Lampang Nightlife

• planxty playing at rock star, Lampang, Thailand.
    planxty playing at rock star, Lampang,...
    by planxty
    Gibbon Bar, Lampang, Thailand.
    by planxty
    Please Bar, Lampang, Thailand.

Best Rated Nightlife in Lampang

• planxty's Profile Photo

Gibbon Bar: If they don't want my money........

by planxty Written Jan 13, 2010

Gibbon Bar, Lampang, Thailand.

I had heard about the Gibbon Bar, one of the strip along Th.Thalat Kao the street nearest the river which seems to provide the town's nightlife. I wandered in one night and sat down, there being obvious waiter service. Well, I say obvious waiter service by which I mean there were obvious waiters and nothing at all in the way of service. I understand Thailand is not Europe and I am quite happy with different standards of service but this was ridiculous. I waited for about 15 minutes, continuously trying to attract waiters attention, and they studiously avoided me. Bearing in mind the competition in this area for custom with a number of places offering broadly the same things at the same prices, I do not understand this at all.

Even in Asia, I do not expect to wait for that length of time, so I took myself elsewhere. I did have an opportunity to listen to a few songs from the house band who seemed competent.

My advice is to avoid this place. Let's be honest, there are so many other better options within five minutes walk, why would you bother with this?

Dress Code: Nil

• planxty's Profile Photo

Relax Bar: You should be safe enough!

by planxty Written Jan 13, 2010

planxty playing at rock star, Lampang, Thailand.

Don't let the photo accompanying this tip put you off, the chances are that if you visit the rather pleasant Relax Bar I won't be there doing my best to ruin the atmosphere with my playing, although it was thoroughly enjoyable! This is one of the strip of night spots situated on Th. Thalat Kao the street nearest the river and, when I am not ruining the house bands best efforts it is a nice place for a drink, a bite to eat and to listen to the live music which is provided every evening. It tends to be a mix of Thai and Western pop songs with fairly interchangeable male and female vocalists. The guy pictured playing bass is the owner, a really nice guy who speaks good English having lived in the UK for a time.

There are a number of very similar places in about a 200 yard strip along this road but I find this one to be one of the better ones with a nice river view, plaeasant at dusk.

Dress Code: None, I played barefoot!

• planxty's Profile Photo

Please Bar / Restaurant.: Very good music.

by planxty Written Jan 15, 2010
    Please Bar, Lampang, Thailand.

Most of the places along Th. Talat Kao (the "night" strip near the river) seem to offer much the same services and, frankly, I think the place has become oversubscribed with venues. The customer base just will not support it. If you do like live music of the one man and his guitar variety, however, this place is a good bet. A very talented Thai guy plays on an electro acoustic every night between eight and ten. After this, I know he goes off to play other gigs all over the province. Being of the vaguely musical persuasion myself, I engaged him in conversation one night. Thankfully, he spoke a bit of English as my Thai is frankly lamentable even after all these visits. The place fuctions as both restaurant and bar, although I did not eat here. Service is efficient and friendly, and it is a good place to start your night before heading off to one of the later places.

Dress Code: None.

Instant Answers: Lampang

Comments

Lampang Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Lampang nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lampang sightseeing.