, 2009

Let's Relax is a chain of massage places (they have outlets in Bangkok too) that are a cut above the rest. They are owned by the same people that operate the very upscale and expensive Rarinjinda Spas in Bangkok and CHiang Mai, and apply similar treatments and service in this shopping centre outlet.

Nicely decorated, the lemongrass smell alone as you walk in is enough to destress you.

Full choice of aromatic oil massages, traditional Thai body massage, or single treatments like foot reflexology, shoulder/neck, etc. I chose foot massage and slept soundly for most of that hour in the huge comfortable recliners. They start off with soaking the feet, and end with cup of tea and some healthy cookies, 45 min session about 350 baht.

5 star experience at 3 star price.

Massage and Spa Treatment

by Tusitala Written Nov 6, 2009

Chiang Mai has little massage places on every corner, and on every second corner is a spa place, and every now and again, there's somewhere really special.

Ban Sabai is one such place. In a secluded soi on the opposite side of the River Ping from town, it is tucked away in a typical Thai-style village. This is where the real life is lived, away from the tourist zone.

Swiss owner Mathhias and Thai wife Aew have created -- waited for the cliche, but it's deserved in this case -- a real tropical oasis. The design and decor are meticulously chosen and crafted to create a quintessential Chiang Mai Lanna feel. The garden grows rampant with banana and wild ginger, etc, and a pool nestles in the middle of it. And around the edges, the treatment salas and wonderfully appointed boutique hotel rooms. See website for yourself.

The aroma oil massage itself was a trifle disappointing, especially as it cost about 3000baht per person and we were sent into separate small back rooms -- both I and my partner felt the same way -- but the environment was well worth it. Especially as you can use the pool free before or after your spa session. So it is overall a lovely experience.

A Good and Cheap Massage in Old City

by Tusitala Written Jun 23, 2009

Every second shop seems to offer Traditional Thai Massage. So where do you start?

Well, most of them are good and do the job of relaxing sore back, legs, shoulders. But this place does a great hard massage (tell them: "LENG LENG" if you want it harder) with oil, dip your feet in cold lemon water, and give you a cup of hot tea afterwards, all for the standard price.

Nothing fancy: just a curtain screen to shelter you from the internet users at the front of the room.

Standard fees: 150-250 per hour, depending on what oil, technique, etc, you want.

• June.b's Profile Photo

Thai Massage Course in Chiang Mai

by June.b Updated Oct 11, 2008

Practical Lessons

Mainly, it's the massage course that brought me to Chiangmai.

There are several Thai massage school in this city mostly vying for the best thai massage school, and most of the major ones are accredited by the Ministry of Education of Thailand.

I chose the Shivagakomarpaj Thai Massage School (Old Medicine Hospital) basically because it's the cheapest one. The 10-day course cost only THB5,000, the 3-day Foot Massage is THB2,500, inclusive of instruction booklet with illustrations and blank pages where you scribble your notes and write your daily homework. The other popular schools charges twice as much which was broken down into a curriculum of different levels - either 2 or 3 levels in 2 to 3 weeks.

Shivagakomarpaj or the Old Medical Hospital is reputedly the oldest one in Chiang Mai and based on research it’s where most locals study thai massage and some of those who put up their own massage schools have taken the basic courses at this school. Now, that overshadowed my main reason.

Well, it turned out to be a really good school. Complete facilities -- airconditioned classrooms on the 4th floor (for foreign English-speakers) and ground floor for local thais. But after the noontime break, everyone joins in (local and foreign) for the practical lessons on the 2nd floor – complete with clean crisp sheets on massage mattresses, pillows, lockers for your stuff, washrooms with soaps and towels.

The 10-day course is extensive, from 9 to 12NN is theoretical – writing and listening to the witty and (sometimes) funny English-speaking teacher. Then, a 1-hour break from 12 to 1pm, and the practice of what have been discussed and chapters on the book will be done from 1 til 4pm.

It’s a daily routine so it’s always in pairs. They encourage you to practice the massage lessons with different partners each day to get familiarized with different body type and shapes. A demo will be exhibited first (both are instructors/teachers), after which you will be doing the same with your partner.

After the end of the day, you get to write down your homework which you will do at home, and will be checked and stamped/sealed the following morning.

It’s like I’m back to schooling!!!!

On Day 9, there’s a written examination, and a practical exam will be on Day 10 where you will do a 1 and a half massage with your teacher as your client. This will be followed in the afternoon with the graduation ceremony – with your hard-earned certificate!

A highly recommended itinerary if you have ample time, otherwise, the 3-day Foot Massage Course is likewise very interesting and easier to learn and practiced which I took also.

Now, I am giving free massge to my friends and colleagues who are truly amazed. (I might have to charge them later though...)

Shivagakomarpaj (Old Medical School) is highly recommended for this course, inexpensive yet comprehensive.

• Study Abroad

• Daily Massage course

by Rene69 Written May 19, 2008

I did a 1/2 day massage course (foot reflexology) and my friend a 1 day back Thai Massage course at NAMO Chiang Mai and it was a great experience. In 3 hours I learned foot to give a foot massage of 30 minutes, the teacher spoke great english and explained everything very well, and together with the course they gave me a book, so I will not forget what I have been practicing. I think it is a great experience if you want to know a little bit more about massage, but do not have too much time on your hands

• PierreZA's Profile Photo

by PierreZA Written Mar 24, 2008

Massage

It is hard to escape having a massage or even a few. There are many, many places to choose from. It really seems as if massaging (traditional Thai and foot) is very much part of the day to day living for Thai people.
    The average fee for a Traditional Thai massage is about 150 Baht for an hour, and the same for a foot massage (March 2008).
    I would say that this is a must do while in Chiang Mai.

• yipsufen's Profile Photo

Traditional Lanna Thai Spa Experience

by yipsufen Updated Jan 13, 2008

Sinativa Spa Club

Sinativa Spa Club, the original Chiang Mai spa established since 1997, located at the heart of Chiang Mai city.

In conjuction with their 10th anniversary promotion, I have tried their 3-hour romantic full spa package for only THB160 (excluding 7% VAT):-
    Deep cleansing facial treatment
    Relaxing full body holistic aromatherapy massage (my choice Lavender essential oil)
    Herbal body scrub (my choice Coconut)
    Herbal steam
    Mineral / floral bath jacuzzi (my choice Milk)

Free pick-up and transportation back to hotel within Chiang Mai city. Open from 8am till 10pm.

My overall experience was a pleasant one. The ambience is rustic & natural, staff are friendly, prices are reasonable & quiet environment. Although the coumpound is not as big as a spa resort, but Sinativa Spa Club is housed in a bungalow set in a garden. If you prefer mid-range priced spa, then this is the place of your choice.

You will be welcomed by their friendly staff for a refreshing drink. Then they will help you to choose a suitable essential oil and body scrub according to your needs. Once payment has been made, you will be ushered into a changing room with locker, dressing table and other amenities provided for your convenience.

In the treatment room the light is dimmed with some soothing music playing. The air is also filled with fragrant smell. However, I found the room was a bit stuffy with air-conditioned switched off.

Deep cleansing facial treatment was average. Relaxing full body holistic aromatherapy massage was detailed with strength applied moderately. Herbal body scrub was too short for full back exfoliation. Herbal steam was ok but I didn't like the feeling of being trapped in a small enclosure. Mineral / floral bath jacuzzi was fantastic with big bath tub, definitely a wonderful experience.

A highly recommended spa boutique, give it a try.

• yipsufen's Profile Photo

Thai Massage

by yipsufen Updated Dec 16, 2007

Foot massage at the street

Massage at the street or inside a shop. Relieve your muscle ache from non-stop shopping or hilltribe trekking on the spot. Price from THB100 to THB250 per hour and quality may differ too. Services include foot reflexology, neck & shoulder massage, Thai body massage, etc.

• Luxury Travel

• danlisha's Profile Photo

Massages

by danlisha Written Jun 30, 2007

Signboard

With our tired bodies, body massages are a great way to unwind and relax. Since the parlour was just next to our guesthouse, there was simply no excuse not to indulge. Under the hands of qualified ladies, the massages were uplifting and gave us the 'sexual high'.

The hour-long massage was extremely relaxing that my friend and I had to come back for more. On our second visit, both of us were allocated to a private room. The low pricing was of course a bonus! Though other parlours are also offering relatively the same rates, this place is quiet and away from any crowds.

The service was the best. Will definitely return for more.

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Foot Massage on the Street

by thedouglas Updated Apr 21, 2007

Mr Magic Fingers

At 120Baht each, its hard to pass up a 1 hour foot massage right at the door of your hotel - where you can sip something cold and be generally pampered. We did this most nights during our recent visit to Chiang Mai. Works well as a relaxant at the end of a footsore day.

I had a literal sore foot one day, having lost my footing on the hotel stairs in the morning. I'd bought linament and a supportive elastic garment, hobbled painfully all day, and worried about the impact this would have on my holiday, and essential walking. I was tentative about a massage that night, having been advised against it by a pharmacist. However, what a difference - he gently massaged and manipulated my foot, and it was much better by the time I got up to walk to the hotel. It was nearly back to normal in the morning!

• imstress's Profile Photo

Cheap & Good Massage

by imstress Written Dec 18, 2006

Foot Massage at Sunday Night Market

After a long day of sightseeing and shopping at the night bazzar or Sunday night Market, it is time to pamper ourselves with very affordable massage.

We first had our feet massage done at the Sunday Night Market and instantly got hooked on it.

The next day we went to The Night Bazzar at the Peak and came across Kwanjira Massage & Therapy which was opened by Peter Chong from Singapore.

This massage shop is very popular and the rates are very reasonable. They are the only shop that provide feet soak for foot massage. Their staff are all certified and well-trained professional.

The shop is located at The Peak Night Bazzar at Changklan Rd.

THB60 - for 30 mins of foot massage
    THB60 - for 30 mins of back, shoulder, head and arm massage
    THB150 - for 1hr of Thai Massage

They do sport massage for those who suffers from sport injuries.

Send my regards to Peter and tell him you are from Virtual Tourist when you are have your massage ;p

Instant Answers: Chiang Mai