Chiang Rai Restaurants

by yatingchen

Most Recent Restaurants in Chiang Rai

• Yunan Restaurant: Chinese restaurant in Chiang Rai: Not worht the price

by crop1 Written Mar 11, 2014

We just ate at this restaurant and I had to write a review right away. The food was not great, the service was worse. I had to speak to 4 different people to even pay our bill. Even our waitress tried to seat us when I went to the front of the restaurant to pay. The food is way way overpriced. We had three small dishes and two soda for 655 Baht.

Favorite Dish: We had soft-shell crab, beef with oyster sauce and eggplant with basil. None of the dishes were very good and the eggplant with basil was missing the basil.

• Doi Chang: Best Coffe Of Thailand

by Alufrankie Written Nov 18, 2013

In this coffehouse, you think, that you are in Vienna. Excellent Cappucino and fine bakery.

Most guests are Thai people. Good atmosphere and free internet.

Favorite Dish: I always take the Cappucino. Much better, than in the big coffe shops.

Cappucino
    • Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• akkipaa's Profile Photo

Cat Bar: Ah, cold beer and the Cat

by akkipaa Written Oct 18, 2012

Smiling, helpful and friendly service starting from outside and continuing whole of you stay. It's a music bar we didn't see live music but the sounds were smooth and not laud. Next time I check the live part, it might start 10:30pm but don't be disappointed if not, check in advance.

(Cat doesn't mean any cat or girls, you can relax.)

Favorite Dish: A you see, Gin tonic and Singha!

• Phalaenopsis03's Profile Photo

Cabbages and Condoms: Food and Safe Sex

by Phalaenopsis03 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I missed my chance to eat at C&C in Bangkok, but redeemed myself in Chiang Rai - and I'm glad I did. The food was yummy and the atmosphere was most amusing. I mean, how could it not with a slogan, "Our food is guaranteed not to make you pregnant."

Our table ordered two types of tilapia entrees with one more spicier than the other, as well as a variety of curry dishes, soups, and other delightful treats. All were great!

On average, the bill came out to 200 Bht per person, which is approximately $5.25.

C&C is a restaurant with a mission - a mission to promote safe sex. Eat there and help support condom use and Aids awareness. =)

B.K.K. Chiang Rai Steak: Carnivore's paradise

by Willettsworld Written Nov 28, 2009

This place was just up the road from where I was staying at the Janson House (see my accommodation tip). Like the sign says, it's a steak place and if you're a bit of a carnivore then you're in for a treat. The menu is packed with meat such as sausages, burgers, chicken, pork, lamb and beef. A western hippie guy told me to go for the "4-combo" which took him 1.5hrs to eat so I ordered it and it came on one of the biggest plates I've ever seen - 14" or 15" wide! He wasn't wrong. You can choose 4 meat items from a large list that comes served with fries, garlic bread and coleslaw. Great stuff and just what the doctor ordered!

Siam Corner: Good for lunch

by Willettsworld Written Nov 28, 2009

I came here a couple of times for lunch and had some good food such as sweet and sour pork and beef in oyster sauce. The portions are a good size and the owners quite a nice guy. They also serve many western dishes such as burgers, salads and sandwiches plus the normal Thai fayre.

Maharaja's: The worst Indian ever

by Willettsworld Updated Nov 28, 2009

As I'm British and we have a large number of Indian restaurants back home, I feel that I know what to expect when it comes to Indian food. When I saw this place, I thought, right I'm come here as I was craving for an Indian after not having one since I was in Bangkok. So I walked in and started ordering papads (poppadoms) only for the waiter to say that they couldn't get them from Bangkok! "What?", I said. Now I love poppadoms and they, as far as I know, are easy to cook so to hear someone say that they get them delivered was just ridiculous. Anyway, I carried on ordering but wished I hadn't as when the food arrived, the naan bread was undercooked, the steamed rice was oily, and the chicken vindaloo wasn't spicy and looked like it came out of a can as the chunks of meat looked processed into of fresh. So I stormed out in disgust without paying, even leaving my beer! Hopeless, don't bother.

Night Market: Food court stalls

by Willettsworld Written Nov 28, 2009

The food court next to the Night Market is a great place to go to choose from a whole raft of local dishes. The court has two sides where kitchen after kitchen has a menu on boards above the counter, most of which are in Thai and English. Like all food courts you can take one dish from one place and something else from another. Try some kebabs with a chicken rice and basil. It may blow you away (spicy) but for 50B all in, it's got to be worth a try. Regional dishes include roasted pig intestines plus I saw one selling a range of insects and naturally most dishes come with sticky rice. At each end of the court are counters selling water, beer and soft drinks. The food court is a great way to start the evening without hurting your wallet.

Pizza Company: Thai pizza chain

by Willettsworld Written Nov 28, 2009

This is a pizza chain that you can find all over Thailand that's very similar to a Pizza Hut or a Dominos in the west. I filled myself up with a few of their pizzas during my travels around Thailand as it was nice to take a break from rice and noodles once in a while. They do pan crust, crispy crust, cheese crust pizza types with a large range of toppings and combo meals. For desert, you can go to Swensons Ice Cream nearby.

• lifemagic's Profile Photo

Da Vinchi Restaurant: Greek Salad to Die For

by lifemagic Written Jan 6, 2008

This place is fantastic, one of the best I went to. The Greek salad had a huge chunk of feta, loads of olives. The garlic bread was huge. Tomato soup well made, well flavoured, good colour and came with bread with a dip. Pizza was only fair being made with tomato sauce, but the four cheese one was good.

Very nice atmosphere at night time inside. Nicely decorated. Friendly, intelligent staff who speak good English, warn you when they're busy and the food will take longer, and paraphrase when they're not sure if you said 'Greek', or 'Green' salad etc. Didn't get to use the toilet, but very nice. Makes a great intro if you've just arrived as leaving the bus station you can almost see it. It's the first place facing you when you walk to the main road. Only open for lunch and dinner though.

Favorite Dish: The Greek Salad man!

• mim95's Profile Photo

All you can eat Thai hot pot

by mim95 Updated Jan 3, 2008

Thai hot pot is very similar to Chinese hot pot, except that there is a grill plate in the center of the pot. It is called "moo kata" in Thai, meaning a pot with pork. So you'll find all kinds of pork here, plus just about anything else. Hot water is poured into the surrounding pot, which is powered by hot charcoal below it. First you put the pork fat on the grill so that the food doesn't stick on it. Then you simply put the food on either the grill plate or the hot water to cook it. Once it's done, you dip it into the sauce, and eat!

This is an all you can eat restaurant, and it's better to get here early, even though the restaurant is opened until midnight, it seems like they don't refill the food after 9 or so. We were there at 7:30 and the food selection is still good. (They open at 5pm.) There is a variety of meat, fish balls, vegetables and dessert. Simply grab whatever you want from the table outside, bring it back and cook it in the pot. You can refill as many times as you want.

Few seats are under the roof, and it can get cold after dark. There is a large screen showing Thai tv. So you can enjoy the entertainment as you eat.

Drinks, of course, are not part of the all you can eat deal. That's how they make money. Each person is 69B excluding drinks.

It is certainly an interesting experience if you never have hot pot before. The only complaint is that the food takes a long time to cook, as compare to Chinese hot pot. My Thai friends told me to let the food sit inside the pot for at least 10 minutes if you don't want to get sick.

Thai style hot pot, Chiang Rai dining under the stars (and lights), Chiang Rai

Chinese breakfast in Mae Salong

by mim95 Written Jun 1, 2007

As mentioned earlier, fried dough sticks and congee are typical Chinese style breakfast. Fried dough sticks also go well with soy milk. I prefer the former but only the later can be found in Mae Salong, in the morning market next to Shin Sane GH. I prefer sweet soy milk, but they seem to add to much sweet syrup in it. The next day I bought some steamed pork buns outside the market, and I like it better than the other day.

The market is very busy in early morning. By the time I came down from viewing the sunrise (around 7am, I think), the place was really alive, both inside and outside. People prefer to go to the market early for the freshest meat and vegetables.

The fried dough sticks and soy milk cost: 12B
    2 steamed pork buns and soy milk cost: 15B

fried dough sticks and soy milk inside the busy market outside the marekt

Street food in Mae Salong

by mim95 Updated Jun 1, 2007

This sweet eat is called "bah" in Yunnanese. It is made of glutenous rice flour, and is grilled over the coal-powered mini stove, then sugar is added in the middle and is folded. Serve in a banana leave.

It is a great snack if you have very sweet teeth. :) I think it is 10B for one.

Yunnanese noodles in Mae Salong

by mim95 Updated Jun 1, 2007

Tried the Yunnanese noodles soup at the small restaurant not too far from Shin Sane GH. I had a bowl of beef noodles soup. It is the thick type of noodles in a spicy broth, served with some pickled spicy vegetables, that isn't as hot as the Korean kimchi. A very tasty lunch for 25B.

I don't remember if there is a name for this restaurant. It is a really small place with a few tables.

Yunnanese noodles

Street side roti

by mim95 Written May 31, 2007

Roti is a popular snack in Thailand. It is made of flour and cooked on the hot plate with butter. Eggs, evaporated milk, and banana can be added.

In Chiang Rai, a permanant street stall can be found near the clock tower, at the southwest corner of Banphaprakan Road and Jet Yot Road. Banana roti cost 17B. I think the plain ones cost around 10B.

street side roti

Instant Answers: Chiang Rai

Comments

Chiang Rai Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Chiang Rai restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Chiang Rai sightseeing.