Lampang Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by robertjandev
  • Aroy One Baht restaurant, Lampang, Thailand.
    Aroy One Baht restaurant, Lampang,...
    by planxty
  • Local restaurant, near Lampang, Thailand.
    Local restaurant, near Lampang,...
    by planxty

Most Recent Restaurants in Lampang

• The Salad Cafe: Organic salads & Western breakfast!

by robertjandev Written Apr 7, 2013

After visiting the temple Wat Pratu Ton Phueng in Lampang we noticed this cozy cafe close to the temple. We actually stopped over for coffee but ended up having a full breakfast. They had a great looking salad bar and also a Western style breakfast menu, so we decided to have a bit of both.

The food and drinks they offered were almost all organically grown and locally sourced which you could really taste. Everything they offered was of great quality. The service was of very high standard which we only had experienced in a five star hotel in Bangkok.

What also made this place very different from other places we visited in Thailand was its appearance. The cafe had a Western look to it with loads of posters and pictures from all over. It was really nice there and we would definitely go back if we visit Lampang again in the future.

Favorite Dish: For me the cereals breakfast was just perfect, freshly cut fruits with yogurt, cereals and a bit of honey. just what I was craving for after eating Thai food for breakfast, lunch and dinner during our 2 weeks holiday in Thailand. My wife loved the salad she ordered, fresh green leaves with many toppings to choose from, a real treat. In everything they served you could taste the freshness.

• Luxury Travel
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Photography

• planxty's Profile Photo

Unnamed restaurant.: Wonderful local flavour.

by planxty Updated Dec 21, 2011

Local restaurant, near Lampang, Thailand.

This tip refers to a "restaurant" not actually in Lampang itself, but read on for the details, it is well worth it. This place is frankly one of the reasons I go travelling, for the sheer joy of being somewhere where you look different, can't speak more than about ten words of the language (none of which include the item (singular) on the menu) and you are a long way out of your comfort zone. Actually, that is not a good way to put it as I felt more comfortable here than I would have done in a Michelin starred restaurant in some European capital.

Having visited the nearby Wat Lai Hin (see seperate tip) I needed a bottle of water as the day was hot and I like to keep hydrated. I wandered into what is effectively a roadside shack (pictured) and they had no bottled water, so I opted for a soft drink (soda for my American friends). The place was full of what were obviously local agricultural and construction workers, all reviving themselves with the ubiquitous noodle soup. I had been met with frankly open, although not unfriendly, stares when I went in and responded with a few basic greetings, although it was patently obvious they do not see foreigners here and I was something of an oddity.

Watching all this frenzied eating made me a bit hungry so I thought I would have a bite to eat. As I intimated earlier, there was only one dish on the menu, noodle soup, a great staple in these parts, and the making of it is something to watch. There is a large vat of stock bubbling away and the lady in charge takes a small metal basket on a wooden handle and stuffs it with assorted veg., fresh glass noodles and a small amount of meat, in this case pork (moo) which is my favourite anyway. No more than a minute later the entire lot is deposited in a bowl and served. Talk about transparency in cooking - no hidden secrets in the kitchen here, she does it all in front of you.

A bit of pointing showed what I wanted, and she set to work. The meal was duly served in double quick time. Then the fun began. You may remember the old Western films where the stranger walks into the bar and everything stops. The piano player closes his instrument up, the bar girls disappear upstairs, the barman finds something to do behind the bar etc. This was exactly the same thing, and literally everyone in the place stopped to see what the farang (white man) was going to make of the food. Well, this was not a problem. As I have indicated in other tips, I love spicy food and I am also well aware of the "etiquette" surrounding the eating of the noodle soup. In went the chilli vinegar, chiilies and all, in went the chilli flakes and in went the bottled chiili sauce, all tempered by a small amount of sugar. One old lady tried to stop me with the chiili flakes, obviously fearing for my well-being but I just smiled at her and gave her the universal thumbs up.

I don't know if you have ever tried to eat with an entire restaurant of people looking at you but it is an interesting experinece to say the least! I really do think they expected me to fall off the seat and fall to the floor screaming and clutching my throat. Nothing of the sort. It was absolutely delicious, and I indicated as much when I finished it to the last dop and noodle. I think they must have been slightly impressed as they all went back to their own eating after I had got about half way through.

When it came to the bill, I was charged a frankly ludicrous amount, it was literally pennies (about 60 pence sterling including the Fanta). I have been lucky enough to have eaten in some superb restaurants all over the world and have thoroughly enjoyed it, but for the sheer pleasure of eating simply cooked, delicious local food amongst local people this place takes some beating. You really should go. Just put a smile on your face, be prepared to laugh a lot, especially at yourself, and I guarantee you a meal you will not forget in a hurry.

Absolutely recommended.

Favorite Dish: Then noodle soup, it is all they have!

• planxty's Profile Photo

Aroy One Baht.: Crowded and rightly so.

by planxty Written Jan 27, 2010

Aroy One Baht restaurant, Lampang, Thailand.

This restaurant, which I am told translates as Delicious One Baht (Baht being the Unit of currency in Thailand) is extrmely popular and consistently crowded with locals and tourists alike. Whilst I did not see anything on the menu at one Baht, it is certainly not expensive and it's popularity merely a reflection of the excellent quality of the food. I had a duck with vegetable meal with rice naturally but the highlight of the whole event for me was the pickled vegetables. Whilst they were not similar to the Korean kimchi, which I adore, they were abolutely delicious, and I really must try and find a recipe somewhere.

The service here is extrmely rapid by local standards and I dread to think how many of a brigade there must be in the kitchen such was the volume of food that seemed to come out of it.

Favorite Dish: The duck was excellent but the pickled vegetable accompaniment was the highlight for me.

• Beer Tasting

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Riverside: Live music by the river

by Willettsworld Written Nov 26, 2009

As its name suggests, this restaurant and bar is located along the riverside, near the western end of Th Talat Kao. I came here and had a beef with sautéed mushrooms, rice, shrimp chips, Chang beer and a piece of apple cake with ice cream from their extensive menu for 290 baht. They have live music playing here with the group playing mostly 70s/80s western ballads such as Hotel California, Let It Be, Fields of Gold and Toto's Africa. It's a popular place for business people - Thai and western alike.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Aroy One Baht: Popular with young teens

by Willettsworld Written Nov 26, 2009

This place, with its wooden stools and tables, is very popular with young teens and those in their twenties. On the menu is snakehead fish, lots of pork, fish in coconut sauce, salads, soups and cheap beer such as large Chang for 40 baht. The food arrives quicker than some fast food joints like KFC or McDonalds!

Vegetarian restaurant - 'khin chee': Buddhist Vegetarian restaurant

by picek Written Sep 15, 2008

Look out for this small vegetarian restaurant at Robwiang road (somewhat 40 m further from kindergarden/primary school on your left and 10 m before songthaew stop and Ka Fe restaurant) ran by friendly lady who cooks all of foods by herself. You'll be able to get freshest foods like curries and fried veggies in the morning and soup or chinese steamed bread 'bao zi' throughout the day. Usually there are 4-5 vegan dishes to choose from and always some soy sausages or 'meat' plus plain rice to eat with. Price for a meal is about 30 THB (soup is a bit cheaper). She also seels spices, dried mushroom, 'meat', sauces and soups for vegan cooking and some Buddhist books and music in her restaurant.
    You'll recognize place by yellow-red signs in Thai outside the restaurant. She speaks some English and Mandarin and she's alotherther very nice person.

Favorite Dish: I loved spicy red tomato sauce with minced 'meat' and plain rice. Or mushroom foods. For meal you may want to try simple noodle soup with vegetables or red bean 'bao zi' which is excellent stuff.

• Religious Travel
    • Women's Travel

KA FE resaturant: tasty foods in KA FE

by picek Written Sep 15, 2008

That small, family restaurant with simple name is not just a place to drink coffee but also to try some of the delicous foods cooked here like different kinds of tom yums, fried foods, fried rice and some salads. Friendly service and affordable prices makes that place popular among locals, especially young people. It's at Robwiang road, next to songthaew stop to Ko Kha (or 5 min walking from Robwiang-Suandok intersection, you'll notice a few songthaews in front of Ka Fe). The owner speaks good English, menu is in Thai.

Favorite Dish: tom yum with seafood (50 THB) and vegetarian fried rice (with lots of vegetables)

Aroy One Bath: great place to dine out

by picek Written May 19, 2008

It's Thai name is Aroy Bath Diew and it means fast and delicious. It's nice place to dine out in the wooden house with nice two terraces in the shade, has delicious fresh and cheap Thai food, friendly staff, lively atmosphere and it's near Night Market or Talad Kao rd (it's parallel to it). It's open from 4 pm until 12 pm and you'll notice it anyway, because it's popular place for locals and difficult to get a free table when night market is open.

Favorite Dish: I've tried few dishes, my favourite was spicy vegetable soup which had a lot of mushroom, enough spices and lemongrass - all that well balanced as it should be. If you like seafood, then try spicy seafood salad. It has a lot of onion and it's very nice.

• Trains

• yatingchen's Profile Photo

Lampang Wiengthong Hotel: Lampang Wiengthong Hotel

by yatingchen Written Feb 17, 2008

Oh delicious food

The taste of the buffet is fine and I can't forget it at all.
    Personally I suggested you Thai green curry, fish ball soupe and laksa curry noodles.

Instant Answers: Lampang

Comments

Lampang Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Lampang restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lampang sightseeing.