What to pack for Thailand

by vpas

Most Viewed What to Pack in Thailand

• Take a HUGE suitcase and big carry-on bag

by Ally_Bally Written Feb 9, 2012

Luggage and bags: Pack light because chances are you will get heaps more stuff over there.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Pack shorts, light shirts and skirts for the cooler days. Pack something for the cold wether because sometimes the temperatures drops dramaticaly. You can buy Havaianas over there for really cheap. i came back with 6 pairs so dont take any thongs.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Your hotel will supply you with shampoo, conditioner and soap and other nessacary toiletries. Take any medical supplies and if your worried about taking medicine, ask your doctor about printing of a medical certificat.

Photo Equipment: Camera is nessacery! Didgital camera's are better because you take heaps of pictures. Waterproof cameras are better if you go in toures because you go in the water.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: I can't imagine you going camping or that stuff in Thialand. But there beaches are beautiful! Take 1 pair of swimmwers coz you will buy more over there. Take sunscreen and aloe vera gell and dry skin car for all thoose people with fair skin

Miscellaneous: MBK is a huge hit in bangkok

• Water Sports
    • Trains

• earthflyer's Profile Photo

Packing for Thailand

by earthflyer Written Oct 9, 2011

Luggage and bags: One small case and one day pack, thats all you need, just fill them up with essentials. Thailand is a great place for shopping and is cheap they also have plenty of pharmecy shops so you can get all your personal items there as well, just like back home. Thailand is home from home.

Keep cameras in day pack unless you have seperate bag.

• Singles

• Pack light

by myshell... Written May 18, 2010

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Take into account that the weather in Thailand is generally very hot and humid, try to wear light clothes that don't attract any unwanted heat..

Miscellaneous: Remember that in places like Phuket its VERY hot so if your thinking about doing your own laundry, its a cheap alternative and means you can pack light, as you will definately be bringing back alot of souviners

• GitaP's Profile Photo

Coral cuts are awful, protect your feet.

by GitaP Written Apr 30, 2010

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Strong canvas shoes to walk over coral is a must.
    If you're prone to sunburn, carry a thin long sleeved cotton shirt.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Thai pharmacies are very helpful but communication may be a problem. I have a standard medical kit that includes imodium, antiseptic cream, throat lozenges, a broad spectrum antibiotic and the usual paraphenalia for cuts etc. Also bring your spectacle prescription along and make spare pairs fro enxt to nothing.

Photo Equipment: In humid environments, ensure that your camera case is completely waterproof

• Beaches

• DennyP's Profile Photo

CARRY A RELIABLE MOSQUITO RELELLANT

by DennyP Updated Jan 23, 2010

Luggage and bags: A SMALL BACKPACK TO CARRY A COUPLE OF NECCESARIES.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: A GOOD PAIR OF WALKING SHOES/BOOTS

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: DUE TO THE HEAT AND HUMIDITY A GOOD MOSQUITO REPELLANT AND SUN BLOCKOUT IS A NECESSITY IN THE TROPICS..
    I CARRY A SMALL TUBE OF ANTISEPTIC CREAM AND SMALL BOTTLE ANTISEPTIC HANDWASH.. SMALL PACK OF FACEWIPES(MOISTURISERS)

Photo Equipment: ALWAYS MAKE SURE THAT THE DIGITAL CAMERA BATTERY IS CHARGED...
    I ALSO CARRY A SPARE MEMORY CARD..

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: A GOOD THING TO CARRY HERE IS ALSO A PONCHO THAT CAN ROLL UP POCKETSIZE...AS IT RAINS ANYTIME HERE..
    ALWAYS CARRY A LARGE BOTTLE OF WATER..

Miscellaneous: A SELF CHARGING TORCH FOR THOSE STREETS WITHOUT LIGHTS.. AND NIGHTIME ACTIVITIES..
    A SPARE PAIR OF GLASSES.
    A SMALL PACKET OF TISSUE...IN CASE THE ROLL IS EMPTY!!

ESSENTIAL STRONG MOSQUITO REPELLANT IN TROPICS ESSENTIAL TO HAVE HANDY TOILET ITEMS CHARGER,SPARE MEMORY CARD, INT.POWERPOINT ADAPTOR COMPACT SELF CHARGING TORCH COMPACT PONCHO ROLLS UP TO POCKETSIZE..ESSENTIAL
    • Trains

• pinkduck's Profile Photo

Adapters for electrical items

by pinkduck Updated Dec 7, 2009

Miscellaneous: Always pack an adaptor for your electrical items to be charged (mobile phone, camera, lap top, shaver, toothbrush and so on. -- it is a good idea to also take a power board from your country so that you can charge more than one item at a time. The adapater plugs into the wall and the power board plugs into that giving you 4 (or 6) outlets) Remember to leave your charging for a long as you can as the electricity current is so much lower than Australia and possibly other countries.

• Ultra compact mosquito net/dome

by seagypsy Written Sep 15, 2009

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: REI.com sells an ultra compact mosquito net that forms a dome over your head and the netting runs the length of your body. I've packed if for nearly 20 years of travel and it's a god-send for the occasional time when the blood suckers are after you in a room that doesn't block these pests.

Miscellaneous: There is a good local brand in SEA called Sketelone and as previously mentioned, some pharmacies and even some 7-11s sell them.
    However, I've been travelling with the same mosquito net dome for nearly 20 years and I got it from REI (Recreational Equipment Inc.?) a long time ago. But they still sell one similar to the original one I got and it's called the Bug Hut 1 (bottom of the website I've linked: http://www.rei.com/search?search=mosquito+net ).
    It forms a mosquito net dome on the upper half of your body and the netting runs the length of your body. The older model was only less than an inch in diameter and ultra light. When I bought mine, it cost only U$25 but now the similar Bug Hut 1 model is U$39. It's come in handy many multiple times. I've also got the Bug Hut 2 two person mosquito tent which I've also used in Laos. Very good. Anyways, good luck with regards to keeping mozzies away!

• Camping
    • Eco-Tourism

• YaaDong's Profile Photo

Packing Lists for Thailand

by YaaDong Updated Sep 1, 2009

Luggage and bags: Suitcase with wheels
    Backpack

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring loose, very light clothing that breathes. The heat is stifling at times, don't pack any nylon underwear or bras as you'll regret it. Shorts, socks, sport sandals and a lightweight loose shirt are best.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sunscreen
    Vitamins
    Ear plugs
    Birth Control
    Handkerchief or tissue
    Large plastic bags with zippers for wet articles

Photo Equipment: Digital camera

Sunglasses
    Hat

Miscellaneous: A/C 3 Prong Plug adapters
    Thai dictionary
    Emergency cards for each person coming
    Cash or traveler's checks
    Printed copies of hotel, rental car confirmations
    Guidebooks
    Maps
    Luggage locks

• lindyz's Profile Photo

Recycle and Re-use

by lindyz Written Jul 5, 2009

Miscellaneous: When I travel, I tend to pack a bit differently to most people. For the months before I leave, I start putting aside old clothes that I will take away, wear and then throw away or give to the people that clean our room usually. The room cleaners are usually quite over the moon at getting stuff for free, even though it is second-hand, they still love it! I feel I am doing my bit by recycling my stuff. About 3/4 of the clothes I take to a country stays there, making more room to buy new stuff. I dont like to do a lot of washing of clothes while on holidays, so this packing method works well for me!! I also dont usually buy a lot of clothes for myself while on holidays in Asia, mainly due to their sizing! In Australia, I am anything from a size 10 to a size 14, however when in Asia, I am usually an XXL!!!!!! Im not sure I like being told that they have nothing BIG enough to fit me!!

• Get ready to sweat!

by Easton13 Written Jun 4, 2009

Luggage and bags: Last year, I went on a 6 week tour in Thailand in the months of June and July. ( what was supposed to be the rainy season - ya right!) I went out to MEC and bought a 45L packpack that was fit for my body, and I was set. ( I am a 22 year old girl, and I probably could have gotten away with a lot less in my bag) If you would like to do shopping while you are there, leave a little bit extra space in your backpack before you go, just so that you don't have to immediately purchase another bag to be hauling around. And once you are about to go home, thats when you should purchase a second bag to start filling with all the wonderful treasures you are wanting to take home with you. ( A nice suitcase with wheels is usually around $20-$30 Can.)

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: In terms of shoes, all I packed was a nice comfortable pair of UnderArmour flipflops, which got me through 95% of my trip. Most of the people I went with walked around barefoot. The other 5% of my trip, I bought sport sandals ( the ones with the velcro around your ankle and toes) for hiking and zip lining and active activities.
    As for rain gear and umbrellas, to be perfectly honest with you, YOU DON"T NEED IT. You will find when you are there, when you sit in the sun day in and day out, and it starts to rain, you are happy to get a little bit wet with a nice cool rainshower, and if it gets to be a hard pour down, stand under the nearest roof. Rain is welcomed!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Toiletries and meds. I would suggest to take a small FirstAid kit, simply because it is hard to come across bandaids and polysporin ( however, they are there, you just have to be patient to find them) If something a little bit bigger does happen to you, the hospitals are WONDERFUL there. I work on an ambulance, so I helped out a few people on my trip who had to go to the hospital for minor things, and I could not believe how clean it was. They had fresh fruit everywhere, the doctors knew what they were doing and you honestly feel like royalty there!

Photo Equipment: All I took was a standard digital camera, and I was happy with it. One of the travellers I went with took a video camera and a larger more professional camera, and he had no problems with it. ( just keep it hidden when not using it, just for safe keeping.) If something happens to break, or you forget it, there are many places there to buy a perfectly wonderful digital camera there. Maybe about $50 Can.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Camping, well, really, why would you cover yourself up with a tent if you are on the beach? However, if you are wanting to camp in the forest, then yes, a little tent I am sure would be helpful. Simply because there are LOTS and LOTS of mosquitos in the forest when it gets dark out.
    Beach gear, I cannot tell you how many evenings we played Ultimate Frisbee on the beaches, so bring a firsbee FOR SURE!! Other than that, usually the towels are provided for you, so you won't need to bring a beach towel. One that I did bring, however, was one of those ultra absorbing hand towels for getting out of the shower. You don't really need anything larger than a hand towel, simply because you with either dry off as soon as you step into the sun, or you will just start sweating again!

Miscellaneous: If you are wanting to go into the temples, the main rules are that you cannot have your knees showing aswell as your shoulders. From there, it will all be fine. I just wore capri pants and a light Tshirt. For most of the acutal buildings that you get to go into, you must remove our footwear, so don't worry about footwear.

GIRLS - don't even BOTHER thinking about taking a hairdryer or straightener. You will be sweating in no time and all your work will be ruined anyway. DO take either hairspray or moose, because they will help you out! Makeup - take a little bit if you wish, makesure its waterproof or else it just won't last.

GUYS - as for clothing. One of the guys that I went with, all he brought was his school backback with 2 tshirts and 3 bathing trunks. And he was fine. He rarely wore a shirt anyway.

SUNSCREEN, SUNSCREEN, SUNSCREEN! You don't want to be burned and cannot go out in the sun because its hurts too much, take care of yourself ( i found out the hard way!) Take some AloeVera! ( it will be your best friend by the end of your trip)

Do remember to take bug spray, as the mosquitos LOVE all the sweaty little people around there. One thing that I did was instead of spraying my skin, I sprayed my tshirt and shorts and shoes before I put them on. Or my hammock before I layed down. That way you don't get all sticky.

The FOOD is spectacular. If you have allergies to peanuts or rice or dairy, thats fine, just order like you would at home. There are MANY different things you can order, EVEN pasta!

If there are ANY questions, please do not hesitate to email me and ask, I would be happy to answer ANY questions that you throw my way!
    i.am.cndn@hotmail.com

• Museum Visits
    • Beaches
    • Photography

• LINSY's Profile Photo

don't bother with much!

by LINSY Written May 8, 2009

Luggage and bags: hand luggage and an empty suitcase

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: we over-packed completely and none of our clothing was suitable for that heat. coming from south africa we thought we would be ok with our regular summer clothes - no way! simple, loose fitting cotton is the way to go. be warned though, a regular sized 14 western girl may have some trouble finding sizes. the hawkers kept shouting TRIPLE XTRA LARGE as we walked past - embarrassing! That said, us regular sized 14 gals still had trouble hauling all our shopping back home..........

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: prescriptions, mozzie repellant and sunblock!

Photo Equipment: we developed all our pics there on the last day and it cost us a third of what it does back home!

Miscellaneous: hairdryers! what were we thinking????!!! your hair will have no choice but to go au natural - enjoy and use a gel.......

• Women's Travel

• Not so much

by lucy60 Written Sep 10, 2008

Luggage and bags: Few things, you may buy almost everything there.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Use sandal, closed shoes only for trekking. For woman there are a lot of shops that sells fine dress. Long troser only in some elegant restaurant and for some places like Grand Palace. Shirt are chepear here than in other western countries.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: You may found common mark of tioletry in all supermarket or in Seven Eleven (open 24 h/daily). You nedd some antibiotics for intestinal disease or cold caused by a/c, but you may found them in every pharmacy. The best thing to do is vaccination before the travel:
    1) typhus and paratyphus (3 pastille): take one on alternate days
    2) malaria is overestimates, you nedd medication inly if you go in rural areas (the best is mefluochine)
    3) rabies because there are a lot of dogs without any control
    4) tetanus.
    All these vaccination are only precautions if something go wrong and you are not obliged to do.

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Tourist Visa Requirement for US Citizens

by GracesTrips Updated Aug 4, 2008

Miscellaneous: For United States Passport Holders
    You will need:
    Actual passport cannot expire within 6 months of your visit.
    1 copy of your Passport
    Application Form
    2 Photos 2"X2" color, front-view, taken within 6 months, write your first and last name on the back of each photo.
    Visa Fee is $35 (right now), must be paid by money order or cashier's check payable to "Royal Thai Consulate General Los Angeles" - Cash, personal or company checks are NOT acceptable.

If applying by mail, include a self-addressed stamped envelope with sufficient postage (Express Mail) must be included for the return of your passport. Do not use regular, certified or registered mail as this will delay the processing of your application (as written according to the website).

If applying in person, you must leave your documents (including passport) and you can pick it up the next day by presenting your receipt. Anyone can pick them up for you as well as dropping off your documents. The address of the Royal Thai Consulate General in Los Angeles is 611 N. Larchmont Blvd. 2nd Floor. Walk-in Visa services are from 9am - 12pm with last application submitted by 11:30am. Pick-up documents between 10:30am - 12pm.

• lauren6's Profile Photo

Nothing is hard to find

by lauren6 Written Jul 20, 2008

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Pack clothes that dry quickly are light and easy to layer.

List:
    Rain jacket - think jungle/humidity on this one when selecting
    sandals/flip flops
    water hiking shoes
    socks - wick drying (it is dirty and muddy in places)
    undies (of course)
    bathing suit
    pants and long shirt actually kept me cooler with skin covered
    a dress is a good option in thailand
    skirt
    sun screen and repellent (yes, yes, and yes)
    hat/sun glasses
    sarong to cover me when cold, in wats, etc.
    pair of shorts
    tanks (nice ones)

day pack for water and little camera. Really needed nothing. Even my allergies were non-existant.

The less you take, the more you enjoy.

• bulldogtwo's Profile Photo

Traveling in Southern Thailand

by bulldogtwo Updated Jun 6, 2008

Luggage and bags: Back pack and if needed, small duffle bag

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Couple pair of shorts, sandals, tennis shoes, 3-4 t-shirts, 1 dress shirt, 1 pair lightweight dress pants, sunblock

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: small med kit, anitceptic, band aids. You can buy everything else you need cheaply, if needed.

Photo Equipment: small digital and couple extra cd's.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: use you shorts or swim suit, t's and sandals.

Miscellaneous: The short answer is yes. But I would recommend that you do not unless you absolutely have to. Are you flying in from Bangkok? Or are you returning to Phuket from Krabi or Phi Phi? If yes to either then you can put you bags in storage at the hotel you may be staying at in Bangkok or Phuket until you return. Of course I am guessing as to why you want or need to travel with both bags. But, travelling light is always better and I am sure that you can get by with a lot less. The hotel may even charge you a bit but most will not, especially if you are going to return. If you can avoid the hassle of dragging around two bags...
    The Thai's always respond better and respect a nicely dressed person. Dress conservatively. Many tourist don't believe you should have to given Thailands's reputation, but that is not true. Thailand is still a very conservative country. You can still accomplish that wearing shorts and a decent t-shirt or what I use are the lightweight Columbia shirts that dry quickly. They are button down and you can use them as beach wear or as a dress shirt going out to dinner at night to a nice place. Same thing with the shorts, a nice pair can double for beach and dinner but I always recommend a lightweight pair of pants.

Good Luck
    Mai Phen Rai Krup!

Thailand Hotels

• The Oriental, Bangkok

its an experience one must have...stay there at any cost. its totally worth it in every way u can...

• Trisara

Stayed here during my honeymoon. The most luxury I've ever stayed in! Got a discounted rate because...

• Rachamankha

Stunning boutique hotel hotel with a Zen-Thai Temple charm. The hotel has open, frangipani scented...

Top Thailand Hotels

234 Reviews - 714 Photos
Ko Chang Hotels
227 Reviews - 564 Photos

Instant Answers: Thailand

Comments

Thailand What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Thailand what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Thailand sightseeing.
Map of Thailand