Sukhothai Restaurants

Chicken and Basil stir fry

Most Recent Restaurants in Sukhothai

The Ruen Thai Guesthouse: Tasty local Food

by IreneMcKay Updated Jun 23, 2012

We ate in our hotel restaurant twice. The food was tasty and good. I especially liked the pork wonton, but the chicken curry was very good, too. We washed it all down with some excellent bottles of beer Chang.

Cafes near Old Sukhothai: Cafes of Old Sukhothai

by IreneMcKay Updated Jun 23, 2012

There was a whole row of little cafes, restaurants along the main road that lead to the entrance to the old city. We tried two of them for drinks and snacks and found them very pleasant. We were under the impression there was nowhere to eat in Old Sukhothai. This certainly was not the case during the day. Not sure how late they stayed open. Plenty of choice here.

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

Poo Restaurant: Friendly service, good food.

by IreneMcKay Updated Jun 23, 2012

We tried this restaurant because we had seen other reviews of it and because it was right next to the songthaew stop where you get off when returning from the Old City. The restaurant is owned by a Belgian man and his Thai wife. The Thai woman who served us (not sure if it was the wife) was very pleasant. The restaurant does lots of Belgian beers as well as Thai beers. We stuck to the excellent draught beer Chang, but if you fancy a change this may be the place for you. The tastiest dish we had was Sukhothai noodles with chicken. We also had a green curry which was good but very mild and a bit sweet. All in all good food, good service, very reasonable price and convenient location. Who could ask for more?

• Beer Tasting

Coffee Cup: Good Coffee

by ishi01 Updated Jan 16, 2010
    Yummy ice coffee

The ice coffee taste really good though a tad bit sweet. They serve good mango and tangerine juice.

The menu is as thick as the sukhothai telephone directory. So whatever you desire; local thai or western fare, they can whip it up for you..fast!

Favorite Dish: The food in general taste good....if you dont know how real thai food is supposed to taste like. To me everything thai about the food was watered down, from the nampla, to the birds eye chillies and even the prawn paste does not have that nasty smelly rotting aroma that makes thai food taste so good. A clear case of bending backwards to cater to the western taste buds.

The only saving grace (for me) as far as the food is concerned, is the fried banana split.

Everything else was edible, fit for eating to survive rather than eating to enjoy the pleasure of flavour.

The iced coffee was very good - but be warned if you dont like your coffee sweet. Great for cooling down after a long day of Wat chasing.

Ban Thai Guesthouse: Needs a little bit of foot work

by ishi01 Written Jan 16, 2010
    Fresh Mango juice

Actually this place was called out by The Lonely Planet as their pick for a budget accomodation. But i noted their recommendation for the restaurant.

unfortunately, I only have one tummy. So i gave Ban thai a miss and opted for Poo restaurant for lunch. I did have a cool mango juice while checking out the place. Thumbs up for the mango juice; then again i have always had a soft spot for fresh mango juice.

Favorite Dish: Fresh mango juice

Poo Restaurant: Only If You Are Really Hungry

by ishi01 Updated Jan 16, 2010
    Dame Blanche

The Poo Restaurant was picked by the The Lonely PLanet as the recommended eating place. It is located in New Sukhothai right out on the main street. It blends in the surrounding shops so if you are driving or moped-ing and looking out for this place, do slow down.

The place is very simply decorated but clean. That to me is my criteria when eating out during my travels. They had a Tin Tin poster on the wall, a dead give away that the owner might somehow be, let see.., belgian? If anything at all, its a cool place and a reprieve from the hot sun.

During my visit, the restaurant was not busy. Modern thai music was blarring on the player.

Favorite Dish: The Lonely Planet recommended the Dame Blanche, which is ice cream covered with belgian chocolate. However, it did not do anything for me. I could have skipped it and won't miss a thing.

The Thai food is supposed to be tasty; I feel that it is edible - I would eat it if i were hungry but if i had the choice and time, i would go hunt for other eateries.

I also ordered the french (belgian) fries as the belgians are known for their fries. That did not do anything for me either. There was nothing special about their fries.

The Tharaburi Resort Cafe: Delicious Local Fare

by ishi01 Written Jan 15, 2010
    Prawn spring roll

My complain about cafes in Sukhothai is that they bend backwards to please the western palate at the detriment of taste.

Having travelled around Thailand quite a bit and with great thai restaurants in KL (notably the seacuisine group) cafes in Sukhothai comes across to me as having sacrificed what they are i.e. thai- in order to sell.

So, I was quite pleased that the cafe at the Tharaburi Resort had stuck to their guns and served authentic thai food. A cafe called out by The Lonely Planet served a watered down Nampla with bird's eye chilli- now why would anyone do that?

I did notice that TomYumGoong did NOT make it to the cafe's menu though.

But their green curry was tasty and so was a number of other dishes such as cashew and chicken stir fry, the cat fish dish (this is a local favourite) and all other stir fry normally found in thai restaurants.

Favorite Dish: Thai Green Curry.

Sometimes, due to the coconut milk, green curry tends to be a little bit too creamy which makes one sick of it after two spoons. This one was not too creamy.

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Coffee Cup: Along main road in Old Sukhothai

by Willettsworld Written Nov 24, 2009

This place is located along the main road in Old Sukhothai, just before you go around the corner where the main entrance into the Sukhothai Historical Park is. There's a few other similar places nearby. There's an amazing choice in the menu which has photos of the food. There was a couple sitting near me who had some very good looking burgers.

• Mr.Sparkle's Profile Photo

Central Zone restaurants: Go where the locals go

by Mr.Sparkle Updated Feb 25, 2007
    lots of food!

When you’re in the Old City there’s no point in going back to the New Skuhothai to eat lunch. Near the Central Zone there are many fine restaurants to choose from. Some definitely cater to westerners, in terms of food selection, English menus and English speaking staff. However, the food is mediocre and the prices are really high.

If you want to find good food all you have to do is look for the place that is filled with Thai people. They might not have an English menu but most place have the kitchen right in front of the restaurant so you can just point to what ever you want to eat. Some local places do have English menus even though most foreigners seem to avoid going. The food is usually out of this world and really cheap. Count on spending about $2-$3 for several courses and soda.

Favorite Dish: Can't go wrong with any thing on the menu. Everything is fresh as well.

• Mr.Sparkle's Profile Photo

Khun Tanode: Good chicken

by Mr.Sparkle Written Feb 24, 2007

This is a nice laid back riverside restaurant. Certainly it’s a great place to grab some food and a drink or two, but might not be the most exciting place to spend your whole night.

Menus are in English and the staff speaks some English.

10am to Midnight

Favorite Dish: Don't miss the local speciality, Skuhothai fried drum sticks. At 60bath a plate why not get two?

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

No idea of the name!: Nice, open little cafe

by thedouglas Updated Aug 5, 2006

Have a drink and watch the world go by

This open little corner cafe was across the street from our hotel - the Riverview - and it was clean, well priced and owner had good English and good food! Beers were plentiful and cool, and we found some really good company sitting here in the hot early evenings. Breakfast was also good and well priced - with real coffee and nice omelettes.

We met an interesting expat at this little place, who was there every day, in the same spot, drinking and eating the same - and talking to himself! He was fine if we had a conversation with him, but quickly went back to his own mumblings when there was no talking!!

Favorite Dish: Cold beer!

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Who knows!: Eating while visiting the temples

by thedouglas Updated Apr 28, 2006

Waiting for his fruit shake!

We ate a very pleasant lunch at the eatery attached to the shops at Sukhothai within the Historical Park - which was located just across from Wat Mahathat - its set up like a "food court", and looks like a number of different restaurants, but it all appears to be run by the same group. Whilst there's a lot of competition for business, the various orders are made between the shops.

Favorite Dish: The fruit shakes were very very refreshing and welcome in the middle of the day.

• Archeology

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Night market: Try the fish!

by thedouglas Written Apr 28, 2006

The food at the night market was excellent, and we enjoyed this most nights we were there. Typical of this style of eatery, food very fresh and cooked in front of you. The spicy fish in chilli was juse to die for! I could eat this every day! Great spring rolls, and cold beer at the ready!

Favorite Dish: Fish in chilli - best food I ate in Thailand!

• largerama's Profile Photo

Night Market: Local, cheap and so so good

by largerama Written Feb 23, 2006

The night market and streets around in New Sukothai are filled every night with street stalls and the market with open air restaurants. They serve food to locals and tourists alike. Clean and good quality plus very cheap.

Favorite Dish: Try the Vegterian Jungle curry

• aserafica's Profile Photo

entrance to old Sulhothai: Very local food

by aserafica Written Nov 11, 2005

We were waiting for a tuktuk driver to drive us back to new Sukhothai after a pleasant tour of the Sukhothai ruins. I spotted an old woman poundind some herbs and cutting some vegetables in her kiosk. There's no menu and needless to say no English was spoken but the wonderful smell emanating from the womans mortar and pestle was too good to resist. So, with sign language we ordered whatever she was making and tasted one of the most delightful, refreshing and hot(spicy)salads I've ever tasted. This we later found out is called Som Tam (green papaya salad.) When we returned to Sydney, to my disaapointment, although there are literally thousands of thai restaurants in the city, very few had som tam in their manu. I tried making this myself but nothing can beat the first som tam I ever tasted in my life by the unknown old woman by the gates of old Sukhothai. Thank you dear old lady for introducing me to culinary heaven.

Favorite Dish: Som Tam as I really don't know what other things she had in her non written menu . She could ven have had other even more delightful food instore there but had no way of knowing then.

Instant Answers: Sukhothai

Comments

Sukhothai Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Sukhothai restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sukhothai sightseeing.