Sukhothai Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Sukhothai

steps up to Wat Saphan Hin

by gib157 Updated Apr 4, 2011
    hill steps

The steps up to Wat Saphan Hin and Wat Phra Bat Noi are made of slabs of slate. I remember on the way up there are small Chedi's and other points of interest just off of the path, as well as many other ruins further down the hill, over the road and into the forest, but i didnt see them all.

I have included a link to a website I found which contains very detailed and interesting information about all of the Sukhothai temples and ruins.

Pra Ruang Dam

by gib157 Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Pra Ruang resevoir

Pra Ruang Dam is an earthen dam further south of Wat Pra Bat Noi - "The water from this dam once kept the ponds and moats of the city full the entire year. It must also have been used for agricultural purposes"

It's nothing especially great but I liked it. It reminded me of the landscapes I am familiar with in Scotland - only a lot more green!

• ishi01's Profile Photo

Dont Miss Out on the Gems Off The Beaten Path

by ishi01 Written Jan 15, 2010
    Si Satchanalai

I would like to suggest, if you can spare the time, to go check out Kamphaeng Phet which is also home to a UNESCO world heritage site and Si Satchanalai-chaliang historical park. Both are quieter and less visted by tourist but are gems nevertheless. Unfortunately, Kaphaeng Phet is situated about 1.5 hours drive from Sukhothai and Si Satchanalai is about 1 hour drive.

In all Sukhothai and the surrounding sites deserve at least 2 days; and even that is pushing it but having travelled so far to Sukhothai and missing these two would simply be a shame.

• Archeology

• HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Wat Thawet

by HasTowelWillTravel Updated May 29, 2008

Worshipping the Buddha

This wat is not on the typical tourist path. It was designed by a devout Buddhist during the 1970s in accordance to the sights he remembered from his dreams. This special wat is broken into several sections. One depicts the various segments of the life of the Buddha. Certainly one of the most memorable, if disturbing, sections was the one depicting various scenes from Buddhist hell. And a final 3-tiered tiled structure, whose purpose I was unable to ascertain. A strange and wonderful place, worth a side trip.

• Archeology
    • Architecture

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Old kilns

by thedouglas Updated Nov 1, 2006

Old kiln

We stopped and had a look at some of the old kilns around the walls of Sukhothai - and, after scratching around only very briefly, I had trophied a few pieces of original old Sukhothai broken ceramic objects!

Buddha at Wat Saphan Hin

by gib157 Written Apr 18, 2005

Buddha

I found this to be one of the most, if not the most beautiful buddha images i saw in Thailand. It was so simple, only just shorter than me, but the shape was perfect, and the expression - so full of calm and reasurring contentment. There was still some gold left on the face, and I really liked that someone had placed a golden cloth around the shoulders. I know this is nothing unusual, but it looked so subtle - the evidence that it was a site still cared for, and that someone was dedicated enough to return here and do this

Wat Pra Bat Noi

by gib157 Updated Apr 18, 2005
    Wat Pra Bat Noi

Wat Pra Bat Noi (Lesser Footprint hill)is another ruin just south of Wat Saphan Hin. Very overgrown and crumbling. I find something very fascinating about these hidden relicts. I saw no one else in these places and it made it feel a lot more beautiful to me. After coming from the crowded Wat Sri Chum a totally deserted hill top ruin from hundreds of years past is something special.

There was a temple I went to in Cambodia called Phnon Bakheng and there was also a footprint in the same position (facing east) as the one here. My guide told me it represents the foot of buddha taking a giant leap - supposedly the other footprint is miles further east somewhere?

Wat Saphan Hin

by gib157 Written Apr 18, 2005
    Towering Buddha statue

This is one of the temples to the west of Sukhothai, on the hill. It has a very impressive buddha statue with fantastic views over the fields. I cylce here then walked up about 200 steps to get to it, worth the trip i think.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

smaller wats

by call_me_rhia Written Jun 19, 2004

one smaller wat

Old Sukhothai is full of smaller wats that are worth visiting. Each has its own distinctive character - and each its own particulatrattraction: the more you see, the more you want to see (and this is the reson why you need to rent a bycicle). This one in the picture (whose name i don't know9 is possible the one I liked most, because of the curious "walled" buddha image.

• atri's Profile Photo

Try Sri Satchanalai National Park

by atri Updated Apr 21, 2003
    bicycles stand

I believe it is "off the beaten path", although I have check pages of other VTers because I think that most of people visit more popular places as Ayuthai or Sukhothai.

this place, although very close to Sukhotai (50 km north of Sukhothai), might be left from the busy usual tourists schedule and therefore nice to visit. there is small section about it in Lonely Planet about Thailand within Sukhotai chapter.

to my surprise - one can rent very cheap a tent, bicycles and even sleeping bag there to sleep in the premises of the National park itself. otherwise there are enough simple bungalows - sorry I didn't check thier rent charge, but I guess it shouldn't be more than in Bangkok or some islands, which are very cheap for westerners anyway.

• National/State Park

• luciano's Profile Photo

Sukhothai has an amazing...

by luciano Written Sep 26, 2002

Sukhothai has an amazing historical city, included in the Unesco world heritage list. I had the impression there of being rather off the beaten path, as the foreign tourists where few and the new city is so small.

Instant Answers: Sukhothai

Comments

Sukhothai Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Sukhothai off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sukhothai sightseeing.